[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

I mean, come on, the show is making meta jokes about itself.  

Still rowing?  Ghost jokes?  Kit Harrington height jokes?

The constant dick jokes are bad enough, but having characters actually speak Internet memes.

How much lower can it go?

It's come up a couple of times, so I'll remind:  We have a clear time reference. Little Sam.

He was born early in S2.  He is basically the same age in 7.1 and 7.5.  That is really odd considering what's been going on, so much for the hand waving, "Lots of time passed" explanations of teleporting armies and navies.  Still, he is something between 1 and 2 from what we've seen.  Feel free to correct me on this, people with more baby experience.  He is pre-verbal or barely verbal, but fairly mobile.

5 minutes ago, legba11 said:

It's come up a couple of times, so I'll remind:  We have a clear time reference. Little Sam.

He was born early in S2.  He is basically the same age in 7.1 and 7.5.  That is really odd considering what's been going on, so much for the hand waving, "Lots of time passed" explanations of teleporting armies and navies.  Still, he is something between 1 and 2 from what we've seen.  Feel free to correct me on this, people with more baby experience.  He is pre-verbal or barely verbal, but fairly mobile.

Magic comes back, White Walkers are returning and dragons have been born again. No wonder space and time is suddenly fractured everywhere :-).  

2 minutes ago, That Westeros Dude said:

But Jaime was just at Kings Landing, so when he goes see Cersei only a couple days have passed, Dany has to travel back to Dragonstone, that takes some time, also it takes months just to travel to Eastwatch, so when they return with the wight, she should be ready to have this kid. 

Dragonstone is really near King's Landing, just a couple of days.

Eastwatch on the other end is around 2000 miles away. In medieval times a boat that's wouldn't need to stop at every port would cover the distance in roughly 1 month (60 miles per day).

I think three months for all the travels could be fair.

Another fantastic episode! I was on the Reddit board and there was a guy/girl doing this "narrator" thing I didn't get at first, then it clicked. He/she was doing the Ron Howard narrator of Arrested Development in response to all the ridiculous love this show gets. For example, a poster might write: "Littlefinger leaving that letter for Arya to make her angry at Sansa? She can't be stupid!"

Then the next post was: "Narrator: She is that stupid."

"Even DnD wouldn't resort to such deus ex storytelling" (in regard to Gilly and Raggy and annulment). "Narrator: They did." (Picture of Sam and Gilly fleeing citadel and an arrow pointing to a book in their wagon of supplies) 

And he had them sprinkled all over the thread. Brilliant! I want to continue the tradition over there.

Anyway: Dany brings the prisoners of war before her and says she is different than other rulers! She will not kill them like other rulers! Except she already burned most of them, and then, by the way, those who won't bend the knee will be burned right away, and, oh yeah, you don't get a chance to think about it, you get burned RIGHT NOW if you don't bend the knee even though Jon Snow is allowed to walk around Dragon Stone forever and mine weapons. But he didn't fight her openly! people will argue. Still, her argument was, all must bend the knee or burn. Except Jon Snow, I guess.

Already brought up, but in addition to her overall stupid opening, she definitely landed Drogon in front of Jon because she thought, "Hey, I'm really on a roll today. Let's terrify some more 'Kings and lords.'" When it didn't work she was clearly pissed.

Seriously, I don't have the energy to go scene by scene through how terrible all this writing is. It's bad. Scene by scene it's bad. When Beric is talking in the cell, and the Hound interrupts him, for the audience, and says, "So are we fucking come with you or not?" I wanted to punch the wall. 

All of this is so forced.

The annulment itself is getting a lot of talk, but it's clearly a moot point. Why would Rhaegar make his first heirs bastards? He didn't. The writers of the show know his kids would be dead. They're finding a way to make Jon legitimate. Maybe Martin goes this route to give Elia a really dark fate. Maybe. But maybe Martin just goes with the divorce and marriage so none of Rhaegar's children are de-legitimatized. What we're learning in the show makes absolutely no sense except that the writers thought, "Oh, we have to avoid another King in the North crowning scene. Jon has to be legitimate. How do we do that?"

Speaking of the King in the North--remember how in the books the North is like LOYAL to the Starks? They LOVE the Starks. They'll die for the Starks. If they decided to make Jon Snow the King in the North (they'd probably make him Jon Stark is my guess), then there is no way in hell they'd be like, "maybe we should have made Sansa Lady in the North!" like three weeks later. These lords in the show are a bunch of fickle assholes who don't deserve to share the same names as their stalwart book counterparts. 

11 hours ago, Ice Walker said:

- The repetition of lines from earlier seasons(opinions of sheep, wars to come) are giving me headaches. Not to mention the "still rowing" part. Feels like I'm watching Deadpool.

I'm hearing you on that.  I'm also really over the reunions this season.  Honestly, if I see another "heartfelt hug"...

I really hope that once Jon returns to Winterfell we will just get a scene of the family sitting around a dinner table, skipping another "pause and stare for a few seconds before running to hug them" scene.

10 hours ago, Ordos said:

I really do not like how too many characters have become irrelevant. I'll go down the list ad you can tell me where I'm wrong. I really fear that we might never again hear from some of the following:

Ellaria Sand

Euron Greyjoy

Theon Greyjoy

Yara Greyjoy

Brienne

Grey Worm

One does have to wonder WTF happened to Euron and his magically appearing fleet.  He seemed to be beyond the standard Westerosi teleporter skills.  I was thinking that ship could sail the winds, and wind up anywhere, like Peter Pan. 

2 minutes ago, Rhodan said:

Magic comes back, White Walkers are returning and dragons have been born again. No wonder space and time is suddenly fractured everywhere :-).  

Hold on, hold on. People are brought back by fire, and dragons have returned, but as far as most people are concerned--White Walkers are silly.

13 hours ago, Ser Snowflake said:

So Lord Tarly betrays his liege lord for the Lannisters but refuses to bend the knee to Dany because she is a foreign invader?

Dany is of House Targaryen who ruled the 7K for over 300 years, until the Baratheons usurped the Iron Throne. In fact, House Targaryen raised the Tyrells to the position of Warden of the South and gave them Highgarden. 

If given the choice between serving Cersei, who murdered the Tyrells and destroyed the Faith of the Seven at the Sept of Baelor, or serving Dany, I would choose Dany. His liege lord was Olenna and she declared for the Targaryens. 

Lord Tarly reminded me of Tywin, when he was addressing Tyrion. I think that Tywin would have bent the knee to save his own hide.

Plus, the Baratheon house's origin is Valyrian.  He also falsely said that Dany was not born in Westeros.  Seems she could have pointed out that she was born on Dragonstone.

47 minutes ago, Elayis said:

Gah. Episodes like this make me want to rage. We get the full court press of GoT flaws: bad dialogue, plot armor, contrived story arcs, delayed confrontations until the end of the season, teleporting, unintentionally contradictory writing, unnecessary D&D filler, dumb fan service, Cliff Notes style storytelling. Everything that ASoIaF isn’t, basically.

This... what upsets me the most is the fact that you could have made much more realistic with some really small changes...

It looks like that now that GoT is a big sucess on cable and they (D&D and other writers)  already have the money and fame on their pockets they allow themselves to be sloppy and predictable.  I think this is a total disrespect to the fans...

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I mean, come on, the show is making meta jokes about itself.  

Still rowing?  Ghost jokes?  Kit Harrington height jokes?

The constant dick jokes are bad enough, but having characters actually speak Internet memes.

How much lower can it go?

This. And I expect worse to come. But I mean - now I get it - we got a great book adaptation until season 5, then the material ended.

Now we get something to fill the wait for the next books, a fanfic at a good professional level with amazing CGI. We should be almost grateful.

Please continue to elaborates memes and theories. Keep in mind to be as detailed as possible. D&D are reading everything and they might choose here material for the end game. Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Marada78 said:

Dragonstone is really near King's Landing, just a couple of days.

Eastwatch on the other end is around 2000 miles away. In medieval times a boat that's wouldn't need to stop at every port would cover the distance in roughly 1 month (60 miles per day).

I think three months for all the travels could be fair.

sure but for Dany to reach Jaime, it took the time same time for his march from Highgarden to Kings Landing. I guess she must have just camped out Renly style on her march towards Jaime. 

3 Months to get to Eastwatch and 3 to get back, so she should be 7-8 months when they have the wight party. 

13 minutes ago, legba11 said:

He was a literal infant for two years.  A tiny infant in a crib, for two seasons, if not more.  So, we have to just admit that there is no 'control' for time in GOT, it is what the show wants it to be.

I would forgive maybe once or twice in the whole series when totally unbelievable crap happened like armies that had to travel hundreds or thousands of miles appearing out of nowhere.  But the show now does it for every fucking battle.  Every time.

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He was a literal infant for two years.  A tiny infant in a crib, for two seasons, if not more.  So, we have to just admit that there is no 'control' for time in GOT, it is what the show wants it to be.

I would forgive maybe once or twice in the whole series when totally unbelievable crap happened like armies that had to travel hundreds or thousands of miles appearing out of nowhere.  But the show now does it for every fucking battle.  Every time.

Obviously, the problem is, the screenwriters themselves don´t know how much time pass each season. They like to say things in the style  "season=year", but that isn´t  plausible.

Haven't posted a good rant in a while, so this one's a long one.

Samwell's defining trait is now that he will steal your stuff then take off in the middle of the night, all the while forgetting about vital exposition until required. He should rock up to King's Landing and cart the Iron Throne off while he's at it.

Jaime's fake out death was impressively lame. Kudos for not even having him shed his breastplate. Kept the gold hand too, good thing his empty head makes him so buoyant. Bronn contradicting himself within the space of two lines was just the Emmy award winning writing I've come to expect from this show.

St. Tyrion the Most Moral Man in the Universe is the most worthless adviser of all time. He has done absolutely nothing to prove himself of value to Deadpan and has consistently fucked everything up: he screwed up in Meereen, he managed to concoct a plan so amazingly terrible that Deadpan lost all three of her major allies, now he's crafted a pointless suicide mission for Jon. There is no in universe reason why she would tolerate or forgive his breath-taking incompetence and borderline insubordination – they are on the same side because they are “good guys”, any pretence of still being a deconstruction or a more realistic take on the fantasy genre is long gone.

Week after week it's hammered home that there is zero reason for Deadpan not to have immediately taken the Red Keep, she could've flown there with Drogon and ended the war single-handedly at any time with minimal civilian causalities. Instead she has been sitting on her arse for what have to be in-universe months (given all the other events this season: large scale movements of medieval armies and fleets, etc.). Hell, this episode establishes that Davos and the extremely conspicuous Tyrion can access the Red Keep any time they felt like it (and mentally summon Bronn?), she doesn't even need her extremely well-behaved, precision targeting, psychically-controlled superweapons she could send a few assassins and Cersei would be done. In a show that has no shortage of extreme contrivance, the warping of the plot to preserve D&D's beloved Carol is the most glaring.

That said the competition is stiff, especially the White Walkers, who despite marching for literally years in showtime still haven't reached the Wall. A teenage girl dragging a large crippled boy through icy wastes is somehow orders of magnitude faster than an army that doesn't require rest or food.

As for the moral quandary over Deadpan burning fools... why is this violence different from all the other “empowering” violence. She's been completely consist on this for seasons, everyone both on her side and against is aware of what she has done (somehow). It's also completely consistent with the behaviour of every other leader in the show, including “heroes” Jon Snow (executed traitors including Olly, with dubious authority to boot given that he immediately declared his watch over) and Ned Stark who executed a Night's Watch deserter in the very first episode). And Varys is judging her? Varys who is open about the fact that he sends assassins after people he feels are unworthy to rule? Her bringing up the Wheel Breaking speech again was obnoxious but executing an idiot traitor who doesn't know when to surrender, who refuses the mercy of being allowed to take the Black, who's whole motive comes down to insane xenophobia (let alone that he seems to have forgotten about centuries of Targaryen rule, fighting for them during Robert's Rebellion and that Dragonstone is part of Westeros, let alone the fact Cersei blew up the Vatican). Scene wasn't helped by David Benioff standing around conspicuously just over Randyll's shoulder. On a tangent, why are the Lannister troops so loyal and have unshakable morale in the face of overwhelming force and dragon-fire? It's not believable and doesn't fit with any of the other depictions of them found throughout the show.

The lampshading of things like Ghost not being present or Tyrion being responsible for the death of Davos' sons, is somehow even more annoying than the writers forgetting large elements of their own plot. It's obnoxious, "yeah we remembered one of the many things that we dropped the ball on, we just don't care."

Jon's suicide mission to somehow snatch one of the wights without being immediately killed by the rest of the army reminds me of Star Trek where the bridge crew, the senior officers/main characters are always going on missions where they have no business being on the front-line. They even through in a few wildling redshirts to complete the effect. That they didn't even shell out for a few horses was the cherry on the stupidity cake. If they know they are within walking distance why even go to them? Why didn't Deadpan just do a fly-by if she cares about Jon's well-being so much as to almost express a feeling? And proving things to Cersei? The illegitimate openly-incestuous queen who blew up the Vatican, who's military only survives because Dany is inexplicably merciful?

It gets even worse when you remember all the dropped plot-threads, time wasting and obviously incompetent plotting that led to this point – so many of us ranters saw this coming for years, but apparently professional writers D&D are either wildly incompetent or simply don't care (or, more likely, both). Remember how they spent an entire season moving Sam from A to B just to have him re-learn information he had at point A? One of the biggest arguments for deviating from the books is efficiency, there's simply too much to be covered in a live-action format, but the writers have been incredibly wasteful of screen-time for seasons and are now obviously scrambling to jam everything together into a simple good vs evil confrontation, logic be damned.

Almost all character development ceased seasons ago, with the possibly exception of Sansa's dial-a-personality. Half the cast have been standing around waiting to be killed off for years now, and it won't even register when they finally are struck off the payroll because they barely resemble characters at this point and won't be remembered save for maybe a catchphrase (see Rickon the Quantum Stark, Stannis the Gammer-nazi, the House/Nation of Dorne, etc.).

The show is bad fan-fiction peppered with cheesy, forth-wall breaking, “fan”-service. Every element of the writing feels fake and low-effort.

I got a good laugh when Benioff, i think, recently said in interview, that unlike Martin, he and Weiss had to be "architects". That sounds good in theory, but in practice their architecture is so hastily and flimsily done that Angry Birds could crush it.

38 minutes ago, Rhodan said:

I got a good laugh when Benioff, i think, recently said in interview, that unlike Martin, he and Weiss had to be "architects". That sounds sounds good in theory, but in practice their architecture is so hastily and flimsily done that Angry Birds could crush it.

You shouldn't underestimate Angry Birds.  It is dangerous to underestimate Angry Birds.

1) The mess which was Jamie/Bronn escaping and then Tyrion/Davos coming to King's landing to meet them.

So Jamie charges Dany and her dragon and at the last minute is saved by Bronn. Then Bronn manages to save a drowning Jamie despite his armor. And Bronn is able to swim with Jamie to a safe enough place despite his armor. And this while both of them went into the river right in front of Dany and the dothraki who could easily make out who Jamie was based on his armor and hence recognize his importance.

Then Davos/Tyrion hatch a plan to meet Jamie so that they can talk about their plans of capturing a wight and show it to Cersei. Tyrion somehow communicates with Bronn, Davos smuggles him and he manages to do so in the most convoluted manner ever. 

You know what would have avoided all the mess? Jamie being captured by Dany. Tyrion convincing her that he would be better of as a messenger to Cersei and can convey their plan to her. Simple and more plausible

2) They talk about Davos smuggling Tyrion to king's landing.

Davos was a great smuggler but how familiar is he with king's landing? You know who is an expert of secret passages in King's landing? Varys. And he was standing right there. 

Archived