What Are Your Choices for the Most Despicable and Unlikable Characters in all of Literature ?

GAROVORKIN

• 2 weeks later...

Umbridge, Joffrey and Ramsay are almost obligatory. But the worst for me might be Kyle Haven in Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy. I don't recall him ever even physically harming people, but he's just such a gigantic, believable douchebag. I want to drag him out of the book and punch him in the nose every time he appeared. (The same goes for several Hobb characters, actually.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 2:49 PM, First of My Name said:

Umbridge, Joffrey and Ramsay are almost obligatory. But the worst for me might be Kyle Haven in Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy. I don't recall him ever even physically harming people, but he's just such a gigantic, believable douchebag. I want to drag him out of the book and punch him in the nose every time he appeared. (The same goes for several Hobb characters, actually.)

All good choices.

• 3 weeks later...

Mmh... the one I'd bring forward certainly doesn't (clearly) fall into the category of utterly unlikeable, given that I worship the ground she walks on, but she is still the most despicable character I ever got the blessing of reading of: Erika Furudo from Umineko When they Cry.

What do you guys think a true Self Insert Mary Sue looks like? In that she's a young girl in a frilly dress with improbable hair-colour violently inserted into an already existing detective story to literally steal away the protagonist status (including the first person narration!) from the actual protagonist, only to then prance around like an insufferable bitch smacktalking all the characters and treat them like shit and to still be praised for her cleverness and good manners. Of course she's regarded as a brilliant detective far superior to everyone else, and she knows is it and revels in the attention. Everywhere she goes, like Jessica Fletcher, murders just so happen for her to solve, causing her to treat everyone around her as possible suspects even before any murder happen, going around gleefully awaiting the case to start and thus creeping everyone out.

And then there's the fact that the Fourth Wall doesn't exist for her. She knows she is in a detective story and she knows all the tropes associated with them, and doesn't shy away to abuse them to her heart's content, even before she starts to make it a point to derail the story in order to screw with the writer. And the lengths she is going in order to win... holy fucking hell! My favourite scene was still this one in the sixth novel:

Spoiler

The author took away Erika's ability to confirm the death of a character with 100% certainty in order to create a case in which a family annoyed by her behavior faked a seemingly impossible closed room murder to fool her. She then proceeded to gloat to the author that the last trick can't be possible because there is nobody faking their death to carry it out... revealing that she came up with a 'perfect autopsy' to confirm their deaths by slicing off their heads off-screen!

Like... goddamn it... It's one hell of a twisted character when in a story about a mass murder, the killer ends up more sympathetic than this psychopath of a detective. And she's so gloriously over-the-top that at least I can't help but find her amazing, especially in the ways she just merges all Mary Sue tropes and twists them to their logical conclusion.

3 hours ago, The Prince of Newcastle said:

Am I allowed to say that Jezel being so stupidly unaware of what is happening is actually hilarious? Or would that be frowned upon? 

The entire point of Jezel is basically he is on the typical spoiled noble gets better pattern...and doesn't.

The fact he unwittingly orders his Viceroy to get his wife to submit to regular sexual assault is typical of Abercombie black humor.

He's the kind of monarch who would say, "Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?" And then be shocked when they kill all of the nuns and priests in the city.

18 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The entire point of Jezel is basically he is on the typical spoiled noble gets better pattern...and doesn't.

The fact he unwittingly orders his Viceroy to get his wife to submit to regular sexual assault is typical of Abercombie black humor.

He's the kind of monarch who would say, "Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?" And then be shocked when they kill all of the nuns and priests in the city.

I think Jezal got better as a man.  He fought very bravely during the siege of Adua, prevented the execution of Lord Brock's children, and clearly feels obligations towards his subjects.

But, he still got stamped on.  In the world of The First Law, good deeds never go unpunished.

On 1/17/2018 at 7:30 AM, SeanF said:

I think Jezal got better as a man.  He fought very bravely during the siege of Adua, prevented the execution of Lord Brock's children, and clearly feels obligations towards his subjects.

But, he still got stamped on.  In the world of The First Law, good deeds never go unpunished.

I think of Jezal as someone on an "anti-arc."

Jezal got better as a person but the final result is someone worse than before as he's too terrified to be anything but Glokta's figurehead.

And Glokta is a monster by the end, relishing the power he's given by Bayaz.

Spoiler
4 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think of Jezal as someone on an "anti-arc."

Jezal got better as a person but the final result is someone worse than before as he's too terrified to be anything but Glokta's figurehead.

And Glokta is a monster by the end, relishing the power he's given by Bayaz.

I thought that there was a chance that things might get better, under Glokta's rule, given how clear-sighted he was about the flaws in the system.  But, subsequent novels show that brutality and corruption in the government of the Union are as bad as ever.

14 hours ago, SeanF said:
  Hide contents

I thought that there was a chance that things might get better, under Glokta's rule, given how clear-sighted he was about the flaws in the system.  But, subsequent novels show that brutality and corruption in the government of the Union are as bad as ever.

In the end, Glokta got, "If you can't beat em. Join em."

Mind you, the reason for the brutality and corruption of the Union is Bayaz himself.

So no reason to root it out.

Archived