Beyond the Wall Discussion

norwaywolf123

4 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

What's a girl no bout gator meat? A girl knows about crab meant especially da blue ones.

Soooo, pup. I guess I will see you at Ren Fest in two weekends? Meet me down by the tarot cart :lol:

22 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

If we do, then only by tales we are told by one or two somewhere in the last two books. Those north of the wall are merging and marrying in to those south of the wall, so whoever is left after whatever the long night ends up being will share tales... but we readers may not get to hear too many.

Assimilation and integration will go both ways. Social standing will impact how the merging happens and what the endproduct is.

As far as costumes, I don't think there is anything more than what you have pointed out; furs, basic leathers, some basic scaled bronze armour, items they have looted off of people, etc.

Maybe they have some different religous costumes?

It is virtually all first men blood, but as pointed out above by another poster in the George SSM, those along the "borders" probably have some Andal blips in their genetic make-up.

The Weeper is blond which i think is a Andal trait.

The only thing I would add is that George has said the Wall in ASOIAF is based on Hadrian's wall, and this includes the political element as well as the irrational fear those on the south side of Hadrian's wall had of those on the other side. They thought the Scots were monsters and evil stealing thieves. Sound familiar? ;)

"Raids by Saxons, Picts, and the Scoti of Ireland had been ongoing in the late 4th century, but these increased in the years after 383. There were also large-scale permanent Irish settlements made along the coasts of Wales under circumstances that remain unclear.[6][7][8][9] Maximus campaigned in Britain against both the Picts and Scoti,[10][11] with historians differing on whether this was in the year 382 or 384 (i.e., whether the campaign was before or after he became Augustus). Welsh legend relates that before launching his usurpation, Maximus made preparations for an altered governmental and defence framework for the beleaguered provinces. Figures such as Coel Hen were said to be placed into key positions to protect the island in Maximus' absence. As such claims were designed to buttress Welsh genealogy and land claims, they should be viewed with some scepticism."

I dont think the fear was irrational but it could have been exxagerated.

3 minutes ago, norwaywolf123 said:

I dont think the fear was irrational but it could have been exxagerated.

I was going by what George says in one of the interviews when he talks about Hadrian's wall. This is how George saw it, and how he wrote it into his books.

Also, Val has honey-blonde hair. I don't think blonde hair is solely and Andal trait alone. The free folk probably have a range in looks, especially since they do not inbreed.

6 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I was going by what George says in one of the interviews when he talks about Hadrian's wall. This is how George saw it, and how he wrote it into his books.

:agree:

6 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Also, Val has honey-blonde hair. I don't think blonde hair is solely and Andal trait alone. The free folk probably have a range in looks, especially since they do not inbreed.

Smart folks. ;)

15 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Soooo, pup. I guess I will see you at Ren Fest in two weekends? Meet me down by the tarot cart :lol:

I wish!  I don’t live round those parts no more and my old Ram ain’t what it used to be. I be needin’ a new one and Sam Elliott mightin’ be done sold me on one.

Now I have to go back and ketchup on the thread. :D

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

And thanks to many people who have worked (and continue to work) very hard it is the great tool/source it is today. I wish I could name everyone, but sadly I can't. I know some of those people we owe our thanks to are @Rhaenys_Targaryen, @Nittanian, and many others. 

Thank you very much for the kind words! Much appreciated!

3 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Thank you very much for the kind words! Much appreciated!

Back when the Wiki was dark and full of errors I was always criticising and bringing up its many mistakes. It's only fair that now I speak just as often (and loudly) about what a fantastic resource it has become. So, my pleasure! :)

Norway Wolf - yes, I meant exogamy. My language does not use the letter "x" (except for "taxi", math formulae or angles in geometry :)) so sometimes I get my spelling wrong.

It is highly likely that the Ygritte quote about exogamy I alluded to had been kindly provided by The Fattest Leech :)

LOL!

I forgot about the "kissed by fire" Free Folk! And thanks for pointing out that blond Free Folk exist too.

Somebody mentioned the Welsh Maximus - he features in this sweet song:

On 2017-08-13 at 3:18 PM, norwaywolf123 said:

Disclaimer

English is not my first language, correct me to help improve my english skill. 

Text me if you want me to add a question or think that i have missed something.

Questions

1. Does anyone know if this website "http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page" is accurate and covers all the information?

2. Will we learn more about the peeoples beyond the wall? What are their tribal customes, traditions, religous beliefs, mythology, way of life? 

3. Could you imagine a ASOIAF spinoff of Beyond the Wall? How do you imagine a spinoff would look like and what would it be about?

4. Does the "Freefolk" have much andal blood? What are physical traits that are Andal in orgin?

"If you want to figure out a family's descent, the names are a better clue than the eyes. Houses descended from the First Men tend to have simple short names, often descriptive. Stark. Reed. Flint. Tallhart (tall hart). Etc. The Valyrian names are fairly distinct are well: The "ae" usage usually suggests a Valyrian in the family tree. The Andal names are . . . well, neith Stark nor Targaryen, if that makes sense. Lannister. Arryn. Tyrell. Etc. Of course, you also need to remember that there have been hundreds and in some cases thousands of years of interbreeding, so hardly anyone is pure Andal or First Man."

http://web.archive.org/web/20001005212114/eventhorizon.com/sfzine/chats/transcripts/031899.html

5. How will the Freefolk integrate into the North and Westeros? Will they integrate? Will they assimilate the people around them?

6. What form does Law and Order take beyond the wall? Does any societies there have enough law and order to prosper and progress?

Other:

Sources:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Beyond_the_Wall

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Free_folk

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Wall

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night's_Watch

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Others

1. Dont know about it.

2. I dont think so we already know a lot about it.

3. No

4. They dont have any andal blood.

5. It will be slow and hard if possible.

6 I dont know.

On 8/13/2017 at 9:18 AM, norwaywolf123 said:

Of course, you also need to remember that there have been hundreds and in some cases thousands of years of interbreeding, so hardly anyone is pure Andal or First Man.

http://web.archive.org/web/20001005212114/eventhorizon.com/sfzine/chats/transcripts/031899.html

The Thenns also consider themselves closer to the First Men of old than other tribes beyond the Wall.

The Thenns were not like other free folk, though. The Magnar claimed to be the last of the First Men, and ruled with an iron hand. His little land of Thenn was a high mountain valley hidden amongst the northernmost peaks of the Frostfangs, surrounded by cave dwellers, Hornfoot men, giants, and the cannibal clans of the ice rivers. (ASOS Jon III)

23 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The fear is a reality in the gift but for the rest of westeros it is more xenophobia than real danger.

23 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

free folk may have gotten some andal blood throughout the years too

2 hours ago, TMIFairy said:

Norway Wolf - yes, I meant exogamy. My language does not use the letter "x" (except for "taxi", math formulae or angles in geometry :)) so sometimes I get my spelling wrong.

:)

On 8/14/2017 at 2:27 PM, TMIFairy said:

Welsh

Scots, Irish and Welsh consider English as a second language?

The people have their own native language and have dialects within their regions.

African’s speak Queens English. Proper enough to put American’s and Brit’s to shame.

Spaniards, the people born in Spain, don’t speak the same dialect as Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, South & Central Americans, or Filipinos ----yet they can communicate. All the people I mentioned speak more than one language.

When some jokester jackass comes up in forums on the internet saying English is not their first language, umm, I dunna know, I just gotta question it.

Archived