[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

3 hours ago, StepStark said:

I honestly think that this was probably the stupidest hour of television that I ever watched. Seriously, was there even one scene that wasn't absurd? At least one scene that can't be ridiculed for its failures in logic and common sense? The closest I can think of is Tyrion/Varys scene, which is not as evidently absurd as other scenes, but even that one is completely illogical because it relies on the "brilliant" idea that Tyrion (along with Varys apparently) would rather loose the war than kill even one enemy soldier.

Seriously, I'm honestly asking, is there at least one single scene in this episode that isn't based on pure stupidity and doesn't require huge suspension of disbelief?

No to your last question. And that much suspension of disbelief would require being asleep. 

Because I host for show watchers, I usually have to sit through it twice, east coast and then west coast for people with demanding work schedules. I actually left my own house so I didn't have to sit through it again. And when I returned, my show only guests told me I didn't miss much, even they thought most of it was really stupid and written to please fans. Jaime's survival, the wight hunt, stupid stupid Winterfell, plastic axe, Gilly's weird reveal, Sam's dark library book swipe, so many low points. For show only watchers lol. At least next week there will be action to distract from the maddening stupidity of everything else. Its barely fun to even hate watch now, its just an hour of squirming with irritation. Drogon is the only thing worth seeing on the screen.

2 hours ago, Rhodan said:

I got a good laugh when Benioff, i think, recently said in interview, that unlike Martin, he and Weiss had to be "architects". That sounds sounds good in theory, but in practice their architecture is so hastily and flimsily done that Angry Birds could crush it.

I wouldn't trust D&D to build my dog house.

8 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

St. Tyrion the Most Moral Man in the Universe is the most worthless adviser of all time. He has done absolutely nothing to prove himself of value to Deadpan and has consistently fucked everything up

This surprises me every time. She could/should have dismissed him after the slavemasters uprising in Mereen.

Things I do not liked this episode:

* Dany talking her wheel-thing again.

* Are there only three men of the brotherhood left? Or is the rest rotting in the cells in Eastwatch until the NK arrive?

* I like the growing tension in Winterfell, but the parts do not match. Sansa envy about Brienne serving Arya as well, Aryas envy about fathers and mothers room, Littlefingers letter, Sansas loyality or disloyality to Jon. Nice fragments that will not fit into a picture.

* 2nd episode without Euron

1 hour ago, Greywater-Watch said:

A conversation picked up at the camp fire the first night after leaving Eastwatch by the Sea:

Clegane: So, king of the North, it seems you have fought this army of the dead before?

Jon: Yes, twice. Myself and Tormund, Him in much more battles.

Clegane: So tell me, King Snow, what expects us, how do we fight them, what is special about them?

Jon: As far as I  can tell, there are two kinds of foes. First there are the wights. And then there are the White Walkers. And the Night King of course.

Clegane: Tell me more.

Jon: Well, the wights, first of all. There are mayn of them, hundres, thousands, tens of thousands. They are hard to kill. If you cut of a limp, this limp will still fight. They are strong and feel no pain.

Clegane: What do you mean?

Jon: I fought one once in Castle Black. He had blue eyes, but his looks were well the looks of a ranger re-animated. I had a direwolf and a sword to fight him.

Clegane: And?

Well, I thrust the sword through his bowels but he still moved his hands to my throat and nearly throttled me, had the direwolf not saved me.

Clegane: And then he was dead, yes?

Jon: No, only after throwing fire at him, you can still see my burned hand.

Clegane: And the “White Walkers”?

Jon: Now that is a still more dangerous foe. Simple swords will not hold, but break when touching the sword of the others. It seems to freeze your own sword on the touch. The only chance to defeat them is with a sword made of Valyrian steel or with dragon glass. The wildlings never achieved to kill a white walker, right Tormund?

Tormund: You are right, as far as I know.

Jon: Oh, and of course your own amour means nothing, the weapon of the White Walkers goes through it like through silk.

Clegane. Sounds amusing. And the Night King?

Jon: Well, he sort of looks like the white walkers, but I never fought him directly. He has supernatural powers. By just raising his hands he can re-animate all fallen human foes to become wights within seconds. I do not know if he can be killed by dragon glass or Valyrian steel.

Clegane: And we want to do what: Catch a White Walker alive?

Jon: No that I think would be impossible. A wight sould suffice.

Clegane: So the plan is to catch a wight wondering all alone in the wild, without anyone else of the Dead Army noticing?

Jon: Ahem, little probability. They do not wander alone, as far as I know. They always march in big troops, many wights and some few White Walkers to lead them.

Clegane: Hmmm…. Thinking of all you said, our only hope is to be lucky and meet a small troupe of wights, capture one, kill the rest quickly, and make off fast, correct?

Jon: Precisely.

Clegane: So, let me guess. In order to get away fast, once we got the wight, we ned horses. Close fight is not recommended, neither for wights, nor for White Walkers. So, we put the fights on fire, kill the White Walkers with spears or arrows with dragonglass heads. As fas as I can see, only you have a Valyrian sword, so you could fight a White Walker at close range, if need be. Beric here, he can put his sord on fire, so if necessary, he could fight the wights at close range, but in any case range fight would be advisable.

Jon: Yes, that is a good summary.

Clegane: So, None of us has a bow, none a spear, where is the dragonglass?

Jon: [looking at Jorah Mormont]: Ahem Jorah, what about the box of dragonglass you put in the boat when we set off from Dragonstone?

Jorah: Well, your Grace, you told me to put this box into the boat, but what happened afterwards with it, I do not know. I never knew there was dragonglass in it, nor its use.

Clegane: So, I assume we meet a hundred horsed bowmen soon, who you should no doubt have had no problems to command to come to Eastwatch by raven, when we left Dragonstone. These hundred bowmen equipped with fire and dragonglass arrows will await us with some spare horses. And provisions of course, as we just ate what we had in our pockets, when leaving Eastwatch. Correct? And for sure, they have some ravens for Winterfell, Eatwatch and Dragonstone, in case we need to send  message for help or at least facing certain failure and death to inform about it?

Jon: Oh shit, I forgot about all that…

Lol you just did more work requiring a brain than anybody on the writing team of this sad sad show;)

Epic rant Sir Loin Steak, copied and pasted to send to my houseguests from last night.

32 minutes ago, BradDoty08 said:

I wonder if Cersi really is pregnant. She knew that Jamie was meeting with Tyrion and she knows that Jamie loves Tyrion. Maybe she's just using the "pregnancy" to keep Jamie under her control? She knows Jamie is the sort of sane one of the family and that he'll do what he thinks is right. Maybe she's just trying to keep him under her thumb.

At first I thought she couldn't have known that Jaime would drop by at the moment when the maester was giving her health(?) advice. But since she admitted knowing about Tyrion's visit this makes me think she could be lying to Jaime - she got the timing right there as well. He would get Jaime's protection if he thought she was pregnant.

Other things I disliked:

- burning the Tarlys

- I absolutely don't get the point of Jon and 6 other guys going beyond the Wall to capture one wight when there is a huge army of dead marching

- I don't understand Sam's motivations for leaving the Citadel just when it seemed that the maester maybe could do something.

- "No need to go to Cersei before we have that wight" *proceeds to immediately going to KL*

- I'm not buying Thoros, Sandor and Berric surviving in a freezing cell in a freezing castle in a freezing North

- D&D using that rowing joke. Maybe it was supposed to be a wink or a nod or something to fans but I just disliked it.

14 minutes ago, Simon Tam said:

* 2nd episode without Euron

I wonder how Euron is going to react when he finds out Cersei's pregnant. Will he care? Will this be a deal-breaker for him? Will he adopt the baby Lannister? 

Because I'm sure the people of Westeros won't care. They totally forgot that season 1 and 2 principle that incest-born bastards are not supposed to be near the throne, like they forgot they had a religion, a religious house and a head of religious who gave out free meals and shoes. I wish Sam had invented cavinton in his lunch break after he was done with the  cure of greyscale.

9 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

I wonder how Euron is going to react when he finds out Cersei's pregnant. Will he care? Will this be a deal-breaker for him? Will he adopt the baby Lannister? 

Maybe we'll see a quick marriage arranged with Euron and he will think it's his. 

Just watched the episode a second time. And I found some 60 seconds I agree with: The second half of the scene with Sansa and Arya. I felt this scene was ok, because it was subtle, the message between the lines, and in line with the characters.

I mean, Arya confronting Sansa with her conclusion to Sansa's character (which resumes well what we have learned in the book as well as in the show). And - for the intersting watcher/reader - a hint at her capabilites to read in the faces of other people.

Unfortunately I did not find another scene I would agree with in terms of quality and coherence to the story. But I promise: I will try, try hard...

16 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

What does Gendry's haircut mean?

My bet is that after 5 seasons of intense rowing training Gendry is now on his way to become One Punch Man.

It means we can track the time jumps a lot better...

Of course unless the Hound is a barber

3 hours ago, legba11 said:

It's come up a couple of times, so I'll remind:  We have a clear time reference. Little Sam

No we don't. They mess around with his lifespan as much as any other time-reference. 

They can't go backwards and make him a zygote again, but aside from that Anything Goes. 

ummm why are they bringing a white walker to cersei?  Couldn't whatever they want be achieved by flying dany and 3 dragons to the red keep and demanding it?

how will a white walker impact Cersei's thinking?  

2 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

ummm why are they bringing a white walker to cersei?  Couldn't whatever they want be achieved by flying dany and 3 dragons to the red keep and demanding it?

how will a white walker impact Cersei's thinking?  

Especially because Cersei's gonna be like, "A zombie, is that supposed to impress me? Here, let me introduce you to UnGregor." 

This show is so fucking stupid, I swear to God. And show-only people are eating up the Snowcide Squad because it's like, so badass, man. 

Dany's offer of choice to Tarly was very reminiscent of Aerys handling of Ned's father.  Offered him trial by combat and using fire as the king's champion.  Dany offered Tarly bend the knee or fire.  Shoot Aerys seems more reasonable than Dany, at least Rickard Stark got a chance at "combat"

I can't believe I didn't mention how crazy the wight hunt idea is. 

I think I forgot that the others are marching as one army and that they were still wandering aimlessly and were disorganized. I was assuming that Jon and the gang were hoping to find a lone wight or white Walker in the forest like that time around Crasters. Even so that's an insane plan but they are desperate to prove it to Dany. Idk why they bother proving shit to Cersei she's done for or should be. Given that the dead are marching as one though how are 7 guys gonna do shit?

2 hours ago, Banjo said:

Davos was a great smuggler but how familiar is he with king's landing? You know who is an expert of secret passages in King's landing? Varys. And he was standing right there. 

Davos grew up in Flea Bottom and has talked about how he's been avoiding Gold Cloaks for 50 years, or whatever. 

Varys undoubtedly knows the palace better, but he sticks out like a sore thumb. Not as sore as Tyrion, but one complaint at a time. Davos is virtually unrecognizable compared to Varys. 

That being said, this is moot point considering Carol apparently let the meeting happen.

She didn't let Gendry happen, though. He's been under her nose for years. Granted, she's been busy in the meantime.

I don't think she needs to care anymore about potential rival claimants for the Baratheon throne. If sacrilege, murder of popular figures, and terrorism ain't no thang, what's one guy who just so happens to be genetically predisposed to swing a hammer? 

Archived