Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Corvinus

Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread (nah, not really)

15 posts in this topic

I am not a huge fan of the look of the elite guards. I love that new poster, though.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I am not a huge fan of the look of the elite guards. I love that new poster, though.

Wasn't either.  The explanation really didn't do it for me either.  "Samurai"?  Really??

I like how the guards have Kylo Ren-like visors (maybe the guard are made up of Ren Knights?) but other than being red they don't feel that much like Praetorian guards from the earlier films. I guess ninja/samurai sells though and why bother buying more old school praetorian guard figures? Cynical insight but if Marvel apparently didn't take any ticket sales from "Spider-man homecoming" because the merch sales make up for it - then Star Wars/Disney really have to take such things seriously. Not that this is news to anyone but I suspect most decisions surrounding star wars always has someone in the meeting saying "would this make new merchandise?"

The silly thing is they could just make these guards something else and people would still buy.

I like that they use the term Praetorian guards. It's just a shame that in the films they don't take more inspiration from the roman group and have evolve from guards to "kingmakers" and quite powerful in of themselves. Given the time that's elapsed a similar thing could have happened in start wars. Maybe the change in appearance will be indicative of that.

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Rian Johnson and Mark Hamill recommend avoiding future trailers and marketing due to plot points being spoiled.

I hope I can remain strong and do this. Too many recent movies have been spoiled by too much reveal in trailers... Spider-man Homecoming being the most recent glaring example.

Hmm, strong am I... but not that strong.

5 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Rian Johnson and Mark Hamill recommend avoiding future trailers and marketing due to plot points being spoiled.

I hope I can remain strong and do this. Too many recent movies have been spoiled by too much reveal in trailers... Spider-man Homecoming being the most recent glaring example.

some of it's pretty hard to avoid though in terms of marketing. Yes, I can choose not to watch promo-pieces but it's hard to avoid adverts (I still remember that damn car ad that essentially revealed Rey was force sensitive).

Avoiding shops that sell lego seems to be pretty important these days too.

Seriously, the fucking director has to ask people to avoid it's own marketing? Why do they feel they need to spoil stuff to sell tickets? In what world would this not be a massive box office success?

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

More pull-ups!

I hope this is just a 'you'll appreciate it more if you go in blind' thing rather than there being significant spoilers in the trailer

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I hope this is just a 'you'll appreciate it more if you go in blind' thing rather than there being significant spoilers in the trailer

I'd be very disappointed if the trailer has spoilers in it. What's more problematic are those "behind the scenes" features which crop up with quite a lot of scenes featured as opposed to edited clips. We only need a scene with Leia at some political meeting or 2 minutes of Luke talking to Rey and a lot of the plot/context of the film could be given away. or some shit with Luke saying he has to balance the force and then an extreme close up on Kylo Ren.

11 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Seriously, the fucking director has to ask people to avoid it's own marketing? Why do they feel they need to spoil stuff to sell tickets? In what world would this not be a massive box office success?

It is crazy. Disney could double their profits and not even bother advertising this film. News sites will happily do it for them.

Like I said with the toy ads, etc it's often not a case of them wanting to spoil the film to sell tickets but spoil the film to sell merchandising deals.

16 hours ago, Corvinus said:

That... is why you fail

42 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That... is why you fail

Yup, Yoda dying was his failure. :P