Excessive Fan Service

Pontius Pilate

Excessive fan service ruined a good story.  I have held my opinions of the season so far to see if the writing will improve, but so far, it has not.  It seems to me that the Producers and the Writers of the show have sacrificed a good story and the potential for this show to become a landmark classic in favor of popularity.  Mr. Benioff and Mr. Weiss have decided that fleeting popularity is way more important than preserving the story for posterity.  

1. Brienne vs. Arya.  This was an awful scene that violated not only the logic within the show's plot but common sense in general.  Let me take you back to the previous seasons and remind you of the Waif and her superiority over Arya.  Arya had no chance against the Waif.  Are we to believe that one of the best warriors in Westeros can't fight as good as the Waif!  So now Brienne is no longer as good a fighter as the Waif!  That illogical scene was put there to bring delight to Arya's fans and it did just that, but it made for a very poor story.  Worse than last season when Arya got stabbed and miraculously survived.  She survived and ran a marathon through an obstacle course!
  2. Dany vs. Jon.  How stupid is it to sail all the way to Dragonstone and expect a total stranger to buy your story that the dead are coming?  Very stupid.  Any person with a little bit of sense would have brought more than words.  Dany is right up there with Jon.  A little cave painting that may have been the doodlings of bored primitive people was enough to convince a very rational person.  It doesn't make sense.  For that matter, a logical man like Tyrion gives a silly reason for believing Jon.  Too much fan service again. 
  3. Sansa is a leader.  Common HBO.  There is nothing in Sansa's past to prepare her for leadership.  Nothing.  Too much fan service just to appease those who were complaining when Sansa got raped two seasons ago. 
  4. HBO is too scared of complexity.  Which is the reason why they have dumbed down the story.  That is a shame.  Westworld had a complex plot that people did not understand until the end.  Yet, people still watched and enjoyed.  HBO, please do not shy away from complexity.  It's ok for the viewer to get confused once in a while.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a masterpiece of story telling.  People a hundred years from now will read those books and feel the same way about the story as we do today.  Many future generations will enjoy those books as we have enjoyed them today.  While a show can never equal the books in terms of future enjoyment and posterity, it can at least strive to show a story that will have more value than quick, cheap, fan service.  It looks to me like the show has taken sides in the many Dany vs. Jon debates that fans have been had on many forums.  George himself does not do that.  Fans should not write the story because it then becomes "fan fiction" and no longer ASOIAF.  So much of what we're seeing on TV is just that, fan fiction.

It's not too late.  There is one more season to go.  There is time to get this story back on track.  The best way to do that is to stay faithful to George R.R. Martin's story.  Mr. Benioff and Mr. Weiss, please do not let the fans write the story on the show.  You are both excellent authors in your own right.  I have read City of Thieves and it is very good work.  I am sure Mr. Benioff did not poll reddit just to see what his readers would like to see before writing his novel.  George RR Martin doesn't either.  Participating in the fan discussions and arguing back using the show is not good for the story.  Please, get back on track and stay as close as possible to Mr. Martin's vision. Mr. Benioff and Mr. Weiss, put yourself in the author's place.  Would you want a show based on your books to change your story or would you rather the show creator stay faithful to your vision? 

It's too late to rein the show back in line with the books with only a few episodes left.  No way to bring the two to the same conclusion as the show has really taken a very different path.  That's really sad to me.  The show had so much potential to become a classic but it won't be that any more.  As you say the fans are the ones driving the plot now.   Don't lose hope though.  George Martin is still the one writing the books.  

Archived