Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

4 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

7:30 PM show Thursday night with my best friend and #1 fellow SW fan. Trying to avoid spoilers at all costs (I haven't watched a trailer/teaser or whatever since the one around the first of October). 

I'll almost certainly go back for a 2nd, maybe 3rd viewing the next few weeks. Seeing a Star Wars movie just once isn't enough for me. 

We are going at 11:30.  Saw a trailer during a sporting event last week that for the first time felt spoilerish to me.  Not too bummed, but maybe a bit.

Spoiler

Rey was laying the smack down using Kylo’s claymore saber

Will definitely go again around Christmas.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Saw a trailer during a sporting event last week that for the first time felt spoilerish to me.  Not too bummed, but maybe a bit.

Hide contents

Rey was laying the smack down using Kylo’s claymore saber

Yeah, saw that one, too. Not too spoilery for me, other than 

Spoiler

Rey using Kylo's saber. But the main trailer showed she will, somehow, end up in Snoke's throne room, and a training featurette showed Daisy Ridley training to fight several guys at the same time.

1 hour ago, Eggegg said:

A decidedly mixed review here. When reviewers say they need some time to digest the movie it means that they are diplomatically saying they didn't really like it.. but hope to like it next time. 

Not entirely. From everything I've read, this seems more character driven than plot so sometimes you just need to digest what was seen. The reviews for the Empire Strikes Back were decidedly meh when it first came out and now it's considered the best by a lot of people (myself included).

Heard one review that has given me pause. The reviewer who is a total Star Wars fan and loved the movie also recognised that the movie may be rather unsatisfying for those of us who are more casual about their Star Wars interest. The impression she gave was that this movie would be like eating "empty calories". A pleasant but ultimately unsatisfying experience. She also said, because of pacing, that some casual audience member might get bored. She thinks This indefinite episodising of Star Wars movies may lead to the casual audience dropping out.

For Star Wars fans she thought the movie would be almost 100% beloved.

So, sounds great for Star Wars fans. But leaves me, a more casual fan, still in two minds. I think that because pretty much my whole family is determined to see the movie I will go. But if I come away unsatisfied I think that will be it for me and Star Wars movies.

At the moment, it seems my favorite Star Wars experience has been the animated Clone Wars series. We'll see if that remains the case I suppose.

34 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Heard one review that has given me pause. The reviewer who is a total Star Wars fan and loved the movie also recognised that the movie may be rather unsatisfying for those of us who are more casual about their Star Wars interest. The impression she gave was that this movie would be like eating "empty calories". A pleasant but ultimately unsatisfying experience. She also said, because of pacing, that some casual audience member might get bored. She thinks This indefinite episodising of Star Wars movies may lead to the casual audience dropping out.

For Star Wars fans she thought the movie would be almost 100% beloved.

So, sounds great for Star Wars fans. But leaves me, a more casual fan, still in two minds. I think that because pretty much my whole family is determined to see the movie I will go. But if I come away unsatisfied I think that will be it for me and Star Wars movies.

At the moment, it seems my favorite Star Wars experience has been the animated Clone Wars series. We'll see if that remains the case I suppose.

Did you like The Force Awakens? It sounds like the Last Jedi takes the structure of Empire Strikes Back (main characters separated and doing their own thing as they discover themselves) and does some interesting things with it. I suspect Episode 9 will be in line with bringing everything back together and might be more in line with Episode 7. As I said above, the structure is why Empire Strikes Back was a tough sell when it came out and I can see that happening again with more casual fans though once the trilogy is complete, fans may come back to it and appreciate it more for what it did to the characters.

24 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Did you like The Force Awakens? It sounds like the Last Jedi takes the structure of Empire Strikes Back (main characters separated and doing their own thing as they discover themselves) and does some interesting things with it. I suspect Episode 9 will be in line with bringing everything back together and might be more in line with Episode 7. As I said above, the structure is why Empire Strikes Back was a tough sell when it came out and I can see that happening again with more casual fans though once the trilogy is complete, fans may come back to it and appreciate it more for what it did to the characters.

Not really. I gave it a 5/10. I enjoyed Rogue One more, but I was expecting not to like it so perhaps expectations came into play there.

I'm getting old, obviously. I was a kid when the OT came out and they were my favourite movies, I loved the Ewoks and at the time Return of the Jedi was the best and Empire was the worst of the OT. So, y'know a very child-minded view of the movies. But unlike a lot of people who were kids at the time the magic of the thing didn't stay with me. Now I watch Star Wars wanting to feel like I did when I was a kid, and it fails to deliver. 

Now I look at the trailers and play "spot the plushie" bingo and roll my eyes at all the cutesy creatures they put in their to sell the merch. If I see that screeching hood ornament irl even once, it will be one time too many. That Ice-dog looks pretty cool, but I still rolled my eyes when I saw it posing majestically in the trailer, making every child (young and old) just want, want, want it in their Christmas stocking. Ugh.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I'm hoping the Disney/Fox deal means that the future movies come out under the Fox banner and we can have the fanfare back at the start.

Agreed.  I really missed that with TFA and R1.

16 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Heard one review that has given me pause. The reviewer who is a total Star Wars fan and loved the movie also recognised that the movie may be rather unsatisfying for those of us who are more casual about their Star Wars interest. 

I have a feeling that this movie will have a mixed reception among the fans of this series as well. Certain plot developments are definitely going to leave some fans disappointed.

Archived