Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

43 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

My issue is not so much with the Obi Wan movie itself, it is with all three stand alone movies being set in the exact same time period. To tell the complete truth, I think that the Obi Wan stand alone is the best idea so far.

I think telling the back story of Solo is dangerous in that it strips the audience from romanticizing his past and origin. It had better pull off telling one hell of a story to get it better than what we all have in our own imagination. With Rogue One, I got absolutely nothing that wasn't handled with the opening crawl of Star Wars. Sure there were cool scenes, but it really developed very little in the universe.

With Obi Wan, we are getting an addition to the story. We are filling in the gaps of a character. We are also getting the very best of what the prequels had to offer in Ewen McGregors take on him. Whether you liked the prequels or not, most people will say that he did a fantastic job with the role.

I also think that this will expand the lore of the Universe. I think that we are going to get a far bigger look at the Force than through just the lenses of Sith and Jedi here. I also think that we may be getting this through the prism of a good old fashioned Spaghetti Western. All in all, I think this is a fine direction to go for the studio that looks questionable when seen compared to the other directions LucasArts have chosen to go down so far.

Rogue One showed that there was a less noble and darker side to the Rebel Alliance. It also showed what they were capable of without some great, noble hero to lead them (Luke & Leia).

25 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Rogue One showed that there was a less noble and darker side to the Rebel Alliance. It also showed what they were capable of without some great, noble hero to lead them (Luke & Leia).

It showed us that people can be people? I had that down before the movie started. The two things that it did introduce that was new to the movies was non force users being force sensitive and the use of kyber crystals. There was really nothing else.

4 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

It showed us that people can be people? I had that down before the movie started. The two things that it did introduce that was new to the movies was non force users being force sensitive and the use of kyber crystals. There was really nothing else.

I think showing just how factional and divided the Alliance was at the time was rather important. That it was seemingly on the verge of breaking up right before Scarif happened is huge, as what we saw of the Alliance in the OT was nothing of the sort. A ragtag group, yes, but everyone seemed to be on the same page in the OT, whereas in RO that is clearly not the case.

10 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

My issue is not so much with the Obi Wan movie itself, it is with all three stand alone movies being set in the exact same time period. To tell the complete truth, I think that the Obi Wan stand alone is the best idea so far.

I think telling the back story of Solo is dangerous in that it strips the audience from romanticizing his past and origin. It had better pull off telling one hell of a story to get it better than what we all have in our own imagination. With Rogue One, I got absolutely nothing that wasn't handled with the opening crawl of Star Wars. Sure there were cool scenes, but it really developed very little in the universe.

With Obi Wan, we are getting an addition to the story. We are filling in the gaps of a character. We are also getting the very best of what the prequels had to offer in Ewen McGregors take on him. Whether you liked the prequels or not, most people will say that he did a fantastic job with the role.

I also think that this will expand the lore of the Universe. I think that we are going to get a far bigger look at the Force than through just the lenses of Sith and Jedi here. I also think that we may be getting this through the prism of a good old fashioned Spaghetti Western. All in all, I think this is a fine direction to go for the studio that looks questionable when seen compared to the other directions LucasArts have chosen to go down so far.

Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan again in a Star Wars version of a spaghetti western? Take my money, Disney! 

9 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I think showing just how factional and divided the Alliance was at the time was rather important. That it was seemingly on the verge of breaking up right before Scarif happened is huge, as what we saw of the Alliance in the OT was nothing of the sort. A ragtag group, yes, but everyone seemed to be on the same page in the OT, whereas in RO that is clearly not the case.

You might find this interesting, but it advances the story in no meaningful way at all. We know we had a rebellion that did not defeat the empire before the original trilogy and the trilogy is about how they did. The politics of the rebellion before Star Wars does not matter to the story. 

This does not build the world or expand the universe. It is an unnecessary myopic view that was already known from what we had already seen. Again, I really loved watching this movie, but it didn't do much of anything to expand things. 

That would matter if this was a historical documentary series, but it's not. It might not have told us anything new in terms of what we know about the universe, but (despite the editorial softening) it was much more different to what we'd seen before to the diligent imitation of Episode VII in terms of its storytelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Colin Trevorrow has departed Episode IX, citing creative differences with Lucasfilm.

Whilst they could do something bold, like recruit a woman director, I suspect they're going to go LCD and will ask Abrams to come back. They need to move fast, as Ep 9 is already in pre-production and was due to start shooting late this year or early next to hit the May 2019 release date.

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

That is not good news.  The man can do visuals but has no conception of what the vastness of space actually means.  Everything can be seen from the planet next door.  Abrams isn't good at telling original stories.  This is very bad news.

Don't know if that much originality is going to be needed. And given that it's more space opera than science fiction, I don't really mind the visuals not being representative of what space is like. That said, Abrams has never directed a truly great film, so I wouldn't expect too high a bar for the final film in the trilogy. Then again, he's never directed a truly bad film, either, so it should be solid entertainment which is more than what could have been expected as the baseline of a Trevorrow-directed film.

I still think Rian Johnson's Episode VIII is going to be the best film of the trilogy.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That is not good news.  The man can do visuals but has no conception of what the vastness of space actually means.  Everything can be seen from the planet next door.  Abrams isn't good at telling original stories.  This is very bad news.

That was a long time ago, space was not as vast then. Geez, Scot.

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I was very happy with TFA so seeing Abrams back for the final film is fine by me. Certainly didn't enjoy TFA any less on each rewatch. Definitely not going to take it as "very bad news." 

I have to disagree.  He's really okay.  I'd rather see someone "great" at the helm but that's my take.

I'd be much, much more concerned about the absence of Lawrence Kasdan - who frankly made The Force Awakens sing - and his replacement by the co-writer of fucking Batman V Superman.

I'm hanging onto the fact that he did win an Oscar for Argo and apparently Snyder heavily rewrote the script for Batman V Superman (and only hired him in the first place as a vanity sop to Affleck) but it does not bode well. Abrams is at his best when he directs good scripts by other writers, not when indulging his own excesses, so hopefully this guy brings his A game. The fact that they are working from Rian Johnson's base storyline is more hopeful (although we need to see The Last Jedi to see if Johnson really gets Star Wars).

Then again, he's never directed a truly bad film

After attempting to rewatch it, I feel very comfortable in calling Star Trek: Into Darkness the worst Star Trek film by a country mile and very much a "truly bad film".

Archived