Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

Star Wars Episode IX: Return of the Meh Guy

Sure, that's not even close to being witty, but the announcement of JJ "Half-Arsed" Abrams doesn't exactly inspire the expenditure of a whole lot of energy either way.

Ah well, hopefully the kids still love it.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Star Trek Into Darkness is an absolutely horrible film.  I'm sorry I watched it.

Yeah, I liked STID the first time I watched it but trying to watch it again it's just... not good. And more worryingly for the ongoing Star Wars universe it absolutely rips into the consistency and good sense of the NewTrek mythos, given that at the end of it people should not need spaceships and no-one should ever die.

Maybe they should hire Justin Lin instead.

INTO DARKNESS > STAR TREK V. I find the film deeply mediocre, given the possibilities in the talents involved, but if you want to call that "bad", we've in very different spaces. Perhaps it's that Khan raised expectations of matching or surpassing STII? That was a fool's hope.

Shit. Star Trek Thread is invading the Star Wars Thread. Luckily I'm currently watching Star Ship Troopers, and I've requested that the Bugs use plasma to knock an asteroid out of orbit of the Klendathu System that will collide with the Star Trek thread in a matter of days instead of the millennia it would actually take. 

Edit: I got to the point in Star Ship Troopers where they joined their new unit. One of the members of the new unit looked familiar so I googled the actor.... and Holy Crap!!!! It's the same guy that's in The Walking Dead, just 17 years later. That's why he looked familiar. 

Edit 2: Honestly, I haven't been more proud of myself for recognizing an actor in an old showing since I realized Amy Adams actually is Tara's cousin in that episode of Buffy.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

INTO DARKNESS > STAR TREK V. I find the film deeply mediocre, given the possibilities in the talents involved, but if you want to call that "bad", we've in very different spaces. Perhaps it's that Khan raised expectations of matching or surpassing STII? That was a fool's hope.

Star Trek V was bad, but it was a poor execution of a fundamentally decent enough story. Into Darkness had triple the inflation-adjusted budget and a quarter of a century's advances in special effects technology, so delivers more spectacle, but the story is crap. Seriously, it relies on McCoy randomly deciding to inject bits of Khan into a dead tribble to accidentally discovering a cure for death.

6 minutes ago, felice said:

Star Trek V was bad, but it was a poor execution of a fundamentally decent enough story. Into Darkness had triple the inflation-adjusted budget and a quarter of a century's advances in special effects technology, so delivers more spectacle, but the story is crap. Seriously, it relies on McCoy randomly deciding to inject bits of Khan into a dead tribble to accidentally discovering a cure for death.

Blah. Those Bugs better not be leading me on. I gave them a bucket load of pre-1970 Kennedy half-dollars in order to redirect that asteroid. It better knock this Star Trek talk back to where it belongs. 

Edit: But as a non-avid Star Trek fan, I've actually enjoyed all of the movies I've seen so far. (Undiscovered Country, First Contact, The Motion Picture, Reboot, and Into Darkness) 

23 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Blah. Those Bugs better not be leading me on. I gave them a bucket load of pre-1970 Kennedy half-dollars in order to redirect that asteroid. It better knock this Star Trek talk back to where it belongs. 

Edit: But as a non-avid Star Trek fan, I've actually enjoyed all of the movies I've seen so far. (Undiscovered Country, First Contact, The Motion Picture, Reboot, and Into Darkness) 

Wait ... you haven't seen Wrath of Khan yet?

Because if you haven't, and you enjoyed those other films, you have to see Wrath of Khan.

11 minutes ago, Davrum said:

Wait ... you haven't seen Wrath of Khan yet?

Because if you haven't, and you enjoyed those other films, you have to see Wrath of Khan.

Nope, never seen Wrath of Khan. I saw the three older ones because they happened to be on HBO. I borrowed the two newer movies in order to see them. No telling when the opportunity for me to see Wrath of Khan will show up.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Apparently I am the only person on earth happy about this. :P

I'm also happy with it. 

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, I liked STID the first time I watched it but trying to watch it again it's just... not good. And more worryingly for the ongoing Star Wars universe it absolutely rips into the consistency and good sense of the NewTrek mythos, given that at the end of it people should not need spaceships and no-one should ever die.

Maybe they should hire Justin Lin instead.

I'm not sure that should be too much of a worry while Kathleen Kennedy remains involved. She is clearly more than happy to step in when she feels something is 'wrong' and I don't think she would let the film go so off the rails it ruins what sense does exist in the SW universe. Maybe I'm wrong about that, I don't know, but it just seems to me she has very focused ideas and I don't think Abrams, who she has already worked with in VII, is going to spoil that.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Edit 2: Honestly, I haven't been more proud of myself for recognizing an actor in an old showing since I realized Amy Adams actually is Tara's cousin in that episode of Buffy.

I was rewatching Firefly a few years ago when: BAM! Zac Efron is young Simon Tam. That was weird. And Jeremy Renner shows up in that one episode of Angel.

On topic though. I liked tFA enough that I'm happy with this choice.

12 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

And Jeremy Renner shows up in that one episode of Angel

So Jeremy Renner was in one episode of Angel, and Amy Adams was in one episode of Buffy, and years later they end up together in the movie Arrival. I smell a conspiracy going on here, and I don't like it.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Apparently I am the only person on earth happy about this. :P

I am happy too.

JJ is a solid choice. I've been a fan of his since Alias.

I will say, that this may be the only time he will have "finished" a story, though. He started (or restarted) a bunch of stories: Alias, Lost, Mission Impossible (aka feature adaptation of Alias pilot), Star Trek, and Star Wars. I'm not sure if he's seen any story all the way through.

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I was rewatching Firefly a few years ago when: BAM! Zac Efron is young Simon Tam. That was weird. And Jeremy Renner shows up in that one episode of Angel.

On topic though. I liked tFA enough that I'm happy with this choice.

Bit like rewatching Band of Brothers and catching Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy and James McAvoy.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Well, I don't hate Into Darkness and I get a kick out of V, so I might just be weird. Inserrection is the only Trek I Find just completely unwatchable. I did a re watch of all, er, i think it was 12 at the time, and that one just gives me Phantom Menace vibes it's so terrible. (Nemesis is pretty bad also but the part where they ram the ships is at least cool)

12 hours ago, Ran said:

Star Trek V is, as said above, a badly-botched execution of what could have been an interesting idea (in fact, the central concept hints at being a more interesting take on religion in an SF setting than neo-BSG). Into Darkness is a retreat of a pre-existing film that doesn't work on any real level.

Plus Star Trek V is unintentionally hilarious, offers an unintended glimpse into Shatner's mind (especially his behind-the-scenes monologue on "making love to the mountain") and has several effective moments of pathos, thanks to the film's placement in the mythos ("I always knew I'd die alone" more than atones for "What does God want with a starship?"). Into Darkness isn't any of those things. It's attempts to simply steal the ending of Wrath of Khan and retread it for a modern context were risible.

Archived