Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

The discussion has probably moved past specific irritations by now BUT I really disliked how they dealt with the lightsabers.

Now, when I was a kid playing Star Wars I often fantasised about the idea of sticking a lightsaber hilt at someone’s head, turning it on and impaling them through the eyeball.  It was my go to move. Kamikaze jump to light speed was another one.  Rian Johnson clearly had the same fantasies.

But a moment’s thought would’ve told him it can’t really work like that.  If a lightsaber is really more like a fatal stabby taser then there’s no point in ever using it like a sword at all.  And in the same movie they have the one move impalings they have both Kylo Ren and Finn recovering from lightsaber wounds which are clearly more blunt force trauma than laser cutting wounds. Plus Luke picked a really odd way of almost killing Ben Solo if he could’ve just impaled him with a finger flick.

I know SW has always been kind of dancing around this issue but making it so blatant is just annoying.

3 minutes ago, john said:

The discussion has probably moved past specific irritations by now BUT I really disliked how they dealt with the lightsabers.

Now, when I was a kid playing Star Wars I often fantasised about the idea of sticking a lightsaber hilt at someone’s head, turning it on and impaling them through the eyeball.  It was my go to move. Kamikaze jump to light speed was another one.  Rian Johnson clearly had the same fantasies.

But a moment’s thought would’ve told him it can’t really work like that.  If a lightsaber is really more like a fatal stabby taser then there’s no point in ever using it like a sword at all.  And in the same movie they have the one move impalings they have both Kylo Ren and Finn recovering from lightsaber wounds which are clearly more blunt force trauma than laser cutting wounds. Plus Luke picked a really odd way of almost killing Ben Solo if he could’ve just impaled him with a finger flick.

I know SW has always been kind of dancing around this issue but making it so blatant is just annoying.

Yes, lightsaber fighting in the films has always been more limited than what you could do with such a weapon. Darth Maul stabs Qui-Gon with his, instead of cutting him in half, especially considering how he did it. 

• 2 months later...

Downloaded this movie to give it another shot. Found myself skipping over most of it,  and watched a total of two scenes. One of the least re-watchable SW movies, for me,  and after all is said and done I rate it above only Phantom Menace and Clone Wars. 

8 hours ago, Relic said:

Downloaded this movie to give it another shot. Found myself skipping over most of it,  and watched a total of two scenes. One of the least re-watchable SW movies,  and after all I said and done I rate it above only Phantom Menace and Clone Wars. 

Agree with you. On the flip side I watched Rogue One for the 2nd time the other day and enjoyed it much more than when I saw in theatres. 

I watched the behind the scenes documentary that comes with the digital copy, and it is quite good. I feel sorry for all those artists that put so many hours into creating animatronic creatures and costumes only to have them be in the movie for a few seconds or not at all. Canto Bight, for all its plot issues, entailed quite a bit of creativity. And there were way more practical effects in this than that I initially thought.

I also liked that the behind the scenes didn't shy away from showing some of the issues, like Mark Hamil flat out saying he doesn't agree with Johnson on the direction for Luke, but ultimately being a professional and following through on the director's vision. You also understand why Johnson did some of the controversial things he did, even if you may not agree with his choices.

After seeing the movie a third time last weekend, my opinion is still largely the same - I liked it, I though it had some exceptional moments, but it also had some missed opportunities, and plot issues.

I downloaded it too, and it was pretty much as awesome as I remembered. The fight sequence was especially good. Some of the deleted scenes weren't special, but I'm pretty bummed they didn't go with Phasma's scene, which added a ton of value to both plots. 

31 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The Last Jedi honest trailer is pretty on point. 

"A space battle that breaks all the laws of space battle"
"There are no laws on space battle"
"THERE SHOULD BE"

I agree. I liked how they used the two voices. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got it for my son for Easter and watched it with him and my wife.  Neither had seen it yet.  He's seven and she's a casual fan at best.  They both really liked it and I enjoyed it more than I did in the theater in December.  :dunno: 

Didn't hate this as much as VII.   

My Porg Joy was intense.  Ninja lightsaber fights?   It's about time!     No problem with Leia using force powers finally either.  She got original billing as our co- hope, for crap sakes.   The "Reach out" & get slapped joke was fine, a nice look at Luke's sensei style, really.   The problem is this training moment needed to be coupled with better more compelling ones, which were lacking.   The resistance is just a big pair of Nike shoes, running.  That's not a complete diet, son!  You need to do crosstraining.   More diverse plot angles and locations. 

Yoda destroying the jedi tree seemingly worked as one such deeper moment at first, but it looms oddly in my memory now that Luke changed his mind about ending the jedi.   Yoda should have foreseen this and known to leave the damn jedi tree alone.   

And Luke was a confused middle- schooler who didn't know what he wanted or whether to kill his padawan?   Not the best handling of your elders, star wars.  Jeesh.  That seems to be their motto over there- - fuck the oldsters!   Make their characters lost and sad , like we are!   and their send- offs should be odd and dismissive!   Yes, that's essential.  ..... What the?

As someone who doesn't know the jedi lore from books and so doesn't get offended or disappointed based on that, my disappointment centers on how they still didn't create anything here.  They only rehashed the Episode V empire strikes back attack on Hoth and carried it further into space, and the emperor vs. Luke & Vader scenario again.   This was a rerun with extended footage.   ....Where's the force beef?  

A lot of what we were shown was alright, the plot moved in smoother fashion than VII's.   Their failure is in what we're NOT being shown.   You wanna show us Luke dissolving into the force, um, tough to swallow but a fine bold choice.... but show us a WHY.  Give us that.   Make us understand why the frick you went with that bold choice so it makes any kind of sense.  Wanna have one pilot save another for dubious reasons, show us why we should share her inner conflict, or else it's just a dumb move.   (Call Lucas back out of retirement as a consultant, Kathleen.)

3 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

(Call Lucas back out of retirement as a consultant, Kathleen.)

If ever there were a condemning statement regarding the sequel trilogy... this is it! :lol: 

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

If ever there were a condemning statement regarding the sequel trilogy... this is it! :lol: 

Quite frankly the new movies need him or someone like him to inject something more into the movies.  Themes, actual ideas, something that ties together with previous stories.  Hell just have someone study Campbell for a few months.  Someone with a plan.  If it is him just keep him away from directing or dialogue.

3 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Quite frankly the new movies need him or someone like him to inject something more into the movies.  Themes, actual ideas, something that ties together with previous stories.  Hell just have someone study Campbell for a few months.  Someone with a plan.  If it is him just keep him away from directing or dialogue.

Can not agree with this statement more, especially concerning dialogue.

34 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Yes, one of the most frustrating statements I ever heard was from Rian Johnson after TLJ came out and he suggested that JJ could just change all the revelations in Ep IX.  The fact that the new trilogy was created without an overall plan was distressing to me.

Archived