Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

This is pretty neat: a school used Ralph McQuarrie's original concept art for Star Wars and created a live-action / CGI version to imagine what if Lucas had made his original script

Edit: it's just an imagined trailer for a movie that will never exist.

14 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

This is pretty neat: a school used Ralph McQuarrie's original concept art for Star Wars and created a live-action / CGI version to imagine what if Lucas had made his original script

Thats awesome.. and looks a bit like Star Wars Rebels to me!

6 hours ago, Einheri said:

I have a feeling that this movie will have a mixed reception among the fans of this series as well. Certain plot developments are definitely going to leave some fans disappointed.

The main criticism this reviewer had for the movie was that the story was pretty much at the same place at the end as it was at the start. If they are going for soap opera levels of story progression to be able to string out these movies indefinitely there will be audience drop off. People will start enjoying the inbetween fillers more because those will be single self-contained stories. That may be partly why I liked Rogue One more than A New Hope II  The Force Awakens. 

23 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The main criticism this reviewer had for the movie was that the story was pretty much at the same place at the end as it was at the start. 

I think he/she must have gotten confused and mistakenly watched a Bluray of Force Awakens, then. Because he/she clearly saw a different movie than I did.

46 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Are things going to stay spoiler tagged for at least a few days to account for different release dates? Or should I just bow out now?

I created a separate spoiler thread a little while ago. So this one should remain spoiler free (imho). People can move to the other thread to discuss the movie in detail, once they've seen it.

45 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Not trying to be a dick, but I thought you were boycotting all Disney in light of the Fox deal?

Yup,  as soon as it happens that's the plan. 

Edit -  well shit,  I guess it's a done deal. Missed that news yesterday. Poop. 

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

Yup,  as soon as it happens that's the plan. 

Edit -  well shit,  I guess it's a done deal. Missed that news yesterday. Poop. 

They're actually announcing it tomorrow, so technically you're good. I'm not sure but it may need to be approved by some regulatory agency first too.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

They're actually announcing it tomorrow, so technically you're good. I'm not sure but it may need to be approved by some regulatory agency first too.

There is some speculation that the regulators might throw a wrench in it because of the monopoly issues. It could be that the current deal is stitched up in such a way that Disney/Fox can offer to pull back on a few things to satisfy the regulator, and that what Disney really wants to get, and what Fox really wants to be rid of will go through.

Fromt he movie perspective there is probably a reasonable argument that WB, Universal and Sony/Columbia are big enough and have enough of a presence in movies that one can assume this part of the deal will be untouched by the regulator. Dunno about the rest of it. The whole TV / streaming thing seems a bit complicated. With Amazon Prime and Netflix you'd think they present a big enough market presence and decent competition. But then if Disney removes all of their content from those services how much of a hit in subscribers would they take?

9 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

But then if Disney removes all of their content from those services how much of a hit in subscribers would they take?

Hard to say, but that's why they've been focusing on original programming. That's already the only reason I keep my Netflix subscription. Their selection of movies really isn't that great. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Hard to say, but that's why they've been focusing on original programming. That's already the only reason I keep my Netflix subscription. Their selection of movies really isn't that great. 

Yes, I think probably 80% of what I watch on Netflix is their original content. 

Better than the last one - which I still think is crap because it is an exact rehash of the ANH formula. Down to the letter. And I still hate the setting of Rebels vs. Empire 2.0. That just sucks.

The new one is much better than the old one. It has very interesting twists.

But overall it just plays with traditional Star Wars themes almost in a 'What if...' scenario. That is interesting but you can also read fan fiction for that. You don't have to watch a movie.

And the whole pretense for a big chunk of the movie - 

Spoiler

the way they two guys have time to fucking leave the fleet while it is blown to pieces 

- just isn't believable at all.

A minor question for anyone who saw it:

Spoiler

Did you guys also originally thought that there must have been something more to the ability of the baddies to track the fleet? I thought that Finn may have an implant allowing them to track him (I thought Hux told Snoke about that during that audience in the beginning, and that was what got him back into the graces of the big bad) but in the end the whole thing was just nonsense.

The way the good guys figure out immediately what the baddies can do - and how they are doing it - is just nonsensical in the extreme.

Also still not liking the lack of aliens and them essentially only acting as background details when they show up.

In this new GFFA the humans are the Herrenmenschen in the aliens little more than zoo animals. That wasn't the case in the PT nor in TESB and ROTJ if you consider Yoda, Chewie, Jabba, Ackbar, and the Ewoks.

Those new movies (Rogue One included) haven't created a single memorable alien character aside from, perhaps, the bar lady from TFA.

Archived