What Are Your Choices for the Most Despicable and Unlikable Characters in all of Literature ?

GAROVORKIN

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Whoa whoa who spoiler tag that shit!

Considering that this book has been around since 1851 and has had a few adaptations to film and televisions and is a well known a novel , what is there really to spoil?  I already knew the story and it's outcome  long before I read the book.

2 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Considering that this book has been around since 1851 and has had a few adaptations to film and televisions and is a well known a novel , what is there really to spoil?  I already knew the story and it's outcome  long before I read the book.

What's a famous old book you'd like to read?

It's hard to think of a more blood pressure raising character than Anastasia Steele.

On 12/08/2017 at 11:03 AM, Darth Richard II said:

The only casting choice i don't think was 100percent spot on was Helen whatshername Carter. She took Le Strange and just fucking ruined it. Ugh. But I could go on for PAGES about that.

Oh, speaking of Hobb, fucking HEST.

I thought I was the only one who haaaated that casting! I've always read Bellatrix as being this intimidating and haughty woman, and 5'2" Carter is just...not. Her hammy acting didn't help.

2 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

It's hard to think of a more blood pressure raising character than Anastasia Steele.

I thought I was the only one who haaaated that casting! I've always read Bellatrix as being this intimidating and haughty woman, and 5'2" Carter is just...not. Her hammy acting didn't help.

Naw a lot of the fan community HATED her portrayal at the time. I'm generally fine when they change things for films...well OK, I'm fine with LotR and HP, The Hobbit is another story, but I digress. She's the only real main issue I have with the films. And she's actually a good actor in other things, too. Just not in this.

(OK I'm not so fine with Deanthor either, but I've gotten over it)

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I thought he was mentioned up thread.

Although it has been really dead around here.

He was mentioned on the best villains thread.  I acknowledge that he is one of the most depraved characters in literature.

How could I forget Obadiah Hakeswill?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 9:13 PM, Dornite said:

I have to agree on Dolores Umbridge and of course Joffrey and Ramsay Snow.

Also, Humbert Humbert, Portia, most protagonists of YA novels

(ok on the last maybe not despicable, but definitely unlikeable)

Doloroes Umbridge is very easy to hate.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:14 AM, GAROVORKIN said:

Doloroes Umbridge is very easy to hate.

She's easy to hate because she's so despicable.  She really has no redeeming features.  But this absence of any good quality prevents her from being "truly and effectively wicked".  She's the mid-ranking bureaucrat who organises railway timetables to transport people to concentration camps, rather than a Hitler or a Stalin.

11 hours ago, SeanF said:

She's easy to hate because she's so despicable.  She really has no redeeming features.  But this absence of any good quality prevents her from being "truly and effectively wicked".  She's the mid-ranking bureaucrat who organises railway timetables to transport people to concentration camps, rather than a Hitler or a Stalin.

True...

BUT I HATE HER SO MUCH!

Seriously, I think if Rowling had said to her fanbase, "I'm only going to kill off one: Voldemort or Umbridge," it would have been a divisive, and inconclusive, discussion.

Aside from my unreasoning hatred of Rhaegar Targayen--some more common ones.

Walder Frey (ASOI&F)- Is killing everyone under guest right REALLY so heinous? George R.R. Martin made me want to see them all die so badly it's still what I'm looking forward to most.

Glokta (TFL) - It's a toss up between him and Bayaz because it turns out, no, he really WAS every bit as awful and despicable as he routinely claimed himself to be. What he did to Queen Terez is something that makes his ending status all the more loathsome. More so because he was so likable and engaging for the previous two books.

Mike "Ghost" Jenkins (Paladin of Shadows) - I only read the first book but it's impressive there's actually a protagonist in a mostly mainstream thriller series who rapes a teenage girl and beats her. Needless to say, I wasn't interested in pursuing the series after.

Griffith (Berserk) - He's a rare case of being the kind of guy who I understand why he did all the terrible things he did but also condemn him for it all the same.

Archived