The Three Heads of Rhaegar's Dragon

Lost Melnibonean

My own personal crackpot theory states that Rheagar thought the three heads of the dragon were his three children. Rheanys and Aegon, his children by Elia, and his bastard by Lyanna. In fact, the whole reason behind Lyanna was to have the third child, who he thought would grow to be Dany. But I haven't complied everything yet.

7 hours ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

My own personal crackpot theory states that Rheagar thought the three heads of the dragon were his three children. Rheanys and Aegon, his children by Elia, and his bastard by Lyanna. In fact, the whole reason behind Lyanna was to have the third child, who he thought would grow to be Dany. But I haven't complied everything yet.

Dude!

Now that's just crazy!

:D

:wub:

Just to go counter to all of this because, you know, it adds spice to life, I think Rhaegar might have considered himself one of the heads of the dragon. Dany placed the green dragon egg next to Drogo's head, and then proceeds to name the dragon for the fallen brother. 

Yes, Rhaegar was intelligent and bookish, but IIRC, we start finding out about his personality when Barristan joins Dany which happens after we find out about the three heads of the dragon in the House and the Chamber of the Undying. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 2:34 PM, Khal Varys said:

I appreciate all the contemplation that must have went into this.  While reading about the Dornish connection to the Prophecy it dawned on me that if your theorum was correct that it would make Young Griff's locale not as random as it seems rowing down the Rhoyne, wouldn't it?  If that's accurate, the clues are sorta right there staring at us.  Prince Garin would be the most fabled prince of that region and of course unleashed the great Rhoynish curse of Greyscale and all its forms.  

I kind of like the idea that multiple sources may be required to come together to face this threat and that in so doing there's all kinds of well meaning people herrings clues mixed up or confused or not puzzled out quite as well as intended because the way they look at clues is literal or something like that.  

I like these alternative ideas and I'll be looking at the clues with this viewpoint in mind.

Regarding greyscale, it's exceedingly likely that our Aegon('s entourage) will be the cause of a greyscale epidemic in Westeros.

Regarding the Dornish link between the Rhoynish and Aegon (and in particular the Martells as the descendents of Nymeria), guess which Great House plans on joining Aegon?

I've always been a firm believer that Aegon is the mummer's dragon but this Rhoynish PtwP theory has swung me back almost to undecided.

On 10/29/2017 at 3:25 PM, 1000th Lord Commander said:

Well if im right, Rhaegar's 3 children will be the three heads. With one head devouring the other as per Tyrions dreams and the 3 headed statue of Trios. This is Aegon the first born, Jon the second, and Daenerys the last. With the cyclic story of two brothers fighting for their sister/throne. Just my opinion

On 09/08/2017 at 5:07 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

An Aegon was the leader of the greens in the first Dance of Dragons, so it stands to reason that our wee Aegon (there never was a nobler lad) can be associated with green. And, well, the babe was the leader of the blacks, right? So it stands to reason that our babe, the hot chick on the black dragon, can be associated with black. If you search a bit, you'll find all kinds of green and black contrasts and combinations throughout ASOIAF. Perhaps it's nothing more than coincidence, but I highly doubt that. There was a reason for all those green and black color references. 

And we already knew about Jon being associated with blue...

I started thinking about whether these colour associations could be clues about each Dragon's future major alliances and/or allegiances.

First I thought of sigils. As often when predicting the future of the books, the show's events may hold some clues, and show watchers will probably easily be able to see what's influenced my choices - however I'll make an effort to back them up with book evidence too.

Aegon

Various Reach lords: This shouldn't need much explanation; Jon Connington explicitly mentions 'Friends in the Reach', one of the most likely candidate for whom is House Tarly. Colour-wise, the Reach, with its fertile, green lands and cultural tradition of descent from Garth the Green makes it an obvious fit - even more in a sigil-based investigation given so many of its sigils (including House Tarly, a striding huntsman on green) make use of the colour. The Tyrells are much-disliked amongst their vassals, are tied to a crumbling Lannister regime, and the Reach was mostly loyalist (ie, pro-Targaryen) during Robert's Rebellion. Don't forget that this region can field the most men out of them all.

Jon

The Vale: There are two main options for the future of the Vale. Either Littlefinger gets them involved in the politics of the North as part of Sansa's claim to Winterfell, or he gets deposed - in which case one of Sansa (a natural ally of Jon) or a senior lord, probably Royce (distant Stark relative, fellow First Man, Eddard grew up in the Vale, wanted to support Robb, etc etc) takes de facto control of House Arryn through whoever's in charge of it and therefore the Vale at that point. House Arryn's sigil? Blue falcon against white moon on blue field. This would be a major alliance for Jon given the Knights of the Vale are perhaps the biggest remaining force in Westeros untouched by the War of the Five Kings.

Daenerys

House Greyjoy: My first thought for black was the Night's Watch but I really can't see them (a) supporting a side in a future 3-way Dance of the Dragons 2.0 or (b) if they do declare, not doing so for their former Lord Commander Jon - perhaps Samwell would be convinced by Marwin of Daenerys' prophetic significance, return to the Watch, become an influential figure and somehow fall out with Jon? Unlikely. Then I remembered that House Greyjoy's sigil is a golden kraken on black, and it seems as though (whether they actually ally or not) Euron and Victarion's storylines are set on convergence with Daenerys'. Both have the intention of taking her as a wife and stealing a dragon, which would undoubtedly prompt interactions, to say the least, with her. On top of that, Daenerys has been looking for enough transport to get her sizeable army to Westeros for a while now - and the Iron Fleet is showing up in Meereen...

I'm quite happy with the Aegon-Reach and Daenerys-Greyjoy links, but I'm just not so sure the Jon-Arryn link works as well. The easy answer here would be that we're overanalysing in our inclusion of the blue in this pattern, but then it struck me - Jon has other potential blue allies.

Let's have another look at alliances and allegiances, based on symbolic colour, starting with the connection which prompted this line of inquiry.

Jon

The Others: Yeah that's right, I'm going there with this train of thought. For those unacquainted with the Jon-Others theory, it boils down to this: It's very unlike George RR Martin to give us an orc-like race of pure evil beings like the Others without them having some other motivation than kill kill kill. The best way to humanise them would be to give them a PoV. Jon is dead and at the Wall. The Night's King was a Stark. What's the point in the Wall if there are humans north of it anyway; could it have been a failed attempt to keep the humans out? The Night King, so perhaps other early Lord Commanders too, was almost certainly involved with the Others in some way. The Black Gate indicates that there used to be some form of communication between the north and south Sides of the wall, in which the Night's Watch played a part. It's also very unlike George RR Martin for everything to just boil down to a huge final battle. TL;DR Jon will either be one of or an ambassador for the Others and repeat the end of the last Long Night with a pact between the Others and humans, joint control of the border et cetera. Even if it doesn't go to that full extent, I posit that Jon will get mixed up with the Others, much as he did with the Wildlings.

Aegon

The 'Greenlands': That's what the Ironborn call mainland Westeros. There has been much discussion of the possibility that Aegon wraps things up in the South, consolidating his rule as part of the traditional dynasty, a benevolent replacement for the crazy Lannister-Baratheon dynasty, etc, before Daenerys even gets anywhere near landing - turning her triumphant return home into a foreign, savage invasion and usurpation attempt by someone lower down the line of succession, a tyrant who burns people to death with her sentient WMDs. Either that or Daenerys realises that she only ever wanted to rule Westeros because she thought that would constitute going home and, having realised that was wrong, cedes the throne to Aegon in order to focus on more important matters (see below) - therefore leaving the 'Greenlands' to him.

Daenerys

The Night's Watch: In that case, where does Daenerys go? To fulfill the prophecies (or not, depending on your take on the issues elsewhere in this thread) and use her dragons where they can be even more effective than usual, against creatures of ice. Here, the issue of greater allegiance to Jon has been eliminated as he's (again) a traitor and, come on, they can hardly turn her down. There could be an interesting twist in Daenerys' vision of herself melting an army of warriors in ice on the Trident - she's fighting against Jon's people. Yes, it may not be on the Trident, but perhaps that's a metaphor for the conflict between Robert and Rhaegar. That itself has many plausible sub-possibilities and this post is already quite long, so I'll leave it up for further discussion unless you're satisfied with just letting your imagination run wild (who knows, another post like this could come out of it!).

So this leaves us with the setup of: Aegon ruling on the Iron Throne, Daenerys taking the lead in the defense of the Wall, and Jon involved with the Others.

P.S.: I'd like to add my own piece of evidence to the Jon-Others theory that I haven't seen anywhere before. We're all familiar with the 'blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice' quote from Daenerys' House of the Undying visions, undoubtedly representing Jon and the Wall, right? Well, what about the chink? A chink is like the beginnings of a larger crack if more pressure is applied - such as a flower growing within it - that eventually threatens to bring the whole structure containing the chink down. As the 'flower' of Jon Snow grows at the Wall, he threatens its stability more and more - first as a fake ally of Mance Rayder's wildling invasion, then by taking sides in a Southern conflict by effectively allying with Stannis, then by allowing the wildlings through the Wall, then by trying to lead an army of wildlings to take Winterfell, then... ... ... and then, finally, by making common cause with the Others?

Please let me know if I'm completely off my rocker or if I've missed something huge - despite having lurked on these forums for a while, this is only my third post ever and it's HUGE!

On 10/27/2017 at 3:46 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Then you are assuming, then, that the three heads of the dragon must survive, at least until near the end of the story, and that the three riders who fly them at the end will be united in a fight against the Others, and those three riders must be the three heads of Rhaegar's dragon? 

I don't assume the three heads necessarily have to be dragonriders, or that all dragonriders must be heads of the dragon (since we know a dragon rider can die and the dragon can choose another rider).

But yes I assume that the three heads have to work together against the Others, and that they probably need to all three be alive near the end of the story.

Apologies for the late reply. I've been unwell.

17 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I don't assume the three heads necessarily have to be dragonriders, or that all dragonriders must be heads of the dragon (since we know a dragon rider can die and the dragon can choose another rider).

But yes I assume that the three heads have to work together against the Others, and that they probably need to all three be alive near the end of the story.

Apologies for the late reply. I've been unwell.

Hope you're feeling better. 

Archived