If you had to stop Drogon...

I am very dissappointed by the whole "plan" to stop drogon... (really?, a ballista which only uses the tensile force of 2 wooden arms and 4 drawstrings??, thats what you have been working in for weeks if not months, Qyburn?, so much for the smartest guy Cersei has met), moreover, the demonstration given to Cersei sure was impressive... considering it was made indoors and the shot was made in an horizontal plane, considering that the gravity slows down the projectile in a parabolic shot... 

What would you have done?, would you have added ballistae with spring cords and stanchions (additional to the wooden arms and drawstrings) in order to give more strength to the shot?, additional ballistae?, poison the projectile?, a net?...

I do think that only by keeping drogon at bay with multiple ballistae shots would have helped the lannister cause a lot, since the dothraki are only light cavalry, which is ineffective against heavy infantry.

more than one ballista would increase your chances (you know your enemy has 3 dragons, if all 3 were in the battle one could have fried you while you aimed at the other)

target the girl on the back givin it orders, it might fly off and do it's own thing, go back to that rock or mountain wherever it was last time he left her (maybe he don't want to be killing people for mum)

the wings look like a vulnerable area to me.  I don't know what it's called, but, when 2 cannon balls are chained together maybe this could rip it's wings and bring it down, I know we don't have cannon but some kind of catapult could work.   I know it's still dangerous on the ground but it's not as agile.

what do we know about dragon anatomy?  are they like modern reptiles where they have a strong bite but a weak jaw (can't open it if you strap something around it?)  do we know how they breath fire?(chemical reaction?) 

29 minutes ago, Crona said:

Just a general question:

Can wildfire affect dragons? Also how effective is dragonglass on a dragon?

I'd also like to know this.

if we shove a pot of wildfire down a dragons throat will it cause an internal chain reaction with dragon fire?

what about Valerian steel? 

22 minutes ago, Crona said:

Just a general question:

Can wildfire affect dragons? Also how effective is dragonglass on a dragon?

I don't think Dragons can be burned, even by wildfire.  Might be wrong though. 

Dragon glass is to brittle to use as a weapon against a dragon.  Steel tipped arrows did nothing, so dg arrows wouldn't be more successful. 

12 hours ago, Alfonso Sánchez said:

I am very dissappointed by the whole "plan" to stop drogon... (really?, a ballista which only uses the tensile force of 2 wooden arms and 4 drawstrings??, thats what you have been working in for weeks if not months, Qyburn?, so much for the smartest guy Cersei has met), moreover, the demonstration given to Cersei sure was impressive... considering it was made indoors and the shot was made in an horizontal plane, considering that the gravity slows down the projectile in a parabolic shot... 

What would you have done?, would you have added ballistae with spring cords and stanchions (additional to the wooden arms and drawstrings) in order to give more strength to the shot?, additional ballistae?, poison the projectile?, a net?...

I do think that only by keeping drogon at bay with multiple ballistae shots would have helped the lannister cause a lot, since the dothraki are only light cavalry, which is ineffective against heavy infantry.

I'd cast massive iron flak cannons, using wildfire as a propellant, blasting steel pellets in a cone of death. Trying to go through a dragon's head is stupid, instead tear their wings apart with the flak and ground them. Even if they survive the fall, they're much less of a threat on the ground.

43 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

I don't think Dragons can be burned, even by wildfire.  Might be wrong though.

During the Dance of Dragons larger dragons were able to kill smaller dragons with their fire breath, so they can be burned.

If it's a "normal" battle and not an ambush, I'd try this:

- at least three ballistas in different places of the battlefield, so they can't be taken out at the same time

- a team of strong men would occupy each ballista to allow faster nocking etc

- the arrows of each ballista would be poisoned by a different poison

- groups of archers in different places then ballistas would try to take down the rider and to set fire to the dragon's wings (may or may not work, hard to say

Honestly, I think that using a harpoon-like arrow with a chain could be a good idea. It could limit the range of the dragon, making it a better target for other ballistas. Even if the dragon managed to get loose of the harpoon, it would cause a signifant wound. However there are three problems to solve: to what tie the chain so the dragon won't simply fly away with it, how strong the chain have to be not to be simply destroyed by the dragon, and how  to make a harpoon with a  heavy chain tied to it fly far and fast enough to actually hit the dragon.

16 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

During the Dance of Dragons larger dragons were able to kill smaller dragons with their fire breath, so they can be burned.

Oh interesting. But dragon breath is magic. I guess it depends on whether wildfire = dragon fire or if it just = really hot normal fire.  

6 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Oh interesting. But dragon breath is magic. I guess it depends on whether wildfire = dragon fire or if it just = really hot normal fire.  

Wildfire is magic as well; the guys who make it are called "pyromancers" and they started being able to mass-produce it again once magic returned to the world. It also melts stone and whatnot.

But I'd still use shrapnel, just to be sure.

25 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Honestly, I think that using a harpoon-like arrow with a chain could be a good idea.

A chain heavy enough to actually hold the dragon would put way too much drag on the projectile, limiting it's range way too much. You'd be better off shooting the dragon with a barbed net that would tangle around its wings. It's wings get tangled, it can't fly, it falls. It falls hard enough, it dies.

But I still think shrapnel is the better solution.

5 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

Wildfire is magic as well; the guys who make it are called "pyromancers" and they started being able to mass-produce it again once magic returned to the world. It also melts stone and whatnot.

But I'd still use shrapnel, just to be sure.

I thought they were already able to make it, but when magic returned they were able to make it faster.  After reading some book text regarding wildfire I definitely think you're right though. Seems like an acid/fire combo. 

Probably very bad for dragons. :)

1 hour ago, Damon_Tor said:

A chain heavy enough to actually hold the dragon would put way too much drag on the projectile, limiting it's range way too much. You'd be better off shooting the dragon with a barbed net that would tangle around its wings. It's wings get tangled, it can't fly, it falls. It falls hard enough, it dies.

But I still think shrapnel is the better solution.

I know, I covered it in my original post. But maybe a big ballista occupied by Wun Wun's brother could help.

Which brings me to... use giant archers!! They're more mobile than ballistas while having huge arrows and more power than human archers.

1 minute ago, Nerevanin said:

I know, I covered it in my original post. But maybe a big ballista occupied by Wun Wun's brother could help.

Which brings me to... use giant archers!! They're more mobile than ballistas while having huge arrows and more power than human archers.

Lol, I just rewatched the wildlings attack on the wall and Castle black last night. When that giant started shooting arrows my jaw dropped. 

Can giant wights still use bows?  I don't think I've ever seen a regular one use a bow, but if they can those arrows could definitely be a threat to dragons. 

14 hours ago, Alfonso Sánchez said:

First off the ballistae worked, secondly it's is cutting edge technology in the fact that nobody has made or used one before.

Yes more than 1 would have been ideal but as they have not invented mass production yet (ffs Qyburn) I am guessing most of them are protecting the capital.

Yes a net would be a good countermeasure but what is your delivery method? a catapult type device would not be accurate.

Canon! We have not seen fireworks but you are going to invent gunpowder and a delivery system in a few weeks/months come on people.

1 minute ago, elder brother jonothor dar said:

First off the ballistae worked, secondly it's is cutting edge technology in the fact that nobody has made or used one before.

Scorpion/ballista are shown being used on the wall in the show.

Specifically to kill a giant and pin him to the earth. 

They are also referenced heavily in the books. Cersie commissions them to be built leading up to the battle of the blackwater.  

So not exactly cutting edge tech. 

20 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Scorpion/ballista are shown being used on the wall in the show.

Specifically to kill a giant and pin him to the earth. 

They are also referenced heavily in the books. Cersie commissions them to be built leading up to the battle of the blackwater.  

So not exactly cutting edge tech. 

And specifically, a scorpion was used to kill Meraxes shortly after the conquest, so it's not even new dragonslaying technology.

Archived