Death Of Logistics Logic?

The Bare Hand

I understand the points about troop strength and routes, but I don't see the point in critiquing the timelines in a show that has an actual Time Lord for one of the main characters.

The travel speeds and whatnot are easily explainable by simply saying Bran has been using time Lord powers to ensure that the good guys are always at an advantage. And in that case, the show creators wouldn't want to discuss it much because it, rightly, makes the battles look irrelevant. 

47 minutes ago, John Meta said:

First a small favor to ask if you would: I can't figure out how to convert the quote into html so I can divide it in my responses like you're doing. I don't see the option in the text box tools. If that's not an option at all, how are you dividing the quote into sections?

Just place your cursor at the end of the paragraph where you want the break, and then quickly double click the enter/return key.

Sorry, I have to run right now, but I'll try to address the rest of your post when I have the time.

On 16/8/2017 at 9:58 AM, Graydon Hicks said:
  1. he also seems to have a bad habit about jumping in time. one moment the royal party is leaving the inn of the crossroads, the next they are at KL. he doesnt really go into how long it takes for someone to travel from point A to point B.

Actually we know it took a fortnight to get from Darry to KL with the whole party. That's actually mentioned in the B chapter. And in Catelyn's chapter we know she traveled from KL to the inn in a fortnight, just her and Rodrik. Catelyn arrives in KL before Ned, and left at least 9-10 days after Ned left KL, which would be when he was crossing the barrowlands with Robert. George effed up with Tyrion's journey from the Wall to WF and then to the Inn though, because that was simply impossible, which he admitted.

2 hours ago, Theon_is_Azor said:

The travel speeds and whatnot are easily explainable by simply saying Bran has been using time Lord powers to ensure that the good guys are always at an advantage. And in that case, the show creators wouldn't want to discuss it much because it, rightly, makes the battles look irrelevant. 

You did see what happened to a person when that Time Lord warped time right? If that is explaning all the teleportation, then why didn't Bran teleport Meera and himself from the cave to the Wall. He just stopped and took a break halfway just so he could meet with Uncle Benjen? Meera was out of breath at the Wall? Was that because of walking or time warping? If time warping creates someone to be out of breath, then why aren't Dany and the Dothraki heaving and breathing heavily before entering Dragonstone? Or Jon catching his breath for a moment when Tormund welcomes him at Eastwatch? And why don't they all turn into Hodors?

19 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

And why don't they all turn into Hodors?

Well, I can't answer for this in regards to the show, but in GRRM's case; He is a masterful wordsmith, who's brilliant talent would be wasted on a bunch of characters with a vocabulary of just one word. ;)

...hmmm, after hearing some of the dialogue that d&d have written, I'm thinking this wouldn't be such a bad idea for the show.

8 hours ago, Theon_is_Azor said:

Please share your weed!

On 17/08/2017 at 7:47 PM, John Meta said:

I understand what you're saying but what I mean is, when does logic matter; why? Such as, is it logical that dragons can fly? Should it be logically explained? Do we need to know the logistics of forging Valyrian steel, or crafting obsidian? When Dany sailed for Westeros do we need a scene with crates being loaded onto the ships and someone saying "Get that grain and foodstuff on the ship so we have food for the journey" "How many crates do we have?" "X thousand" "That will be enough for our Y number of troops" "Good" it just seems really forced and unnecessary dialogue. And where does the logistic line get drawn? Do we also need lines explaining where the Dothraki will use the bathroom? Whenever a journey has taken place do we need dialogue "I'm glad we finally made it" "Yes, it's been X days travelling at Y kmh over Z km; but thankfully we loaded A food in B crates to nourish our C troops" "Good"?

Also if we say "The Dothraki are at Dragonstone and the Dothraki are surviving" then is it logical to conclude they have the resources to survive without the cold facts being introduced into scenes and dialogue?

I get what you're saying, and I think it's an interesting question in general. Why do we demand that some things are explained and not others? You could probably do some interesting research on the psychology of this.

Also, I hope you'll consider a career as a writer. There's something hilarious about your dialogue.

Archived