US Politics: Locked, Loaded, Fired Up and Capitalized

Kalbear

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

These are not UVA students. These are the fuckwits in town for the Unite the Right rally tomorrow, where they will air their butthurt while wearing their best Fred Perry or Klan dresses. And the anti-fa who will counter rally.

In that case I hope the fascists don't get laid, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt over this bullshit.

5 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

In the completely unsurprising surprise category, Rasmussen has Trump's approval rating already up 6 with the NK thing. So, yeah...

While it would hardly be surprising if Trump gets a bump, Rasmussen hasn't gotten any more legitimate just cuz Scott isn't running it.

i don't want to keep beating this dead horse but goddamn

frum writing 40 atlantic articles critizing trump-- not for policies or positions but because he violates the norms: cool guy, principled, honorary #resistance thought leader

people actually taking to the streets and counter protesting literal nazi march: waste of time, basically the same as the nazis

cool, makes sense, just making sure

15 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sure, I hope more of these protesters and counter-protesters get drunk and laid than get hurt. That would be cool. If that's all it is, cool. 

/So far I'm not seeing anything on the Googles regarding this, so I guess it's been peaceful. I hope it remains so.

thankfully, as usual the cops (that aren't yaknow, there holding the torches) are keeping the precious fashies safe

8 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

i don't want to keep beating this dead horse but goddamn

frum writing 40 atlantic articles critizing trump-- not for policies or positions but because he violates the norms: cool guy, principled, honorary #resistance thought leader

people actually taking to the streets and counter protesting literal nazi march: waste of time, basically the same as the nazis

cool, makes sense, just making sure

Trying to rewrite history = waste of time. 

Counter protesting "nazis" (which quite frankly has become a mostly overused and improperly deployed term, to the point where it has lost its proper meaning) is fine.Getting hospitalized or hospitalizing someone you disagree with politically over the potential removal of a statue? Not so cool.

Your attempt to equate these two things makes a lot of sense? Just making sure.

10 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

Frankly, I was just looking for an excuse to tell my cool story where I yelled at Paul Wolfowitz.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That is pretty cool. What did you yell at him?

I was checking out, asked the cashier what he thought of Wolfowitz at his store - he and the entire staff were not fans.  Me and my friends were getting good beer.  This was...fall 2004?  Maybe spring 2005, one or the other.  Anyway, microbrews were in and the Iraq war was out.  So after I paid for the beer (illegally) I walked over close enough to where he was lingering about and yelled, "Hey, bang-up job there on Iraq."  I know, I'm a freedom fighter.  Immediately after we went outside and smoked with these two SS guys.  They thought it was funny and were not happy with their assignment.

39 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

/So far I'm not seeing anything on the Googles regarding this, so I guess it's been peaceful. I hope it remains so.

It's been reported that at one point the tiki-tirch marchers surrounded a black church in Charlottesville. Now, it's not violence but it's surely fucked up. 

10 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I was checking out, asked the cashier what he thought of Wolfowitz at his store - he and the entire staff were not fans.  Me and my friends were getting good beer.  This was...fall 2004?  Maybe spring 2005, one or the other.  Anyway, microbrews were in and the Iraq war was out.  So after I paid for the beer (illegally) I walked over close enough to where he was lingering about and yelled, "Hey, bang-up job there on Iraq."  I know, I'm a freedom fighter.  Immediately after we went outside and smoked with these two SS guys.  They thought it was funny and were not happy with their assignment.

What was his response?

I had to pause for a second to figure out that SS = Secret Service and not 3rd Reich Elite Military Unit. Lulz. I think I'll skip that last beer.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Trying to rewrite history = waste of time. 

Counter protesting "nazis" (which quite frankly has become a mostly overused and improperly deployed term, to the point where it has lost its proper meaning) is fine.Getting hospitalized or hospitalizing someone you disagree with politically over the potential removal of a statue? Not so cool.

Your attempt to equate these two things makes a lot of sense? Just making sure.

what the fuck. first of all, again, fuck to the idea that calling ethnonationalist right wing extremists 'nazis' is wrong because they aren't dues paying members of the nsdap in the 40s. these motherfuckers are chanting "blood and soil" ffs. don't pretend that these are just some anal ass history buffs: their goal is nothing short of establishing a white christian ethnostate; genocide. nazism is real, and it's a threat, and needs to be countered at every fucking instance is rears its ugly ass head. and yeah, that means ordinary people going out and taking direct action agasint them. this isn't about "rewriting history" or the removal of a statue, this is about messaging, normalizing, and recruiting. every victory that they get only serves to strengthen their resolve and drag the battle of ideas further into their space. so yeah, those folks out there, doing their part to shout down the real fucking nazis, risking potential bodily harm, aren't "wasting time" but taking an actual principled stance. am not the one equating these two things, only criticizing the mealy mouthed defense of civility and process over outcome

Of course the police protect them. 

And reasons I will never condemn Antifa for beating on white supremacists? Because white supremacists are scum and their entire ideology revolves around oppression and violence. That should not be protected under free speech, but a country that still has slave owning rapists on it's money and still treats the confederate history with respect will never protect the marginalized with darker skin. 

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

What was his response?

I had to pause for a second to figure out that SS = Secret Service and not 3rd Reich Elite Military Unit. Lulz. I think I'll skip that last beer.

He ignored me, entirely.  As if nothing happened.  Which, good for him.  The SS guys said he got that type of shit a lot.  And yeah, should stop referring to them as SS.  That's poorly done drunk shorthand.

16 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

It's been reported that at one point the tiki-tirch marchers surrounded a black church in Charlottesville. Now, it's not violence but it's surely fucked up. 

Honest question, haven't been following this.  Are these assholes showing their faces?  Because if they are...there should be an effort to show their faces.

3 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

yes, the state protecting actual nazis is a bad thing. next question

No it's not. It totally doesn't allow them to have platforms or allow them to gain a following and allow them to have positions in the white house or at the DoJ. I mean there totally aren't neo nazis with the the head of the administrations ear at the moment. There totally wasn't a neo nazi apart of the administration telling people to stop being hard on white supremacists and criticizing them.

2 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

He ignored me, entirely.  As if nothing happened.  Which, good for him.  The SS guys said he got that type of shit a lot.  And yeah, should stop referring to them as SS.  That's poorly done drunk shorthand.

Honest question, haven't been following this.  Are these assholes showing their faces?  Because if they are...there should be an effort to show their faces.

They are showing their faces. Go to Matt McDermott's twitter. He has some pictures up of them and retweeted another one that had a huge group of their faces.

8 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

what the fuck. first of all, again, fuck to the idea that calling ethnonationalist right wing extremists 'nazis' is wrong because they aren't dues paying members of the nsdap in the 40s. these motherfuckers are chanting "blood and soil" ffs. don't pretend that these are just some anal ass history buffs: their goal is nothing short of establishing a white christian ethnostate; genocide. nazism is real, and it's a threat, and needs to be countered at every fucking instance is rears its ugly ass head. and yeah, that means ordinary people going out and taking direct action agasint them. this isn't about "rewriting history" or the removal of a statue, this is about messaging, normalizing, and recruiting. every victory that they get only serves to strengthen their resolve and drag the battle of ideas further into their space. so yeah, those folks out there, doing their part to shout down the real fucking nazis, risking potential bodily harm, aren't "wasting time" but taking an actual principled stance. am not the one equating these two things, only criticizing the mealy mouthed defense of civility and process over outcome

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it's a conflation of what they actually are. Yes, they hold to a horrid, failed ideology. They want to be Nazis, but they are mostly a pale shadow of something that they can only aspire to be. Neo-nazi is the more appropriate term methinks. 

I agree with you that these folks should be countered. That is important. That this instance is centered around the removal of a statue is the bit that I find to be unimportant.

If the outcome results in violence of a significant sort (centered around what I consider to be an insignificant issue) then I'll continue to promote a mealy mouthed defense of civility. You did equate those two things. Go back and reread what you wrote, "just to be sure".

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it's a conflation of what they actually are. Yes, they hold to a horrid, failed ideology. They want to be Nazis, but they are mostly a pale shadow of something that they can only aspire to be. Neo-nazi is the more appropriate term methinks. 

I agree with you that these folks should be countered. That is important. That this instance is centered around the removal of a statue is the bit that I find to be unimportant.

If the outcome results in violence of a significant sort (centered around what I consider to be an insignificant issue) then I'll continue to promote a mealy mouthed defense of civility. You did equate those two things. Go back and reread what you wrote, "just to be sure".

Those statues should have never been put up. They should not be memorializing treasonous racists.

Well any nazi not from germany or from the original nazi party would be a neo nazi. And btw, there are quite a few of them in Charlottesville right now walking around with swastikas. 

Archived