Corvinus

Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread (nah, not really)

186 posts in this topic

Why give any weight to "could have been an interesting idea"? Every film ever made, good or bad, has some idea at its core that is interesting if you're willing to elaborate on it enough, IMO. STID had an incompetent script; STV had an incompetent-almost-everything.

At worst (to bring it back on topic), Episode XI will be a mediocre film, IMO, based on Abram's track record.

48 minutes ago, Ran said:

Every film ever made, good or bad, has some idea at its core that is interesting if you're willing to elaborate on it enough, IMO.

What's at the core of Into Darkness?

4 minutes ago, felice said:

Wrath of Khan.

8 minutes ago, felice said:

Making Khan a very sensitive, fair villain, who is willing to go very far in order to save his family. 

Viewing the Federation as not particularly that good of an organization, precursors of what we see in DS9. 

Don't get me wrong - I didn't think it was that good - but 'the core of the story' argument rings pretty hollow there. ST5 was utter shit. Into Darkness was a competently made meh movie. 

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Wrath of Khan.

Nah. It copies some superficial elements from movies 2 and 3, but it doesn't earn them. You might as well say the Star Trek episode Arena is the core of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

I always liked the "I need my pain" scene from V. It's almost bizarrely out of place in that film considering how awful the rest of it is.

And I always thought Into Darkness was supppsed to be a 9/11 parable.

John Jackson Miller, not John Jos Miller. Different guy.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

John Jackson Miller, not John Jos Miller. Different guy.

Oh, sorry. Those white millers all look the same to me

Wasn't the biggest criticism of the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies (after the whitewashing thing) that they felt too much like Star Wars movies?

Just sayin'...

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Wasn't the biggest criticism of the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies (after the whitewashing thing) that they felt too much like Star Wars movies?

Just sayin'...

Yep, and then he somehow contrived to make a Star Wars movie that didn't feel enough like a Star Wars movie even though he leaned super hard on the template of previous Star Wars movies.

Saying TFA didn't feel like a Star Wars movie is the oh, third craziest thing I'v heard today.

There was a whitewashing controversy around the original JJ Trek? How does that work?

23 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

There was a whitewashing controversy around the original JJ Trek? How does that work?

Khanberbatch

Hey, if JJ is doing IX, does that mean more Ewoks???  You know, because he likes to retread the previous movies...

I don't think he likes Jedi, actually. Pretty sure I read somewhere he hates Ewoks. How much did he have to do with the script in 7 anyway?

24 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Khanberbatch

Oh right, that's a weird one because Khan is supposed to be middle Eastern but was played by a Spanish guy. So I always kind of forget.

On 9/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hey, if JJ is doing IX, does that mean more Ewoks???  You know, because he likes to retread the previous movies...

Going by Force Awakens, I fully expect Finn to be captured by some sort of Crime Lord at the end of Last Jedi and so then Oscar Isaac has to try and save him by fake bringing in Chewbacca but then will in turn be captured himself and put in a metal speedo where eventually he gets to choke out the Crime Lord via a curtain.

25 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Oscar Isaac has to try and save him but then will in turn be captured himself and put in a metal speedo

You know, I may not hate that.

I'd also be quite happy to see Oscar Isaacs don a metal speedo. Purely for narrative reasons, of course

On 9/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Well, we have porgs in VIII, so maybe they skipped Empire and went right to Jedi. ;)