Is Egg alive? Summerhall murder mystery.

TwiceBorn

Aegon V Targaryen allegedly died at Summerhall.

But if you read Dunk and Egg tales carefully it is often implied that Egg had similar heat resistance to Daenerys. So how come he died in fire? Is it possible that Aegon is still alive during ASoIaF timeline? He was mentioned a couple of times in the book.

We all know one suspicious old bald guy, a Targ loyalist with a love for common folk. Could it be... ?

Or was Aegon murdered at Summerhall and the fire was used to cover up the crime by unknown perpetrators?

Aegon died at Summerhall. We know this because if he'd been alive, he'd have done all in his power to prevent the Rebellion. No way he'd sit back and let his grandson destroy the realm and goad his nobles into civil war.

Now what the details of his death are, I couldn't say. But I keep reminding people that we don't know what happened. The accepted story is that the Targs were trying to hatch dragon eggs, but that's an awfully convenient tale. Unless someone was trying to prove they were The Dragon that was Promised, I don't see the point in attempting it--especially since they'd been told TDtwP would come of Aerys and Rhaella's line, and their first child hadn't even been born yet. If TDtwP has to hatch dragons, you don't try to do it before he or she shows up. And they couldn't have known Rhaella was going to go into labor that exact day.

14 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Aegon died at Summerhall. We know this because if he'd been alive, he'd have done all in his power to prevent the Rebellion. No way he'd sit back and let his grandson destroy the realm and goad his nobles into civil war.

Now what the details of his death are, I couldn't say. But I keep reminding people that we don't know what happened. The accepted story is that the Targs were trying to hatch dragon eggs, but that's an awfully convenient tale. Unless someone was trying to prove they were The Dragon that was Promised, I don't see the point in attempting it--especially since they'd been told TDtwP would come of Aerys and Rhaella's line, and their first child hadn't even been born yet. If TDtwP has to hatch dragons, you don't try to do it before he or she shows up. And they couldn't have known Rhaella was going to go into labor that exact day.

The most likely explanation IF Aegon was trying to hatch dragons at Summerhall: He was a reformist. He wanted to bring changes to the realm, but the powerful Lords fought him on many of his proposals. TWOIAF states that he often lamented not having dragons. He thought that if he had dragons, these lords wouldn't dare oppose his reforms.

In other words, I don't think his attempt to hatch dragons had anything to do with prophecy.

4 minutes ago, Sambo Shaw said:

The most likely explanation IF Aegon was trying to hatch dragons at Summerhall: He was a reformist. He wanted to bring changes to the realm, but the powerful Lords fought him on many of his proposals. TWOIAF states that he often lamented not having dragons. He thought that if he had dragons, these lords wouldn't dare oppose his reforms.

In other words, I don't think his attempt to hatch dragons had anything to do with prophecy.

That's a good point. I've got to read TWOIAF. I have it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

my personal theory about what happened at summerhall relates to the time-freeze theory. I dont want to get into it here, but essentially the theory goes that the others used ice magic to slow down time in westeros, leading to a longer period of the middle ages than normal (this is also why the seasons last for so long). The theory then expands that Euron believes that the only way to end the timelock was to cause an event of such catestrophic damage that it would destroy the time-freeze

my theory is that, during his hunt for dragon eggs, Egg figured out about the time-freeze from ashaii or some place like that, and so tried to do everything he could to break the timelock, believing that this would be the best way to raise the rights of the smallfolk

however, moments before he would have done something that could have seriously damaged all of westeros, dunk convinced him to stop, which is why the only account of the tragedy reads "all dead... but for dunk" or something like that

13 minutes ago, Fishb20 said:

my personal theory about what happened at summerhall relates to the time-freeze theory. I dont want to get into it here, but essentially the theory goes that the others used ice magic to slow down time in westeros, leading to a longer period of the middle ages than normal (this is also why the seasons last for so long). The theory then expands that Euron believes that the only way to end the timelock was to cause an event of such catestrophic damage that it would destroy the time-freeze

my theory is that, during his hunt for dragon eggs, Egg figured out about the time-freeze from ashaii or some place like that, and so tried to do everything he could to break the timelock, believing that this would be the best way to raise the rights of the smallfolk

however, moments before he would have done something that could have seriously damaged all of westeros, dunk convinced him to stop, which is why the only account of the tragedy reads "all dead... but for dunk" or something like that

Dunk died at Summerhall.

As for the "time-freeze" theory, I would say that I've heard stranger crack-pot ideas, but that would be a lie.

On 13.08.2017 at 3:45 AM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

If Egg had the same heat-resistance as Danny then he couldn't possibly die in the fire. So he is either alive or died by more conventional means. A murder for example. If Egg was murdered then the fire could be a convenient cover up. Fires are often used to cover up murders.

GRRM did mention that he intends to write a murder mystery.

Or Egg could have sacrificed his life in a blood magic ritual because Rhaegar was stillborn. Rhaegar was melancholic like all resurrected characters.

Or Egg could be still alive. He was 2 years younger than maester Aemon, so he would be just as old. Nobody knows just how old Varys is, but he does not appear to be that old. But then again: just how old Mel is? There are ways to prolong life and hide your true age...

3 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

If Egg had the same heat-resistance as Danny then he couldn't possibly die in the fire. So he is either alive or died by more conventional means. A murder for example. If Egg was murdered then the fire could be a convenient cover up. Fires are often used to cover up murders.

GRRM did mention that he intends to write a murder mystery.

Or Egg could have sacrificed his life in a blood magic ritual because Rhaegar was stillborn. Rhaegar was melancholic like all resurrected characters.

Or Egg could be still alive. He was 2 years younger than maester Aemon, so he would be just as old. Nobody knows just how old Varys is, but he does not appear to be that old. But then again: just how old Mel is? There are ways to prolong life and hide your true age...

Didn't GRRM state that Targs burn just as crispy cracked as other humans, and that Dany only survived the pyre because of the bloodmagic going on, and not because she likes it hot...?

24 minutes ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

Didn't GRRM state that Targs burn just as crispy cracked as other humans, and that Dany only survived the pyre because of the bloodmagic going on, and not because she likes it hot...?

Yes: http://www.astralgia.com/sfzine/chats/transcripts/031899.html

Granny: Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

16 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Yes: http://www.astralgia.com/sfzine/chats/transcripts/031899.html

Granny: Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Thanks! Yes, that's the one I meant.

So unless there was some serious EFFECTIVE bloodmagic going on at Summerhal (which is not entirely impossible), there is no chance Egg survived that fire. And definitely not sure to fire immunity!

On 8/12/2017 at 5:10 PM, TwiceBorn said:

Aegon V Targaryen allegedly died at Summerhall.

But if you read Dunk and Egg tales carefully it is often implied that Egg had similar heat resistance to Daenerys. So how come he died in fire? Is it possible that Aegon is still alive during ASoIaF timeline? He was mentioned a couple of times in the book.

We all know one suspicious old bald guy, a Targ loyalist with a love for common folk. Could it be... ?

Or was Aegon murdered at Summerhall and the fire was used to cover up the crime by unknown perpetrators?

As others have pointed out, the Targaryens don't have "fire resistance." That obviously includes Egg, so we have no doubt he died in the fire that consumed Summerhall. The more interesting part of your question is the identity of the "unknown perpetrators" of his murder - if it was a murder. Suspect number one, as a member of the maester's conspiracy, has to be the newly appointed Grand Maester himself -  young Pycelle.

Archived