If you had to stop Drogon...

4 hours ago, xjlxking said:

Yeah, I remember that part. It was a Tyrion chapter, but he also does comment that the only reason Drogon even got hurt was because he was not fully grown. Granted though, it does show that they can be hurt physically but it does take something big, not small like the spears being thrown at the rings.

As far as the show goes, yes, Poison is the way to go. Even then, they hyped up the dragons way too much that any way the show tries to show them go down will feel like a let down. GRRM introduced a possible magical item (Horn that Euron has) which will pit Dragon vs Dragon. Otherwise, the way GRRM portrayed them, they are un-killable. 

I hope they don't do poison. I don't see why they would do it either since it would be incredibly stupid.

5 hours ago, Hoosier427 said:

Poison would work if you knew what type of poison to use. However what's poisonous to you and me could be very different to a dragon. For example dark chocolate can be poisonous to dogs and certain plants are poisonous to cats that aren't poisonous to dogs or people. Without capturing a dragon and testing (good luck with that) it's hard to figure out what would work and what wouldn't.

So what are some other ways a dragon could die? Could you drown a dragon? They are so strong and powerful I don't know what you could use to keep under the water unless it was severely injured. Could lightening striking a dragon kill it? Again not enough info and that would take an act of God which u can't rely on.  I think fire is your best bet considering I saw one post say dragons killed smaller dragons with fire and if I remember correctly, it was said wildfire would burn anything, wood metal flesh it didn't matter. 

If it were me I would pick a spot and basically try to lay a trap for the dragon. Try and use the natural terrain to my advantage in whatever way I could. Then you have to figure a way to get the wildfire on the dragon itself, the more the better. If your up high maybe u get lucky and and your able to pour it on the dragon as it flies up the mountain. Or u cover the ground in it and try to lure the dragon to that spot. Set it ablaze with a fire arrow and pray like hell it works. I'm sure a lot of people would die in the attempt if it was even possible, however that's the approach I would take.

Fire cannot kill dragons.. and i dont think wildfire either..

When maester Cressen tryied to poison Melisandre she said "For the Night is dark and full of terrors, but fire burns them all away.. If Melisandre, a priestess of The Red God, a priestess of fire could survive poison, do you think that poison can kill the fire itself? Dragons are fire made flesh..

14 hours ago, xjlxking said:

If you're using one heavy Balista to try and hit a dragon, it would never work

but multiple Balista placed in a strategic location so if the dragon becomes stationary, it will get hit. The dragon have to be stationary in certain scenarios like we have seen before

Why would a dragon ever become stationary in a convenient location where it can be hit? All it needs to do is fly a few hundred meters away should it need to rest. It can do it in about 5 seconds. Having played a lot of flight simulator games in the past, I know how hard it is to hit a mobile target with an unguided rocket or a gun, even though in a flight simulator you are flying an aircraft that is typically similar in speed and agility to your target. A ballista has none of those properties. A gun on a modern jet plane can fire something like a 1000 rounds per minute. A ballista could perhaps muster 2, assuming it doesn't get dragon-fire burned in the 30 seconds it takes to reload.

I still think that the only semi-realistic way to defeat those dragons with medieval weapons would be to slow them down through attrition. Use projectiles on bows, crossbows, and catapults that can attach themselves to a dragon's body. Perhaps nets made of thin and flexible metal would be effective so that a dragon's wings would get entangled. A ballista could then be used to strike the killing blow.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:01 AM, Monster_Under_the_Bed said:

Why would a dragon ever become stationary in a convenient location where it can be hit? All it needs to do is fly a few hundred meters away should it need to rest. It can do it in about 5 seconds. Having played a lot of flight simulator games in the past, I know how hard it is to hit a mobile target with an unguided rocket or a gun, even though in a flight simulator you are flying an aircraft that is typically similar in speed and agility to your target. A ballista has none of those properties. A gun on a modern jet plane can fire something like a 1000 rounds per minute. A ballista could perhaps muster 2, assuming it doesn't get dragon-fire burned in the 30 seconds it takes to reload.

I still think that the only semi-realistic way to defeat those dragons with medieval weapons would be to slow them down through attrition. Use projectiles on bows, crossbows, and catapults that can attach themselves to a dragon's body. Perhaps nets made of thin and flexible metal would be effective so that a dragon's wings would get entangled. A ballista could then be used to strike the killing blow.

The only way i can think one can do a net like that is by a manufacture proccess known as drawing, and since extrusion was pathented in 1787, i wouldn't think it possible in a medieval setting, (extrusion is the same as drawing, the only change is the origin point of the stress source  that is applied).

I would guess a net with weights would be a factible solution, while is true the dragon would burn it, the first moments, he would be ensnared, and that would make it very difficult for him to fly, making him an easier target for some moments for ballistae.

Archived