What Are Your Favorite Weird Tales ?

GAROVORKIN

3 hours ago, Jo498 said:

of course!

I have one fat pbck volume of Hope Hodgson but being not really enthusiastic about the two I read (ghost pirates and the one with the shipwreck in the country of strange monsters that pound things to pulp) and not sure I can take the archaic style, I hesitated about trying the othes, especially "The Night Land".

If you going to read anything by Hodgson , The Night Land is  not the book to start with.    

Adrift on the Haunted Seas. The  Best Short Stories of William Hope Hodgson   lots of good stuff in that one 

Or The House on he Borderland    which is a superb book.B) 

3 hours ago, Jo498 said:

I have one fat pbck volume of Hope Hodgson but being not really enthusiastic about the two I read (ghost pirates and the one with the shipwreck in the country of strange monsters that pound things to pulp) and not sure I can take the archaic style, I hesitated about trying the othes, especially "The Night Land".

The Boats of the Glen Carrig.

If you are irritated by the style, steer clear of The Night Land. We are talking a book where even H.P. Lovecraft tired of the prose.

I have the Gollancz volume with the four novels; I read the Ghost pirates and the boats of the Glen Carrig (I don't even recall the latter as all that archaic in style). I will try at least House on the Borderland at some stage but I am sure I can take the style of the Night Land. (I've read some books with archaic (Ouroboros) or  dialectal (Welsh's Filth) language and I did manage, but it is far harder than ordinary English).

ISBN-10: 0575073721

This thread has inspired me to grab a load of Tanith Lee collections for my kindle. Going back 20 years I'd done a good job of collecting her short stories and novels, but I clearly have some catching up to do.

Archived