LordImp

What should we expect from the Vale?

24 posts in this topic

The Riverlands don't need the Vale to help them. They will rid themselves of the Lannisters and Freys all by themselves.

And the mountain passes are closed due to snow since late ASoS. That's why Sandor and Arya couldn't go to Lysa. It only got worse since then, not better. I mean, you do know that they even had to leave the Eyrie because it is getting to cold up there, right?

If the Lords of the Vale do anything they will have to leave the Vale by ship. And that means they will most likely send out only a fraction of their strength anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

The Riverlands don't need the Vale to help them. They will rid themselves of the Lannisters and Freys all by themselves.

And the mountain passes are closed due to snow since late ASoS. That's why Sandor and Arya couldn't go to Lysa. It only got worse since then, not better. I mean, you do know that they even had to leave the Eyrie because it is getting to cold up there, right?

If the Lords of the Vale do anything they will have to leave the Vale by ship. And that means they will most likely send out only a fraction of their strength anyway.

It wasn't 6 months ago that you were arguing against my assertion that the Riverlands would evict the Lannisters and reclaim control of their lands. If I recall, at the time you were saying the Riverlands are devestated, has little to no strength left and will be unable to play a significant part in any potential "Northern alliance", should something like that be proposed. Now you seem to feel they indeed have the power to free themselves? (Something I have said from the start, of course).

Anyway, my point was not that the Vale would go and rescue the Riverlands. My point was that the Vale can join with the Riverlands in an alliance against their enemies. Or generally perform a useful role considering their untapped strength and plentiful remaining resources. It will be interesting to see what happens if Sansa becomes Lady of the Vale via marriage to Harry AND Lady of the Riverlands through her Tully blood. Then she becomes quite a powerful player in the Game. Of course, should Jon become King, and Rickon somehow disappear from the scene, which I doubt, she would then be lady of Winterfell too.

Edited by Free Northman Reborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

It wasn't 6 months ago that you were arguing against my assertion that the Riverlands would evict the Lannisters and reclaim control of their lands. If I recall, at the time you were saying the Riverlands are devestated, has little to no strength left and will be unable to play a significant part in any potential "Northern alliance", should something like that be proposed. Now you seem to feel they indeed have the power to free themselves? (Something I have said from the start, of course).

You don't really seem to read my stuff. I never said the Riverlords needed outside help to deal with their enemies. They have a very effective guerilla movement with the brotherhood and other outlaws, and it is also quite clear that the Riverlords at large only wait for the moment that their hostages are freed to strike back.

What's unbelievable is the idea that the Riverlands still have the strength to raise a proper army to challenge any of the powerful players in a pitched battle. They can defend their homes and oust the present occupying forces, that's it. If the Lannisters raised another 10,000-20,000 men in the West they would lose everything again, of course. And the same would go if Aegon or Euron or any other pretender ended up invading the Riverlands.

44 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Anyway, my point was not that the Vale would go and rescue the Riverlands. My point was that the Vale can join with the Riverlands in an alliance against their enemies. Or generally perform a useful role considering their untapped strength and plentiful remaining resources. It will be interesting to see what happens if Sansa becomes Lady of the Vale via marriage to Harry AND Lady of the Riverlands through her Tully blood. Then she becomes quite a powerful player in the Game. Of course, should Jon become King, and Rickon somehow disappear from the scene, which I doubt, she would then be lady of Winterfell too.

While Edmure and Catelyn are still alive Sansa is not going to claim the Riverlands. Not to mention that Lord Baelish is now technically the Lord Paramount there, a decision that might be confirmed by King Aegon VI - if the Vale was to help him in the coming struggles.

But the Vale giving away its food to the starving Riverlanders isn't going to help them in the war effort. The Riverlanders are done as a power in their own right. They could at best give one of the claimants their moral support, but nobody going to convince them to raise another army to help some pretender to this or that throne. Not in winter.

In addition, how do you imagine the Vale feeding the Riverlands in winter. The Trident will be soon frozen shut, preventing any ships from reaching the hinterlands. And while order is not yet restored in the Riverlands - and that's not going to happen soon, either because, you know, ousting the Lannisters and Freys will be a difficult task and even when that's done that's not going to equal peace and quiet - the food is going to end up with the people who have the power to take it, not the people who desperately need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when sansa should get kidnapped, i hope they run into the hound and the story which brienne tells jaime, that sandor has sansa, is no trick but the truth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now