Why didn't Ned/Robert utilize Frey's late-arriving forces during the rebellion?

mystickristoff

2 minutes ago, mystickristoff said:

Yeah but I couldn't find it in writing that the Freys went with him. Ned also kept on calling Walder Frey as the late Walder Frey, which seems to me like resentment that they didn't help during the rebellion. Correct me, if I'm wrong

I think it was Hoster Tully who named Walder like that first, but I might be wrong.

18 minutes ago, mystickristoff said:

Yeah but I couldn't find it in writing that the Freys went with him. Ned also kept on calling Walder Frey as the late Walder Frey, which seems to me like resentment that they didn't help during the rebellion. Correct me, if I'm wrong

It is Hoster Tully who called Walder that. The Freys were his bannermen, but the Freys held out when House Tully joined the Baratheons, Starks, and Arryns in rebellion against the Targaryens leading up to the Battle of the Bells. The Freys withheld their forces from the two major battles after the Tullys joined the rebels, and when they arrived late after the Trident there was doubt about whom they had actually intended to join. It is possible they used their forces (not sure it is stated one way or another), but if not, they had good reason.

The outcome of the rebellion was pretty much decided after the Trident, hence why the Freys and Lannisters felt safe enough to join one of the sides. As well as the main Targ army having been roundly defeated, the main reason loyalists stuck with them disappeared with Rhaegar's death. I doubt any lord would have been comfortable with Aerys remaining King without an adult heir and with his paranoia justified.

Part of the reason the Freys are held in such contempt is that they tried to claim that they were always intending to join the rebellion rather than the Targs, to try and win Hoster and Robert's favour rather than just having stayed neutral.

1 hour ago, mystickristoff said:

Sure they were late and came only after the Battle at the Trident was over, but there was still King's landing and the siege at Storm's end afterwards.

They would have marched on Kings Landing Ned may have not used them as part of his van but I would imagine that some of their mounted units would have gone with him.

When the Rebels rode for King's Landing, they did so expecting Aerys to go down swinging. Would you want the latecomers to your cause up there with you in the such a dangerous part of the campaign? Aside from their lack of trustworthiness, they would have been pretty green as far as combat experience. The main Rebels had, by that point, direct experience in urban combat from the Battle of the Bells. While simply leaving the Frey forces to guard the rear seems wasteful, I question how useful they would have been even if their hearts were in it.

Archived