Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

Never had a problem with friends I've gone to the cinema with. But I still prefer going by myself. Saw Rogue One and Force Awakens (this one at midnight) by myself. I have more of a problem with how bright cinemas are now. I went to see Fury, and was wearing a white shirt, and seemed to have sat directly beneath a light, I felt like I was under a followspot.

Anyway, I think I'll wait until the Monday after release and go to a quiet early morning slot (one of the few perks of working nights.)

For Star Wars releases lately, I have been going to the first showing so as to avoid spoilers. I go offline from Monday night to Thursday at 7pm because that is when the first press screening is. I enjoy the first showing, but my new tradition is going again at 8am the next day. The theatre I go to has a full restaurant with a nice brunch menu. Star Wars and eggss awesome and since the place is only half full, it lends itself for me to be able to pick up more on my second viewing. 

I am almost as exited to see this one as I was The Force Awakens. Johnson's take on this franchise is something that I can not wait to see. Having the new characters back again is going to be amazing for me as they are all already beloved by me. Character development and storytelling makes episode 7 far superior to Rogue One to me, even though the latter was still an incredibly enjoyable movie. 

I went with my dad at The Force Awakens, Friday night of opening weekend. It was a great experience, since he introduced me to Star Wars. We're not going to do it this time, because we no longer live in the same city, and my dad didn't like TFA that much, so I will be going alone this time, also Friday night.

I've been trying to avoid extra info and additional trailers. I couldn't avoid seeing a TV spot last night, but it didn't have any new footage, anyway, and in truth I don't think any of the TV spots are spoilery beyond what the main trailer already had.

The last few years, my wife and I have been going to lots of movies together. Including to the midnight opening of both Force Awakens and Rogue One. But with our 6 month daughter now, that's not an option. I'll be going to the midnight opening solo and she'll catch it a few days later while I'm home looking after our daughter. 

19 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Well of course.... but who has the energy to walk to the DVD stand, walk to the PS4, put the DVD in the PS4, and then walk to the couch?

Edit: I mean, not all of us have power cells!

Use the Force ask your significant other/roommate/parent/child to do the heavy lifting for you. :)

The Star Wars films are about the only films I'll see in a theatre. I'll follow my usual routine and see it after the first weekend. An early morning before the kids are on their winter break seems to be best. Regardless, I know I'll be stuck with that one person with a cold who is always in the theatre with me.

4 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

The last few years, my wife and I have been going to lots of movies together. Including to the midnight opening of both Force Awakens and Rogue One. But with our 6 month daughter now, that's not an option. I'll be going to the midnight opening solo and she'll catch it a few days later while I'm home looking after our daughter. 

My best buddy just had his first kid a week ago. After the early chatter about her hair, mom, etc, his first proper story was about his and Mom's plan to have their first ever 3 hours both away from the kid to be Episode 8.  I thought it was pretty cool. Did you guys flip a coin for opening night? Funny how even things like movie premieres are affected by the wee'uns.

I'm the huge Star Wars fan. My wife likes the movies but isn't a massive fan. She went along with me to the midnight openings for Force Awakens and Rogue One because I wanted to go. So no coin flipping needed - she'll catch it a little later. :)

Oh... and my wife want into labour shortly after midnight on the morning of May 3rd. I spent all day saying she had to hold out until the next day, so our daughter would be born on May 4th - Star Wars day. It was close - she made it until 11:20pm on May 3rd. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

More reactions.

The vibe I'm getting is, "Okay, when we said that the previous two movies were the best Star Wars movies since Empire, that wasn't a high bar to climb? Well now we really mean it."

I can't be bothered with a midnight screening (especially as I have a big meal to attend Thursday night and don't want to be knackered for it), but I'm strongly considering the 9am screening first thing Thursday.

On 27/11/2017 at 4:44 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

Well of course.... but who has the energy to walk to the DVD stand, walk to the PS4, put the DVD in the PS4, and then walk to the couch?

Edit: I mean, not all of us have power cells!

I hope by "DVD" you mean "Blu-Ray". Otherwise yes, watching the movie on Netflix HD (even if it isn't quite as shit hot as from a blu-ray, but that  difference is fairly minor) would be preferable.

Premiere screening reactions are pretty much always worthless. I've got tickets for Thursday and have high hopes because of Rian Johnson, but hyperbolic reviewers for IGN and MTV who fall over themsleves overpraising most every glossy bit of geek fare Hollywood puts out are not making me comfortable. They sounded the same after Thor: Ragnarok.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Premiere screening reactions are pretty much always worthless. I've got tickets for Thursday and have high hopes because of Rian Johnson, but hyperbolic reviewers for IGN and MTV who fall over themsleves overpraising most every glossy bit of geek fare Hollywood puts out are not making me comfortable. They sounded the same after Thor: Ragnarok.

I liked Thor: Ragnarok.

I have tickets for this on Sunday. Looking forward to it. Just introduced my wife to Brick in preparation.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

More reactions.

The vibe I'm getting is, "Okay, when we said that the previous two movies were the best Star Wars movies since Empire, that wasn't a high bar to climb? Well now we really mean it."

I can't be bothered with a midnight screening (especially as I have a big meal to attend Thursday night and don't want to be knackered for it), but I'm strongly considering the 9am screening first thing Thursday.

I hope by "DVD" you mean "Blu-Ray". Otherwise yes, watching the movie on Netflix HD (even if it isn't quite as shit hot as from a blu-ray, but that  difference is fairly minor) would be preferable.

Blu-Ray, yes! Even though it also comes with a regular DVD for some reason. And it must be watched with sub titles at least once so you can understand what Obi-Wan is saying during the 'force vision" scene.

Mine own viewing of The Last Jedi has been moved to Sunday afternoon because of forces outside my control.

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I liked Thor: Ragnarok.

I have tickets for this on Sunday. Looking forward to it. Just introduced my wife to Brick in preparation.

It’s a likable movie. It’s not the film for the ages some of the premiere hypsters made it out to be, however, which is my point.

The excitement is building.  We re-watched Rogue One a few weeks ago (I still like it but my wife finds it too gloomy), and rewatched TFA yesterday. 

My wife, our son and I will all be at a 4pm showing on Friday.  I need to dig out the email with the tickets. 

I fully expect at least two more theater viewings over the holidays.  My wife is the biggest Star Wars nut.  

7:30 PM show Thursday night with my best friend and #1 fellow SW fan. Trying to avoid spoilers at all costs (I haven't watched a trailer/teaser or whatever since the one around the first of October). 

I'll almost certainly go back for a 2nd, maybe 3rd viewing the next few weeks. Seeing a Star Wars movie just once isn't enough for me. 

Archived