Theories about Jaime Lannister

Matthew.wu1997

6 minutes ago, Matthew.wu1997 said:

I think Aerys did nothing at the wedding night, he just put out feelers to check Joanna's reaction. I don't think he was brave enough to do it that soon, if he did it that night and Rhaella knew, she would have dismissed Joanna "immediately", not "shortly after", let her keep serving for a while.

It is stated clearly that Aerys "took liberties" with Joanna that Tywin was not happy about.  Not intercourse, but he went too far obviously.  I don't think Joanna would be happy about that, and could even have asked Rhaella for the dismissal to get away from him...for both their benefit.

Unless you are saying that Joanna accepted the advances, and Rhaella finally became weary of it over a year later...I don't buy that though.  

28 minutes ago, Ranger Kragin said:

In the books Drogon shot fire at Daenerys as well in the pit, she just came out because she's immune to fire, but had her air and clothes burnt to ashes (again).

And hands! She is not immune to fire!

38 minutes ago, Ranger Kragin said:

In the books Drogon shot fire at Daenerys as well in the pit, she just came out because she's immune to fire, but had her air and clothes burnt to ashes (again).

No he didn't. He just roared at her.  Dany isn't fireproof in the books. 

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys IX 

Drogon roared. The sound filled the pit. A furnace wind engulfed her. The dragon's long scaled neck stretched toward her. When his mouth opened, she could see bits of broken bone and charred flesh between his black teeth. His eyes were molten. I am looking into hell, but I dare not look away. She had never been so certain of anything. If I run from him, he will burn me and devour me. In Westeros the septons spoke of seven hells and seven heavens, but the Seven Kingdoms and their gods were far away. If she died here, Dany wondered, would the horse god of the Dothraki part the grass and claim her for his starry khalasar, so she might ride the nightlands beside her sun-and-stars? Or would the angry gods of Ghis send their harpies to seize her soul and drag her down to torment? Drogon roared full in her face, his breath hot enough to blister skin. Off to her right Dany heard Barristan Selmy shouting, "Me! Try me. Over here. Me!"

In the smoldering red pits of Drogon's eyes, Dany saw her own reflection. How small she looked, how weak and frail and scared. I cannot let him see my fear. She scrabbled in the sand, pushing against the pitmaster's corpse, and her fingers brushed against the handle of his whip. Touching it made her feel braver. The leather was warm, alive. Drogonroared again, the sound so loud that she almost dropped the whip. His teeth snapped at her. 

Dany hit him. "No," she screamed, swinging the lash with all the strength that she had in her. The dragon jerked his head back. "No," she screamed again. "NO!" The barbs raked along his snout. Drogon rose, his wings covering her in shadow. Dany swung the lash at his scaled belly, back and forth until her arm began to ache. His long serpentine neck bent like an archer's bow. With a hisssssss, he spat black fire down at her. Dany darted underneath the flames, swinging the whip and shouting, "No, no, no. Get DOWN!" His answering roar was full of fear and fury, full of pain. His wings beat once, twice …

9 minutes ago, DarkBastard said:

It is stated clearly that Aerys "took liberties" with Joanna that Tywin was not happy about.  Not intercourse, but he went too far obviously.  I don't think Joanna would be happy about that, and could even have asked Rhaella for the dismissal to get away from him...for both their benefit.

Unless you are saying that Joanna accepted the advances, and Rhaella finally became weary of it over a year later...I don't buy that though.  

Maybe they were secretly in love before Tywin's proposal, Aerys was inhumanly handsome and good (before he went mad) and Joanna was young and naive, and she probably had never thought about being with Tywin cause they are cousins from the same house. Her love to Tywin took time to develop during their marriage, and her love to Aerys faded away as he slowly went crazier and meaner to her. I think Aerys and Joanna loved each other before, or she wouldn't keep the twins when she was pregnant.

4 minutes ago, Matthew.wu1997 said:

Maybe they were secretly in love before Tywin's proposal, Aerys was inhumanly handsome and good (before he went mad) and Joanna was young and naive, and she probably had never thought about being with Tywin cause they are cousins from the same house. Her love to Tywin took time to develop during their marriage, and her love to Aerys faded away as he slowly went crazier and meaner to her. I think Aerys and Joanna loved each other before, or she wouldn't keep the twins when she was pregnant.

I think that's a bit of a stretch, Joanna and Tywin were very much in love by all accounts I've read.  Tywin wasn't much for disloyalty and certainly not a fool...so the only solution remaining would be that Joanna was a excellent liar and a huge tramp, which has not been noted anywhere.

Citing the fact they are cousins lends to the madness in Cersei as well.  If Targ+Targ=Crazy (coin flip) then Targ +Lannister should be fine, no? Wouldn't Lannister+Lannister=Crazy too, potentially?

The more we discuss this the less I'm inclined to believe the theory, unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, DarkBastard said:

I think that's a bit of a stretch, Joanna and Tywin were very much in love by all accounts I've read.  Tywin wasn't much for disloyalty and certainly not a fool...so the only solution remaining would be that Joanna was a excellent liar and a huge tramp, which has not been noted anywhere.

Citing the fact they are cousins lends to the madness in Cersei as well.  If Targ+Targ=Crazy (coin flip) then Targ +Lannister should be fine, no? Wouldn't Lannister+Lannister=Crazy too, potentially?

The more we discuss this the less I'm inclined to believe the theory, unfortunately.

GRRM is fond of irony, though, and the fact that Tywin is so brutal with Tyrion regarding whores could speak volumes.

29 minutes ago, DarkBastard said:

We are still not sure about "inbreeding lead to madness" theory can apply to other houses , maybe "flip coin" effect is a trait only belongs to Targaryens regardless of inbreeding. And almost all the girls in this story can play the game quite well, I'm sure Joanna was good at hiding her feelings as she successfully hide the twins' real identity.  She was clever, she was also a Lannister, remember? When Tywin ruled the seven kingdoms, she ruled Tywin. It's highly possible that she could outsmart him. Maybe it's her wits that won Tywin's heart , or he wouldn't be so broken-hearted when she died. There is no lack of beautiful women falling for you when you are powerful and rich. But Tywin never remarried, showing that he loves women with brains.

3 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

GRRM is fond of irony, though, and the fact that Tywin is so brutal with Tyrion regarding whores could speak volumes.

The hypocrisy there has already been pointed out. Shea, a whore, was in Tywin's bed.  The same bed that Tywin was pissed that Tyrion had a whore in. 

1 minute ago, Lurid Jester said:

The hypocrisy there has already been pointed out. Shea, a whore, was in Tywin's bed.  The same bed that Tywin was pissed that Tyrion had a whore in. 

But it could go deeper, back tot he root of Tyrion's parentage.  I still don't believe Carol and Larry are targs.

8 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

But it could go deeper, back tot he root of Tyrion's parentage.  I still don't believe Carol and Larry are targs.

Me either. I think there are way too many secret Targ theories.  Hell, some of them have half of Westeros as secret targs. 

5 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Me either. I think there are way too many secret Targ theories.  Hell, some of them have half of Westeros as secret targs. 

Lol , it took me a while to google and figure out who the hell Larry and Carol are you guys talking about. I panicked a little , afraid that I missed anything that could overthrow the theories easily XD

Like I said earlier, I was buying into this potential at first, but it is quickly dying for me (just my opinion).  

Do you guys really see this in the grand scheme of the story? At some point Dany is going to learn about Jon's parentage, which will be a huge revelation...only to have her find out the same thing with another key player later on, another huge revelation of exactly the same type?  

It doesn't seem like good writing to me...repeating the same plot point with multiple main characters in the same timeline.  I understand GRRM likes to show how history repeats itself, but I don't think he feels the same way about the real-time plot of the books, and even more so in the shortened and compressed timeline of the show.  

How would the show runners work this into the plot in the remaining nine episodes, with so much left to cover?

4 minutes ago, Matthew.wu1997 said:

Lol , it took me a while to google and figure out who the hell Larry and Carol are you guys talking about. I panicked a little , afraid that I missed anything that could overthrow the theories easily XD

I just assumed Cersie and Jamie, although I have no idea the reference. I've seen names swapped in other threads before so I assume it's a thing. 

Melisandre as Roxanne (put on the red light) is the one I've seen the most. :)

maybe it has something to do with autocorrect absolutely HATING the way martin spells names.  

I think it's brilliant though. When everyone eyes on Jon and Dany, Jaime pops up. Jon's true identity has a lot of hints, it's so obvious that he is a Targaryen. But when everyone become a bit tired of this, hints of Jaime's started to appear one by one, keep questioning the facts that are already known. Dragon has three heads. Dany is the reflection of Aegon the conqueror. Aegon had two sisters, and Dany got a brother and a nephew. It cost Aegon a sister and a dragon to accomplish his conquer, and Dany will also lose a dragon (oops~spoilers ahead) and probably Jaime's life

13 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

I just assumed Cersie and Jamie, although I have no idea the reference. I've seen names swapped in other threads before so I assume it's a thing. 

Melisandre as Roxanne (put on the red light) is the one I've seen the most. :)

maybe it has something to do with autocorrect absolutely HATING the way martin spells names.  

I see. I just signed up few hours ago. Still a rookie haha

1 minute ago, Matthew.wu1997 said:

Thanks. Any thoughts on the theories I mentioned?

I honestly don't see Jamie playing a big role in Dany or Jon's story. i definitely don't see him as a secret Targ or a dragon rider.  I'm also not entirely sold that there even will be a third Targ. 

If anything, I'm leaning toward Bran being a dragon rider via warging. 

He will, after all, fly. 

2 hours ago, Camara said:

Yeah I think targ Jamie/Cersei or Tyrion are two good theories and both make sense in their own ways - if the dates match up, which makes more sense for Tyrion.

If Jamie/Cersei are targs, it explains their incest and Cersei's madness, while also being tragic for Tywin as Tyrion is his only son, a bohemian imp, instead of the beautiful and powerful knight and queen. For Tywin, it would be the ultimate humiliation and explains his feelings for Tyrion.

On the other hand a targ Tyrion explains his fascination with dragons, his purple eye and very whitish hair. This also explains why Tywin also despises Tyrion, he is not his son but it would be too much of an humiliation (and the destruction of all the respect he gathered) to admit someone like him couldn't protect his wife.

For now I think the later theory has more possibilities of being true, but with more info it may turn out to be a red herring.

What purple eyes? Tyrion has one black eye and one green eye (in the books).

37 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

I honestly don't see Jamie playing a big role in Dany or Jon's story. i definitely don't see him as a secret Targ or a dragon rider.  I'm also not entirely sold that there even will be a third Targ. 

If anything, I'm leaning toward Bran being a dragon rider via warging. 

He will, after all, fly. 

In my opinion , bran will play a big part indeed, but not warging into a dragon. It's a bit low class,  since "Only one in a thousand is born a skinchangerand only one skinchanger in a thousand is born a greenseer" tells us that warging is more ordinary than greenseeing, and I don't think Bran can control dragons better than Dany and possibly Jon, Targaryen dragon riders are already skillful enough. Don't take the “flying” literally. I doubted that why he is called the three-eyed-raven (crow in the books), why not three-eyed-falcon, or three-eyed-pigeon? Ravens send messages in the story. I have a bold assumption: all the prophetic dreams were made and sent by the three-eyed-raven. He saw things in the past and the future, made dreams and planted into people's minds, in order to change the things they will do to prevent a worse situation and shape the world. If memory serves me right, the former three-eyed-raven is a half Targaryen, by the power of bloodline , he may be the sources of all the Targaryen's prophetic dreams, including Daenys Targaryen's powerful dream of warning the doom of Valyria. He can also deliver dreams via weirwood tree. That's why people have prophetic dreams when they sleeps on weirwood. You must have seen that Hodor's life is controlled by Bran from the future, it showed that shaping the past is possible, so my assumption is not that unreasonable at all.

enjoy!

Archived