Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

So back from vacation where I had little access to internet, and this news hits. FFS. Personally I was expecting a new trailer to hit in the mean time.

On the JJ appointment, I have mixed feelings. 

On the positive side, we know JJ is a big fan, and he's shown this with TFA. I'm certain he'll try to do his best.

On the negative side, I don't know that his best is good enough. The flaws that TFA had are mainly due to his directing style. He doesn't really want to let the story to breathe, and he just wants to get to the big points as fast as possible. And as Ser Scot already pointed out, space is big, and even if Star Wars is not a hardcore SF story, but more of a fantasy story, there are still limitations that need to be respected. But JJ clearly doesn't care about this, as seen in his take on Star Trek. Furthermore, with Ep IX likely being JJ's last involvement with SW, he might say fuck it, and let loose the lens flare. (He abstained as much as he could on TFA)

I hope the movie will have good writers.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Astromech said:

Haha, not with that terrible matchup. Catch it on the internet near instantaneously.

I'll watch as long as nobody kneels during the trailer. It's just disrespectful. 

On 10/8/2017 at 4:19 PM, The BlackBear said:

Given Hamill and Johnson's comments about spoilers. I'm going to gauge how spoilery it is from you guys, and decide whether to watch it or not.

Rian has again warned about spoilers, so I'm going to play it safe and not watch.

I've avoided the last Thor trailer and the new JL as well.

With my luck, I'll avoid it only to see the SW trailer before Thor or JL.... Very likely now that I think about it. Damn.

On 10/8/2017 at 3:19 PM, The BlackBear said:

Given Hamill and Johnson's comments about spoilers. I'm going to gauge how spoilery it is from you guys, and decide whether to watch it or not.

In my mind this is what I'm gonna do, too. But in my heart...in my heart I know I'm gonna watch it five times in a row as soon as it hits the web. :blush:

As a proud owner of an Empire Poster, they're definitely leaning into that vibe.

We're getting a big speeder/walker fight (very Ep VI) ? Evil BB8 is on the poster! Phasma has a spear (will she get a chance to use it, or be unceremoniously thrown in the bin) ? Snoke's weird samurai guys make an appearance. Why is Renn's face healed, but Rey's arm is all fucked up.

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yep.  That was good.

I don't know that I would say there was anything in there that I would call "spoilers."

I would say there are definite hints at major spoilers, but they could all be misleading.

Two spoilers, though are

Spoiler

Luke, at least at first, will be afraid to teach Rey because of her strength in the Force, and there will be a fight between Finn and Phasma.

Oh and btw... the scene with Chewie giving the wookie roar and then you see the little penguin looking thing... that little fuzzball was everywhere at Disney last week.  Every store that had anything Star Wars, Porg was front and center with the BB-9 droid.  Its obvious they will be the two big merchandise pushes.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

I would say there are definite hints at major spoilers, but they could all be misleading.

Two spoilers, though are

Hide contents

Luke, at least at first, will be afraid to teach Rey because of her strength in the Force, and there will a fight between Finn and Phasma.

Yes.  I do wonder about the tension build up with

Spoiler

Ben "Kylo Ren" Solo and Leia.  Is that really a scene where he's about to take a shot to kill her?  Or tricky trailer construction?

Excellent trailer. Teases just enough without revealing anything too important.

51 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Why is Renn's face healed, but Rey's arm is all fucked up.

Looks like her lightsaber is resting on her upper arm in that poster.

Archived