Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

18 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I would say there are definite hints at major spoilers, but they could all be misleading.

Two spoilers, though are

Hide contents

Luke, at least at first, will be afraid to teach Rey because of her strength in the Force, and there will be a fight between Finn and Phasma.

With regard to the first point, I think it would have been surprising if Luke

hadn't been initially reluctant to train her given his history and the fact he's been hiding away for so long.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

You could have at least foreseen that a room with a view does not outweigh the dangers of a long shaft that is not sealed off yet.

You have to admit it looked cool though.

4 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It was a pretty big one.

Yeah I’ll accept that, really, keeping that hobbled wreck on as an apprentice at all was where that mistake started, honestly what kind of Sith isn’t capable of using Force Lightning?.

Back to the trailer, I’m pretty excited after watching it again, I don’t know if I’m going to make it to the cinema to watch it though :(.

9 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

You have to admit it looked cool though.

Yeah I’ll accept that, really, keeping that hobbled wreck on as an apprentice at all was where that mistake started, honestly what kind of Sith isn’t capable of using Force Lightning?.

Back to the trailer, I’m pretty excited after watching it again, I don’t know if I’m going to make it to the cinema to watch it though :(.

In the video game Revenge of the Sith you can use force lightning as Anakin in the sacking of the Jedi Temple level and again on Mustafar before being y'know, amputed.

In the EU it is speculated by a few terrible different characters that since the force is related to living things, Anakin having embraced machines to survive, he lost too much connection to the force to do things like force lightning and jumping sixteen million feets in the air.

Which is something I want to hit on. In the Orig Trig, Jedi weren't like minor gods they were just like knights. But in the orig trig all we had was an incredibly evil dude who could shoot lightning out of his hands, an old dude, an even older green dude, a quadruple amputee, and an untrained boy as our jedi's.

But in the prequels, the Jedi's are like greek gods, just flippin' out with all of this power. Which would make sense if they're all training together and learning the force. Now, in the new cannon there's just Luke who's an old guy that was never really trained. A scarred up monster man who seems old. And then an amnesiac and a psychopathic brat. The two characters with more than a decade's future are super powerful compared to the early bird's special Jedi, and I can see how that might scare Luke and Snoke both.

Does any of that make sense?

27 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

In the video game Revenge of the Sith you can use force lightning as Anakin in the sacking of the Jedi Temple level and again on Mustafar before being y'know, amputed.

In the EU it is speculated by a few terrible different characters that since the force is related to living things, Anakin having embraced machines to survive, he lost too much connection to the force to do things like force lightning and jumping sixteen million feets in the air.

Which is something I want to hit on. In the Orig Trig, Jedi weren't like minor gods they were just like knights. But in the orig trig all we had was an incredibly evil dude who could shoot lightning out of his hands, an old dude, an even older green dude, a quadruple amputee, and an untrained boy as our jedi's.

But in the prequels, the Jedi's are like greek gods, just flippin' out with all of this power. Which would make sense if they're all training together and learning the force. Now, in the new cannon there's just Luke who's an old guy that was never really trained. A scarred up monster man who seems old. And then an amnesiac and a psychopathic brat. The two characters with more than a decade's future are super powerful compared to the early bird's special Jedi, and I can see how that might scare Luke and Snoke both.

To be fair, Anakin probably learned his lesson that last time he jumped on Mustafar. 

It sucks getting old. I could imagine Obi Wan and Yoda breaking bones if they tried jumping around like they were still kids.

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Though the Porg merchandise pushing already annoys me :lol:

Yeah, like I said a couple pages back... we were in Disney for Fall Break last week and that little fuzzy penguin was EVERYWHERE.

That was a very nice trailer. Obvioulsy a no brainer that I'd see this anyway but liked what I saw.

Well maybe what I didn't like so much is that Luke seems so relucant, clearly the way he seems to be portrayed for a good part of the film. The juxtaposition of Rey and Kylo is excellent though, quite interesting lead characters and that shot at the end is very good.

Another spoiler the trailer shows us is that Snoke at some point gets his hands on Rey and seems to be torturing her

As for who Luke is speaking about when he says he only saw that sort if power once before, unless it is deliberate misdirection, it is clearly Kylo as they show the Jedi building in flames right after it

5 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

That was a very nice trailer. Obvioulsy a no brainer that I'd see this anyway but liked what I saw.

Well maybe what I didn't like so much is that Luke seems so relucant, clearly the way he seems to be portrayed for a good part of the film. The juxtaposition of Rey and Kylo is excellent though, quite interesting lead characters and that shot at the end is very good.

Hide contents

Another spoiler the trailer shows us is that Snoke at some point gets his hands on Rey and seems to be torturing her

As for who Luke is speaking about when he says he only saw that sort if power once before, unless it is deliberate misdirection, it is clearly Kylo as they show the Jedi building in flames right after it

Spoiler

I read a post theorizing this refers to his convo in TESB with Yoda:  Luke: "I won't fail you. I'm not afraid. Yoda: "You will be. You will be."

I don't really buy it since he confronted Vader twice. Maybe the Emperor? I don't think it's Kylo. That cut in the trailer may be misdirection. If not, maybe it refers to Snoke when the Knights of Ren destroyed the Jedi Temple. Who knows if Snoke was present or Luke sensed Snoke's power then.

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Ok:

.com/rianjohnson/status/917582846558011393

I'm going to watch it.

Shit. So.... Did he say that because they took out whatever spoiler he objected to a month ago or are they pressuring him to say that because trailer views are down and spooking investors? 

Question to the group: Is there anything really spoilery in the trailer? Because, yeah, I'd like to watch it once or twelve times.

20 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I remember reading that too, something to do with you need living flesh as a conduit to use force lightning so Vader was unable to use it.

Going forward to the new cannon I think Rey displayed far more untapped power than I saw from Kylo, in that she literally had zero training whatsoever and was able to enter Kylos head and best him in a lightsaber duel.

The main thing I was glad of in Episode VII is that Kylo has been confirmed as not being a Sith as he comes across as a petulant embarrassment to the dark side.

Great trailer.  We've already bought tickets for a 12/15 screening.  We waited the extra day to get assigned seats at a showtime that's early enough for our son.  I'm sure we'll see it at least three times in the theater.  (We saw TFA five times in the theater, mainly driven by my wife's mania).

Archived