What Are Your Choices for the Most Despicable and Unlikable Characters in all of Literature ?

GAROVORKIN

21 hours ago, SeanF said:

She's easy to hate because she's so despicable.  She really has no redeeming features.  But this absence of any good quality prevents her from being "truly and effectively wicked".  She's the mid-ranking bureaucrat who organises railway timetables to transport people to concentration camps, rather than a Hitler or a Stalin.

SHe does sic soul sucking monsters on a couple of teenagers and is prepared to torture one of those teens though. And that’s just in OotP. The implication in Deathly Hallows seems to be that she is even worse. Actually, even before that we hear of her extreme prejudice being worked into policy by her. She is responsible for making it almost impossible for Lupin to get a job, for example. Her evilness seems to go beyond being a bureaucrat imo

Well she's a bureaucrat who goes beyond doing what she's told. She's a petty little monster who uses her position to lord over other people as well as indulge her sadism.

In simple terms, she's not Bane or Talia al Ghul but the Scarecrow as the Judge.

As much as I hate Elaida, even I wouldn't wish what happened to her.

Scratch it, forget everything I said, the Seanchan are the most despicable characters in all of fiction and my only regret is they weren't exterminated by the Dark One to the last person.

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:48 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

Mike "Ghost" Jenkins (Paladin of Shadows) - I only read the first book but it's impressive there's actually a protagonist in a mostly mainstream thriller series who rapes a teenage girl and beats her. Needless to say, I wasn't interested in pursuing the series after.

I was prompted to read up about this series, and it is............extraordinary.

Among other things, the hero tells a (presumably severely traumatised) young woman whom he's rescued from rape and torture, that she owes him a blow job, and that she shouldn't judge all men by her captors as "I haven't risked my fucking life to have you turn lesbo."

6 hours ago, SeanF said:

I was prompted to read up about this series, and it is............extraordinary.

Among other things, the hero tells a (presumably severely traumatised) young woman whom he's rescued from rape and torture, that she owes him a blow job, and that she shouldn't judge all men by her captors as "I haven't risked my fucking life to have you turn lesbo."

The "Oh No, John Ringo" page is a source of amazing black comedy.

Until you realize this is a book that was a bestseller.

http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html

Warning - I ...actually I have no idea how to DESCRIBE the books without extensive horrific situations that are so tone deftly handled and offensive they are almost hilarious. Read at your own caution.

The example above being only a minor one.

But yes, "Ghost" is probably the worst person who ever lived in a spy novel and he's the protagonist.

To go talk about my hatred for the Seanchan more. It's the fact they're a group of slavers, metaphorical rapists, self-righteous pieces of garbage and yet we never properly get them utterly smacked down the way we want to. I like to believe Robert Jordan would have handled them harsher than Brandon Sanderson where I feel like they got a slap on the wrist when they were the most repulsive and vile villains in the Wheel of Time.

8 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

To go talk about my hatred for the Seanchan more. It's the fact they're a group of slavers, metaphorical rapists, self-righteous pieces of garbage and yet we never properly get them utterly smacked down the way we want to. I like to believe Robert Jordan would have handled them harsher than Brandon Sanderson where I feel like they got a slap on the wrist when they were the most repulsive and vile villains in the Wheel of Time.

The Children of the Light were not particularly nice either. 

16 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The "Oh No, John Ringo" page is a source of amazing black comedy.

Until you realize this is a book that was a bestseller.

http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html

Warning - I ...actually I have no idea how to DESCRIBE the books without extensive horrific situations that are so tone deftly handled and offensive they are almost hilarious. Read at your own caution.

The example above being only a minor one.

But yes, "Ghost" is probably the worst person who ever lived in a spy novel and he's the protagonist.

The problem is, that after reading that page, I'm strongly tempted to find a copy of Ghost, to see if it lives up to expectations.

John Ringo seems as much fun as my favourite historical novelist, Brandy Purdy, who has written novels depicting Piers Gaveston (Earl of Cornwall, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland) as a male prostitute working in a French tavern, and a lesbian sex scene involving Katherine Howard, Anne of Cleves, and a pot of honey.

On 11/26/2017 at 2:51 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

As much as I hate Elaida, even I wouldn't wish what happened to her.

Hi Egwene!

54 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I wished for the negotiations to fail and Rand to totally annihilate them, but it didn't happen. Tuon was batshit crazy though, found her very funny in a perverted way.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:50 AM, Dora Vee said:

Kellhus (took awhile for me to feel this way, but once TUC came about. Brrr...)

I mostly hated him because everyone was sucking his cock and 'oh, how amazing he is' despite that he didn't show really amazing things during the story, and his debates weren't particularly impressive but yeah, everyone in the books loved him. The definition of 'tell, do not show' which really should not happen in the books.

8 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Haha, the same can be said for some of the Aes Sedai. At times I found myself hoping the Seanchan would destroy Caemlyn and Tar Valon. That probably has more to do with certain storylines at times than any real love for the Seanchan.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Haha, the same can be said for some of the Aes Sedai. At times I found myself hoping the Seanchan would destroy Caemlyn and Tar Valon. That probably has more to do with certain storylines at times than any real love for the Seanchan.

There's some genuinely awful Aes Sedai no doubt but they never aroused the same level of bile and loathing in me the Seanchan did.

I think the closest I've ever come with them in a purely fictional world would be the Thalmor in Skyrim or the Freys.

I wanted the entire book series to turn into Rand leading an army to decimate and destroy them.

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN - I HATE HIM. I'E ALWAYS HATED HIM AND *WILL* ALWAYS HATE HIM

Yes, this. Part of why I was so impressed with the creepy/revolting depiction of him in Penny Dreadful...this is what the character is, and seriously :ack: 

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yes, this. Part of why I was so impressed with the creepy/revolting depiction of him in Penny Dreadful...this is what the character is, and seriously :ack: 

Absolutely.  He was a fantastic character in that. Pathetic in the true sense of the word. 

Archived