[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

11 minutes ago, desire said:

I just can't maybe we should all get a bunch of balls with plots lines written on them and just hand all this over to the Manatees 

Hahaha. Love that episode. Just don't take an idea ball out of the tank.

1 hour ago, ramla said:

why didn't Cersei kill Tyrion? She knew he was in the city but allowed him to come and go without molestation??? She didn't know about Olenna's confession.
Why would Tyrion even attempt some mess like that!? Whats the purpose of Varys if he can't get a message to somebody in Kingslanding!? A Spymaster that leaves it to the Hand of the King to risk his life to talk to Jamie.

If they are capable to capture a wight with 6 people when the AoD has over 100,000 of zombies, undeads and white walkers, which by the way don't need to eat, drink or sleep, (and have magic)....................

Then it would also make sense to Capture Jaime and bring him to meet Tyrion in Dragonstone... (even bringing Jaime to Eastwatch so he can see it by himself....)

Btw, following up the post above... wouldn't be much better writing if Jaime was captured after the battle... (no Aquaman Lannister), brought to Dragonstone, then John would convince Danerys to go to Eastwatch with him (and Jaime) to see the AoD? (without the stupid idea of capturing a wight). They arrive at Eastwatch, see a battle between the AoD and wildlings, the then retreat to Dragonstone again, convinced that the threat is real.

added: would make even better dramatic tension by having Jaime trying to convince Cersei and she refusing...

3 minutes ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

Btw, following up the post above... wouldn't be much better writing if Jaime was captured after the battle... (no Aquaman Lannister), brought to Dragonstone, then John would convince Danerys to go to Eastwatch with him (and Jaime) to see the AoD? (without the stupid idea of capturing a wight). They arrive at Eastwatch, see a battle between the AoD and wildlings, the then retreat to Dragonstone again, convinced that the threat is real.

added: would make even better dramatic tension by having Jaime trying to convince Cersei and she refusing...

I think Dany would burn Jaime alive, if he fell into her hands.

after all this talk of alliances and allies, you would think that Ed Sheeran and his band of Lannister soldiers would have discovered the massacre that took place at the Twins (or was it Riverrun?  or does it matter?).

does no one care?  shouldn't Cersei and Jaime have at least discussed the fact that one of their allies in a geographically dominant location has been erased from the map?  unlike with every other "castle conquest" they've shown us, Arya actually did destroy EVERYONE in the Frey family.  unlike the Dornish, Tyrells and [good] Greyjoys, i suppose the Freys wouldn't evaporate into thin air when the Lord/Leader of their faction is murdered.  

and wouldn't that raise some suspicion with the surviving Lannister loyalists?  here we have an entire family murdered; a family that according to MANY people, was guilty of the greatest crime in the eyes of Gods and Men, the betrayal of Guests' Right.  is it merely a coincidence to the Lannister faithful that their ally in perpetrating the most heinous crime in recent memory all were murdered in a single evening?

its just dumb.  we have time to here Dany prattle on about her beautiful children (note: they are savage killing machines that are NOT her children) but we can't spend 30 seconds with Cersei and Jaime acknowledging that one of their few remaining allies is just gone.  we have time to listen to Cersei discuss continuing loans and interest payments with a glorified bank teller instead of talking about how Winter came for the perpetrators of the Red Wedding.

i suppose that in a world where armies can teleport across continents and fleets of (1,000?) ships can sail around that same continent in a weekend, the geographical advantages of the Twins mean a whole lot less.  

42 minutes ago, Denam_Pavel said:

If it applied to Margeary it is technically correct (at least from the perspective of someone that doesn't believe the incest rumors, which does not include Tyrion, who know Margeary is no more rightful queen by marrying Tommen then he is). If Tyrion had said "you follow the rightful queen that murdered a queen." he would be just as technically correct. Which kind of makes it a meaningless sentence. To me the sentence implies that the latter is the queen he ought to have been following as opposed the latter. But where is that coming from? 

In show Margeary and Cersei do actually adress this point in conversation. The mother of the King is still called Queen Dowager. Now Margeary had the king's ear, has more sway with the Tyrells forces in the capital, popularity of the masses and all that good stuff but to actually be the only and only queen in the eyes of the law, Cersei would need to be dead or actively stripped of her land and titles in some way.  Just the act of marrying Tommen does not accomplish this.

My biggest petpeeve is Tyrion telling Tarly that he betrayed their real queen. The Tyrells were never their kings or queens, not before, during or after the Targaryans and the Baratheons had their time in the sun. And even if they did, Olenna isn't a Tyrell.

This is your original statement. The real queen was Margeary. End of discussion. 

23 hours ago, Rhodan said:

I got a good laugh when Benioff, i think, recently said in interview, that unlike Martin, he and Weiss had to be "architects". That sounds sounds good in theory, but in practice their architecture is so hastily and flimsily done that Angry Birds could crush it.

That's a joke right? They actually consider themselves architects? Of the story I'm assuming? I guess I could see that if they stack a cinder block on a sphere then put 2x4 on top of that then put 50lbs on one side of it and a feather on the other and then tell people how strong of a building they have and it could withstand hurricane winds. Their "story" holds up as well as that structure would.

22 hours ago, Banjo said:

1) The mess which was Jamie/Bronn escaping and then Tyrion/Davos coming to King's landing to meet them.

So Jamie charges Dany and her dragon and at the last minute is saved by Bronn. Then Bronn manages to save a drowning Jamie despite his armor. And Bronn is able to swim with Jamie to a safe enough place despite his armor. And this while both of them went into the river right in front of Dany and the dothraki who could easily make out who Jamie was based on his armor and hence recognize his importance.

Then Davos/Tyrion hatch a plan to meet Jamie so that they can talk about their plans of capturing a wight and show it to Cersei. Tyrion somehow communicates with Bronn, Davos smuggles him and he manages to do so in the most convoluted manner ever. 

You know what would have avoided all the mess? Jamie being captured by Dany. Tyrion convincing her that he would be better of as a messenger to Cersei and can convey their plan to her. Simple and more plausible

2) They talk about Davos smuggling Tyrion to king's landing.

Davos was a great smuggler but how familiar is he with king's landing? You know who is an expert of secret passages in King's landing? Varys. And he was standing right there. 

It's amazing how such simple (and obvious) details/changes to the writing could have it make sense and be coherent. 

On 8/13/2017 at 10:47 PM, Raksha 2014 said:

And why is Arya angry that Sansa is sleeping in the rather spartan looking, though large, bedchamber of Lord Stark?  Would she rather Sansa sleep in the stables?  Sansa is the Lady of Winterfell, she should not be dressing in burlap, if "nice things" means she's wearing furs or sleeping under them, I don't see the problem.  Sansa might well have sown her own dress; and she sowed a lordly cloak for Jon to wear.  She had a far more glitzy wardrobe in King's Landing and doesn't seem to miss it.

Yeah, this made me hate Arya. Have they not talked at all? She's been through horrors and we've clearly come to see that Sansa's priorities have drastically changed. A reasonably nice bedroom isn't going to change that, and Jon insisted that she have that bedroom. It also confirms her status as the Lady of Winterfell, even though Jon lives there too (presumably he would build his own keep someday as KiTN). 

7 minutes ago, That Westeros Dude said:

My biggest petpeeve is Tyrion telling Tarly that he betrayed their real queen. The Tyrells were never their kings or queens, not before, during or after the Targaryans and the Baratheons had their time in the sun. And even if they did, Olenna isn't a Tyrell.

This is your original statement. The real queen was Margeary. End of discussion. 

my understanding is that the Tarly's betrayed their real queen (Margaery Tyrell) when they threw in with her murderer (Cersei).

On 8/14/2017 at 0:39 AM, Lord Varys said:

Other thing:

Cersei knows that Bronn betrayed her. Cersei threatens Jaime to never betray her again (which he didn't, since he actually told her about his talk with Tyrion).

Why on earth does Bronn, this piece of shit, still live. He openly said he wouldn't fight against the dragons. That is treason in addition to the whole Tyrion thing. The Cersei we have in the show would kill him for either of those offenses. But she doesn't do this because they want to keep the actor around.

Which is funny because Bronn's actor is Lena Headey's ex, she hates him IRL, and it's stipulated in her contract that they won't work together. 

30 minutes ago, That Westeros Dude said:

I remember. I argued against this idea as well because it doesn't make sense. Margeary did not have a claim to be the "rightful" queen over Cersei by virtue of marrying Tommen and the show itself established this in conversation between Margeary and Cersei. 

In the warped show logic, Olenna rules the Reach all by herself and it invents terms like a hereditary "Wardeness of the North" position. Cersei and Olenna were both ruling on the grounds of being mothers and wifes of dead people without any hope of this continuing the bloodline in anyway at the time that Tarly made his choice so I felt it plausible Tyrion was referring to Tarly's loyalty to the Reach first in a hamfisted way.

On 8/14/2017 at 2:02 AM, Rhodan said:

Very minor continuity point, but.... Jon hugely exclaims how he thought that Bran is dead... Yet few episodes earlier he confirmed to Dany he lost two brothers.

Isn´t it adorable how Sam, annoyed by the shit montage as we were, punished for ... curing the greyscale...realizes that screenwriters don´t know what else to do with Citadel (except for his three tasks) and comes to the same conclusion about maesters as Randyll (RIP)? Father knows best, I guess.

I HATED that. They used the line in the books that his father used while tormenting him. The citadel is the place for scholarship and history in this story, things GRRM obviously has great respect for, and while academic institutions can become stale and bureaucratic, the idea that maesters AS A WHOLE live useless lives disrespects their service. Not everyone has to run around smashing ice zombies with giant hammers. Think of Maester Aemon, Sam!!

40 minutes ago, LokisRaider said:

It's amazing how such simple (and obvious) details/changes to the writing could have it make sense and be coherent. 

Yes!! This is why I have been saying like a broken record... any highschool fan fiction writer that cared about making something plausible in respect to fans and the work or Martin could have done a better job. The writers of the show are certainly very capable people, but the fact that amateurs can imagine better executions of storylines in 5 minutes, just tells me that it is sloppiness and lazyness (i.e. I already got my money, made this series a sucess.. let me focus now in my future projects.... )

7 minutes ago, Denam_Pavel said:

I remember. I argued against this idea as well because it doesn't make sense. Margeary did not have a claim to be the "rightful" queen over Cersei by virtue of marrying Tommen and the show itself established this in conversation between Margeary and Cersei. 

In the warped show logic, Olenna rules the Reach all by herself and it invents terms like a hereditary "Wardeness of the North" position. Cersei and Olenna were both ruling on the grounds of being mothers and wifes of dead people without any hope of this continuing the bloodline in anyway at the time that Tarly made his choice so I felt it plausible Tyrion was referring to Tarly's loyalty to the Reach first in a hamfisted way.

Lord... Margeary WAS the queen. Cersei was NOT. Tommen was a KING. I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand. Cersei was still a nobel with connections but she was NOT a queen. It went like this.

Queen Cersei, while Robert was Alive... Queen Regent while Joffrey was prepping to be King.... KING Joff, marries Margeary who becomes Queen... Same Day she looses her Queenship as Joff is killed. Cersei becomes queen Regent again in prep for the next heir, Tommen. Once Tommen becomes King, Cersei, is not Queen Regent anymore. Tommen marries Margeary, and She is QUEEN again.

Cersei Killed the queen therefore Tarly WAS serving the murderer of his queen. A Queen he was allied with.

47 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Good article, I loved the ending line...........of the greater purpose of which Beric spoke being only what it is the show writers need to happen. 

1 hour ago, iprayiam said:

Best example: Jamie's magic river ride was not due to lack of source material. It was due to incompetence at logic, constancy, and storytelling.

Okay, but when it comes to stuff like this, does it really matter that their magic river ride was unrealistic?

What matter is what happens the characters. Would you rather Jaime died? More people would moan about his death because that's a big plot point, than some easy ride D&D made to save him.

I don't get why people get so caught up on these 'unrealistic' moments. It happens in all tv shows, all movies, all books, all pieces of fiction. They aren't that important.

Every writer ever has done saved a character that really should have died. It doesn't make D&D any worse than anyone else, it just makes them the same as everyone else.

Archived