What if the Robert's rebellion have ended with a trial by seven?

Dunk The Tall

If Brandon had decided instead a trial by combat a trial by seven it could finished in that moment. Like the only person of the army of Robert was Brandon, they would wait until every knight have come.

I think that the seven that Robert would choose could be:

-Himself

-Brandon Stark

-GreatJon Umber

-Brynden Tully

-Jaime Lannister

-Gregor Clegane

-Bronze John royce

I'm supposing that the Lannisters would have gone with Robert seen that they betray Aerys later.

If Aerys would have to choose seven knights, they might be:

-Rhaegar Targaryen

-Arthur Dayne

-Barristan Selmy

-Randyll Tarly

-Oberyn Martell

-Jon Connington

-Gerold Hightower

Exist other posibility. Maybe Aerys would have chosen to all of his royal guard, and the rest his son and Arthur Dayne. Looking at this I have to recognize that it would be very difficult to win for the rebels, because the individualities are better in the royalist than in the rebels. Which seven you think they would choose?

Aerys would have chosen "fire" as his 7 champions and the exact same thing would have happened as in OTL.  Rickard and Brandon DO ask for a trial by combat.  

And even if you don't think that, Aerys would probably declare that as the Starks don't actually follow the Faith, they don't get to ask for a Trial by Seven.

4 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

Aerys would have chosen "fire" as his 7 champions and the exact same thing would have happened as in OTL.  Rickard and Brandon DO ask for a trial by combat.  

And even if you don't think that, Aerys would probably declare that as the Starks don't actually follow the Faith, they don't get to ask for a Trial by Seven.

exactly, one way or another Aerys was going to burn the Starks and their comrades

Lets put some things straight

a- Rickard was the warden of the North not Brandon. Brandon was under under his jurisdiction which means that he is the one to have to answer for his crimes.

b- There's no way Jamie would fight on Rickard's side. He's KG. KG are vowed to defend the royal family. He can't raise his sword against the crown prince without committing treason

c- Robert didn't join the rebellion up until his very life was at stake. There's a good reason for that. Rhaegar and Robert are relatives. If Robert killed Rhaegar then he would be committing kinslaying. That's would need a hell of a casus belli to justify and taking Robert's betrothed isn't sufficient EXPECIALLY if Lyanna pops in saying that she went away out of her free will. Robert might join the trial but he would certainly avoid clashing swords with Rhaegar. 

d- Both Brandon and himself are implicated into this. Under such circumstances I doubt Rickard will risk Ned. He needs an adult to rule Winterfell. Benjen is still a pup. 

e- Most houses will stay out of this mess. There's nothing to gain out of it and alot to lose. This is Targ-Stark business. Those who will join will do it because they are righteous or/and they are extremely loyal to the main houses or/and they can afford to lose their lives. 

Here are my teams

- Rickard Stark
- Brandon Stark
- Robert Baratheon
- Greatjon Umber (Greatjon is fiercely loyal to the Starks)
- Brynden Tully 
- Rickard Karstark (the Karstarks share the same blood to the Starks)
-Jorah Mormont (he won the tournament in Lannisport and he's a Mormont)

Rhaegar team

- Rhaegar Targeryan (he must be included since he caused the whole mess)
- Sir Arthur Dayne
- Sir Barristan Selmy
- Sir Gerold Hightower
- Sir Jamie Lannister
- Sir Jon Connington
- Sir Oswell Whent. 

Rhaegar's team is clearly the favourite. HOWEVER, that says part of the story. After Harrenhal, Aerys knew his son was plotting against him. He only defended him against Brandon because the Stark 'servant' (Aerys interpretation of wardens/LP) dared threatening a Targeryan. If Rickard was able to persuaded Aerys that the Starks aren't enemies but were simply betrayed by a common enemy then......you can kiss most of the KG goodbye.

On 8/10/2017 at 11:18 PM, mystickristoff said:

Even without Aerys choosing fire.. he could still have had ordered Lewyn Martell and Jonothor Darry to go up against Brandon and Rickard.

Right, but the point is he could have done that in our timeline as well, and didn't.  He chose fire.  Why should we expect him to do something differently?

Rhaegar wouldn't fight in any trail. He sat out the entire war and only fought the last battle after Aerys sent Gerold Hightower to find him and bring him out of hiding.

If Brandon was given a trail by seven he would have most likely picked the men that accompanied him on his trip to King's Landing. Of course they'd still be two short, whether or not they found two more men in King's Landing willing to fight for them the result would have been the same as if they didn't, Aerys would burn them all alive.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 1:39 PM, devilish said:

Lets put some things straight

a- Rickard was the warden of the North not Brandon. Brandon was under under his jurisdiction which means that he is the one to have to answer for his crimes.

b- There's no way Jamie would fight on Rickard's side. He's KG. KG are vowed to defend the royal family. He can't raise his sword against the crown prince without committing treason

c- Robert didn't join the rebellion up until his very life was at stake. There's a good reason for that. Rhaegar and Robert are relatives. If Robert killed Rhaegar then he would be committing kinslaying. That's would need a hell of a casus belli to justify and taking Robert's betrothed isn't sufficient EXPECIALLY if Lyanna pops in saying that she went away out of her free will. Robert might join the trial but he would certainly avoid clashing swords with Rhaegar. 

d- Both Brandon and himself are implicated into this. Under such circumstances I doubt Rickard will risk Ned. He needs an adult to rule Winterfell. Benjen is still a pup. 

e- Most houses will stay out of this mess. There's nothing to gain out of it and alot to lose. This is Targ-Stark business. Those who will join will do it because they are righteous or/and they are extremely loyal to the main houses or/and they can afford to lose their lives. 

Here are my teams

- Rickard Stark
- Brandon Stark
- Robert Baratheon
- Greatjon Umber (Greatjon is fiercely loyal to the Starks)
- Brynden Tully 
- Rickard Karstark (the Karstarks share the same blood to the Starks)
-Jorah Mormont (he won the tournament in Lannisport and he's a Mormont)

Rhaegar team

- Rhaegar Targeryan (he must be included since he caused the whole mess)
- Sir Arthur Dayne
- Sir Barristan Selmy
- Sir Gerold Hightower
- Sir Jamie Lannister
- Sir Jon Connington
- Sir Oswell Whent. 

Rhaegar's team is clearly the favourite. HOWEVER, that says part of the story. After Harrenhal, Aerys knew his son was plotting against him. He only defended him against Brandon because the Stark 'servant' (Aerys interpretation of wardens/LP) dared threatening a Targeryan. If Rickard was able to persuaded Aerys that the Starks aren't enemies but were simply betrayed by a common enemy then......you can kiss most of the KG goodbye.

You are all right about Jaime, but he kills Aerys, that's the reason i count him. 

If it came down to a trial by seven instead I would think the following people would fight, from what I've seen so far. And this is based on people i have a reason to think are among the best in that age. And I would assume that both Lannister and Greyjoy would stay out of it, seeing how they came late to the war as it was, I don't see why they stick their necks out right at the start for a trial by combat. I couldn't fill the final posts though as beyond these guys I have no clue as to who would be the top tier fighters of their generation.

Rebel Team

Robert Baratheon

Brandon Stark

Jason Mallister

Yohn Royce

Brynden Tully

???

???

Loyalist Team

Arthur Dayne

Oberyn Martell

Randyll Tarly

Barristan Selmy

Jaime Lannister

Rhaegar Targaryen

???

On 10.08.2017 at 10:47 PM, Dunk The Tall said:

If Brandon had decided instead a trial by combat a trial by seven it could finished in that moment.

It takes two to tango.

Aerys would have to agree.

The Golden Wolf is correct - a Trial by Seven is ASB

24 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

It takes two to tango.

Aerys would have to agree.

The Golden Wolf is correct - a Trial by Seven is ASB

Aerys wouldn't have to agree with Rhaegar decided to do it. He might well be able to overrule it happening but that is scant good if Rhaegar  comes out armed, armored and pissed off that he has to fight. If Brandon or Rhaegar dies before Aerys gets a whiff, then being monarch means little and less with either's punishment unless he's secretly the night king.

10 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Aerys wouldn't have to agree with Rhaegar decided to do it. He might well be able to overrule it happening but that is scant good if Rhaegar  comes out armed, armored and pissed off that he has to fight. If Brandon or Rhaegar dies before Aerys gets a whiff, then being monarch means little and less with either's punishment unless he's secretly the night king.

The little problem is that Rheagar is not there - not in KL. He is on his way to his secret "third head breeding hideout", raping Lyanna on "conception auspicious" days as they travel. As he is basically a good bloke he does not rape her on her infertile days.

So Brandon and/or Rickard deal with Aerys ...

10 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

The little problem is that Rheagar is not there - not in KL. He is on his way to his secret "third head breeding hideout", raping Lyanna on "conception auspicious" days as they travel. As he is basically a good bloke he does not rape her on her infertile days.

So Brandon and/or Rickard deal with Aerys ...

Not reason to think that Rhaegar raped Lyanna though. So I don't see the point of the instance.

11 minutes ago, LionoftheWest said:

Not reason to think that Rhaegar raped Lyanna though.

She would be a moron to have consensual sex with him. Popping  her cherry with a married man makes her "rooint" by the standards of the day ...

8 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

She would be a moron to have consensual sex with him. Popping  her cherry with a married man makes her "rooint" by the standards of the day ...

Such is the power of emotion. It tend to overtake rationality and 16 year old people are pretty emotional with hormones and all going on. At least that's my knowledge of it. And since Lyanna trained with arms and had the "wolf's blood" its unlikely that she was more concerned with public perception than with doing what she felt she wanted to do.

4 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

We were asked a what if. I answered.

Archived