Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I am not a huge fan of the look of the elite guards. I love that new poster, though.

Wasn't either.  The explanation really didn't do it for me either.  "Samurai"?  Really??

I like how the guards have Kylo Ren-like visors (maybe the guard are made up of Ren Knights?) but other than being red they don't feel that much like Praetorian guards from the earlier films. I guess ninja/samurai sells though and why bother buying more old school praetorian guard figures? Cynical insight but if Marvel apparently didn't take any ticket sales from "Spider-man homecoming" because the merch sales make up for it - then Star Wars/Disney really have to take such things seriously. Not that this is news to anyone but I suspect most decisions surrounding star wars always has someone in the meeting saying "would this make new merchandise?"

The silly thing is they could just make these guards something else and people would still buy.

I like that they use the term Praetorian guards. It's just a shame that in the films they don't take more inspiration from the roman group and have evolve from guards to "kingmakers" and quite powerful in of themselves. Given the time that's elapsed a similar thing could have happened in start wars. Maybe the change in appearance will be indicative of that.

Rian Johnson and Mark Hamill recommend avoiding future trailers and marketing due to plot points being spoiled.

I hope I can remain strong and do this. Too many recent movies have been spoiled by too much reveal in trailers... Spider-man Homecoming being the most recent glaring example.

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Rian Johnson and Mark Hamill recommend avoiding future trailers and marketing due to plot points being spoiled.

I hope I can remain strong and do this. Too many recent movies have been spoiled by too much reveal in trailers... Spider-man Homecoming being the most recent glaring example.

Hmm, strong am I... but not that strong.

5 hours ago, Myrddin said:

some of it's pretty hard to avoid though in terms of marketing. Yes, I can choose not to watch promo-pieces but it's hard to avoid adverts (I still remember that damn car ad that essentially revealed Rey was force sensitive).

Avoiding shops that sell lego seems to be pretty important these days too.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I hope this is just a 'you'll appreciate it more if you go in blind' thing rather than there being significant spoilers in the trailer

I'd be very disappointed if the trailer has spoilers in it. What's more problematic are those "behind the scenes" features which crop up with quite a lot of scenes featured as opposed to edited clips. We only need a scene with Leia at some political meeting or 2 minutes of Luke talking to Rey and a lot of the plot/context of the film could be given away. or some shit with Luke saying he has to balance the force and then an extreme close up on Kylo Ren.

11 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Seriously, the fucking director has to ask people to avoid it's own marketing? Why do they feel they need to spoil stuff to sell tickets? In what world would this not be a massive box office success?

It is crazy. Disney could double their profits and not even bother advertising this film. News sites will happily do it for them.

Like I said with the toy ads, etc it's often not a case of them wanting to spoil the film to sell tickets but spoil the film to sell merchandising deals.

Obi-Wan movie all-but-confirmed for 2020.

No word on Mcgregor returning (although it would take the piss if he didn't) but Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliott) is in the frame to direct.

I'm apathetic on prequels at this point, but I will pay top dollar to see Mcgregor playing Obi-Wan in a non-crap Star Wars movie. It could be a Tatooine spaghetti western. It could be Goodfellas with Jabba. It could have musical numbers in it. I don't care. Just give the guy a good script and the chance to cut some bad guys up with a lightsabre.

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

Obi-Wan movie all-but-confirmed for 2020.

No word on Mcgregor returning (although it would take the piss if he didn't) but Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliott) is in the frame to direct.

I'm apathetic on prequels at this point, but I will pay top dollar to see Mcgregor playing Obi-Wan in a non-crap Star Wars movie. It could be a Tatooine spaghetti western. It could be Goodfellas with Jabba. It could have musical numbers in it. I don't care. Just give the guy a good script and the chance to cut some bad guys up with a lightsabre.

Obi Wan the Friendly Force Ghost? I love Obi Wan but with the OT, Prequels, The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels, I've seen enough of Obi Wan. I really wish Disney would take chances with other possibilities in  the Star Wars Universe.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Obi Wan the Friendly Force Ghost? I love Obi Wan but with the OT, Prequels, The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels, I've seen enough of Obi Wan. I really wish Disney would take chances with other possibilities in  the Star Wars Universe.

Indeed.  Makes the Galaxy seem smaller when you only focus on those few characters.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Indeed.  Makes the Galaxy seem smaller when you only focus on those few characters.

My issue is not so much with the Obi Wan movie itself, it is with all three stand alone movies being set in the exact same time period. To tell the complete truth, I think that the Obi Wan stand alone is the best idea so far.

I think telling the back story of Solo is dangerous in that it strips the audience from romanticizing his past and origin. It had better pull off telling one hell of a story to get it better than what we all have in our own imagination. With Rogue One, I got absolutely nothing that wasn't handled with the opening crawl of Star Wars. Sure there were cool scenes, but it really developed very little in the universe.

With Obi Wan, we are getting an addition to the story. We are filling in the gaps of a character. We are also getting the very best of what the prequels had to offer in Ewen McGregors take on him. Whether you liked the prequels or not, most people will say that he did a fantastic job with the role.

I also think that this will expand the lore of the Universe. I think that we are going to get a far bigger look at the Force than through just the lenses of Sith and Jedi here. I also think that we may be getting this through the prism of a good old fashioned Spaghetti Western. All in all, I think this is a fine direction to go for the studio that looks questionable when seen compared to the other directions LucasArts have chosen to go down so far.

Archived