[Poll] How would you rate episode 705?

Ran

How would you rate episode 705?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

43 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

This is possibly one of the lowest ratings I've ever given. In fact I only recall giving a 4/10 to one episode before. 

This was a pathetic excuse for a game of thrones episode. 

I can barely scrape together enough redeeming aspecta for a 4. 

I liked Jon petting Drogon because I'm cheesy. And I liked Arya calling Sansa out on being a conceited, powerhungry, selfish shit with superiority complex. And it was nice to see Sansa call Arya out on how her idea of solving problems is killing people. And I liked Randyll Tarly and Dickon being the best people in the entire show for their last 5 minutes in the world. 

Everything else sucked. 

Swhy were the Tarly guys the best ppl in the show?

Here we go:

- Bronn saves Jaime - again, Bronn shows superhuman strength defying laws of physics and pulling a fully armoured man out of a powerful river with currents and all. Kudos to Bronn. Down with science! -1

- Field of ashes, Daenerys executes the Tarlies - the whole scene is constructed so that we would rethink Mad King's decisions and rethink history as we know it. But, I do not think the audience will do that. Plus, I just waited for the Tarlies to die so that Sam can inherit the house. It was clear from the second he stole his ancestral sword. Plus, nonsensically, his father never tried to retrieve it. Not even when going to war. Another D&D child of nonsense and predictibility. -1

- Jaime in KL - I am glad to know that LF's teleporting machine is working well this season. D&D's love for Cersei knows no bounds. So, Jaime did convince Cersei Olenna was behind Joff's death? That proves once again that she is more or less sane. Who is this woman? Not the Cersei we read about in the books, surely?! But, hey ... look at the quote below the post and everything becomes crystal clear. -1

- Jon Snow pets a dragon - finally, some valuable info creeps in. Drogon loves Jon! Is this because Daenerys is having a giant crush or is it maybe because Jon is Rhaegar's son? Perhaps both. Blood of the dragon calls a dragon. But, that being said, why Drogon? Why not Rhaegal? That would be more appropriate surely? Well, I don't want to call upon logic. It has been thrown out of the window long time ago. I enjoyed the scene and it is an important foreshadowing. +1

- Jorah returns - Emilia has founds her way back to acting this season. I liked the reunion. +1

- Bran sees army of the dead close to Eastwatch by the Sea - apart from great CGI, I wonder what is new there. Jon Snow fought them at Hardhome. They were pretty fast then, but somehow they are moving at snail's pace now. They obviously do not have access to LF's teleport everyone else has been using. However, CGI wins. +1

- Sam trying to reason with the maesters - we have all been there at least once in our careers. I feel for Sam. +1

- Varys and Tyrion musings about responsibility of those giving council - nicely placed after the Sam's scene. I will forget it was there just to give those two more screen time. +1

- "Trust a stranger" - apart from the double meaning of these words (Jon is dead, so he is a stranger), a good development of the theme from the previous two scenes. This Hill guy knows something about screenwriting. +1

- Arya sees through Sansa - I cannot say enough about how good this sequence is. It represents a logical (finally) development of two characters and their relationship from early childhood onwards. +2

- Tyrion meets Jaime - not developed enough to withstand any logic. Had Tyrion mentioned a moving hand Mormont sent to KL or anything that would appeal to Jaime's way of thinking, then yes. This way ... no. -1

- Davos finds Gendry - lovely including Davos joking about Gendry rowing. I see D&D are reading this forum. Now, they should just read the books 4&5. But, hey .. they don't need to. They skipped over them in two worst seasons so far. Anyway, I liked Gendry. I liked how he IS young Robert. I like how he forged a war-hammer. I liked how Hill develops both characters in one minute during the scene with goldcloaks on the beach. D&D should pay attention. No cock jokes there. No time wasting. Go, Hill! +1

- Jaime tells Cersei about meeting Tyrion - some Godfather never goes amiss (Fredo, do not betray me again!). Even poor Hill does not know what to do with a character that strayed so much from the original. Cersei pregnant again?! At that day and age? Wow! Nice effort, but 0

- Gendry meets Jon - Officially, sons of two best friends meet and are to fight together. Really, sons of arch-enemies meet and are to fight together. Poetic! And on higher level, Baratheons bend the knee to Targaryens once more. As it should be. We see Daenerys head over heels for Jon. But, we see her friendship and love for Jorah as well. Nice all around. +1

- Sam had enough - loving the psychology of this sequence. Sam is so enraged he misses the vital piece of intel for the first time in his life. But, he still has that book! So, Jon is legit. We all knew it. Now, we have it in writing so to speak. And he has his aunt-queen. The incest promoting society will be thankful for this episode all around. However, +1

- LF manipulates Arya - my favourite scene in the whole series so far. To those who forgot how clever and dangerous LF really is, it was a good reminder. +2

- The Last Hero - I tried to count, but could not count 12 people in this scene. Nevertheless, it is what it is. I loved how all sorts of misfits come together in the end. All have a role to play. I just wish GRRM can take us there, instead of Hill. But, Hill is a vast improvement compared to D&D. So, keep up the good work and don't let these two in the writing room. They have better things to do being pompous somewhere else. +1

In total 10. I cannot believe it, but I got there. Thanks to Mr Hill.

Edited by Modesty Lannister
Typos

30 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

Swhy were the Tarly guys the best ppl in the show?

Because they were fierce and brave and semi-consistent and they stuck together and I liked them. Nobody has to agree they were the best people in the show, that's just what I thought. 

I gave it 5, which is one of my lowest ratings. Capturing a zombie and showing it to Cersie feels like a stupid excuse to get all of the actors in the one place. I knew it was coming because I read the spoilers but I was hoping it wasn't true - it's so dumb and contrived, to deliberately draw things out. It ruins any sense of urgency about the Walkers, Dany's conquest and dragons - the plot in general.

So Tryrion has given Dany 3 failed plans, she succeeds by going it alone and then listens to his plan 4. Fuck I hope this plan fails and Dany feeds Tyrion to a dragon. But seriously, why is Dany even listening to him? Why does she care about what Cersie thinks about the zombies? Why does it matter?

So Rhaegar and Lyanna were married. Again, why does it matter? Who gives a fuck? Certainly not Sam. And thinking of Sam, how does he have any idea what books and scrolls he stole? He took them from a room he'd never been into, in the dark?

What does the Night King want? What was the Long Night all about? What is the Red god? Sam probably can't work it out with the random shit he stole.

I'm venting because the plot has gotten silly and I know where it's going - fanservice central, nothing intelligent, deep or thought provoking for the rest of this season, perhaps this story.

Another set up but necessary chapter, 7.5

1. Drogan knows but Danny doesnt?  She doesnt ever react.  Has Drogon EVER LET anyone else touch him?  He certainly seems to have healed quickly also.  Dragonpower.

2. Gendry is back and has turned into Thor.  Davos does comedy relief.

3. Sam doesnt pick up on the most important fact of the episode that was even read outloud to him?

4. Dickon/Rickon dying needlessly.  WTF?  Just to make Sam head of house Tarly now that he has left the Citadel?

5. Sansa being called out by Arya for being the evil Queen wanna be or Sansa Deville.

6. Cercei pregnant again?  That girl never learns.  Guess this will be the one to kill her as in the prediction.

What did the scroll say that Arya found under Littlefingers bed?  What a clever and shrewd hiding place!  No one would ever look under there.  Gotta go move all my money to under mine now.

Edited by Ser Graymax

17 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Because they were fierce and brave and semi-consistent and they stuck together and I liked them. Nobody has to agree they were the best people in the show, that's just what I thought. 

Well, they chose an honorable death... Dany respected their choice... I do to because the stay true to their choices..

What I didn't like is that the sworn fealty to the Woman that extinguish house Tyrell, and helped to take Highgarden.. She named Randyll Lord of the Reach..(maybe I just dislike him because of his attitude with Sam)

5 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

Well, they chose an honorable death... Dany respected their choice... I do to because the stay true to their choices..

What I didn't like is that the sworn fealty to the Woman that extinguish house Tyrell, and helped to take Highgarden.. She named Randyll Lord of the Reach..(maybe I just dislike him because of his attitude with Sam)

Admittedly that makes no sense at all. But that made no sense a few episodes ago and this episode they were consistent with a bad choice they made earlier. So that's something, I guess? 

The sensible thing for Randyll to do would have been to join Olenna the moment the other Tyrells were gone, march to KL, remove Cersei and have Olenna name him successor as lord of the reach. There aren't any Tyrells left anyways. But no. Randyll sat and watched and then went to KL when Cersei summoned him... no sense. 

8/10. Loved the dialogue. Rational thinking by everyone as well. Fair and balanced writing. Well done. 

Used to to really enjoy these forums but the amount of ignorance, trolling, and blind hate has really made it impossible to visit here anymore. Actual discussion about the show is non-existent. Sad it's gotten to that point. 

17 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Admittedly that makes no sense at all. But that made no sense a few episodes ago and this episode they were consistent with a bad choice they made earlier. So that's something, I guess? 

The sensible thing for Randyll to do would have been to join Olenna the moment the other Tyrells were gone, march to KL, remove Cersei and have Olenna name him successor as lord of the reach. There aren't any Tyrells left anyways. But no. Randyll sat and watched and then went to KL when Cersei summoned him... no sense. 

Another thing that doesn't really make sense is that there aren't any other Tyrells except Ollena Redwhyne

51 minutes ago, Ser Graymax said:

1. Drogan knows but Danny doesnt?  She doesnt ever react.  Has Drogon EVER LET anyone else touch him?

What did the scroll say that Arya found under Littlefingers bed?  What a clever and shrewd hiding place!  No one would ever look under there.  Gotta go move all my money to under mine now.

- As far as I remember, Tyrion touched a dragon once.

- It says sth. about so. (Pa Stark?) being dead and the need to swear loyalty to Jeffrey, signed Sansa; a letter she wrote home back then. Lil Finger put it under the mattress because he wanted it found. Didn't you see him smile after Arya did as he expected her?

Edited by Ice C

A very meh episode, 6.

I have no complaints about there being no spectacle this week.  Unfortunately, without spectacle we a left with a fairly dull reminder of how great this episode would have been several years ago when the writers cared enough to give us meaningful scenes and characters.

So many of these scenes would have been good-great or at least entertaining in seasons 1-4.  The Council of Elrond meeting in the prison of Eastwatch should have been a potential scene of the year.  Several of our favorite characters meeting finally, some others with serious back stories to resolve.  Davos's common man good nature vs The Hound's common man cynicism. The Hound tearing apart Jorah's hypocritical self-righteous knight's honor (we may still get that, I hope). Gendry/Davos confronting the BWB about their betrayal of Gendry.   Instead, we got an ok scene that felt rushed and like we were being shoved onto a (hopefully great) ride by a tired teenage them park employee.

I made a joke about Sam finding the thumb drive with the R+L wedding video.  It was a joke...

D&D have such rabbit ears in regards to forums like this complaining about their show.  Davos's joke about Gendry still rowing has made that clear, if it wasn't already.  Checking off the boxes of dropped plot points with ham-handed writing continues.

WHY IS EVERYONE WEARING BLACK????

There was a woman with a Romulan haircut on the (brilliant, IMO) new comedy, The Guest Book, this week.  I kept waiting for her to put on a team Cersei shirt.  This show's crap has officially infected my brain.

On the good side, there is a chance LittleFinger actually has something meaningful to justify his staying in Winterfell and to do before his death!  White those scenes were (as has become the norm) written by a 12 year old, I enjoyed them.  With a little more subtlety, they would have been great.  LF still has some edge on Super Arya.  I guess it's dreaming that all his idiocy will unravel and become a (sensible) master stroke, but at least I have a glimmer of hope.

I enjoyed Bronn completely humiliating Larry.  This would have made no sense with the book characters, but it made sense with these versions, and I enjoyed it. 

So Cersei knew Tyrion was in the castle, but she didn't grab him?  After his meeting with Jaime if she wanted.  Please tell me how that fits with her character.

32 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

Another thing that doesn't really make sense is that there aren't any other Tyrells except Ollena Redwhyne

It's been established that Loras is the heir, so there isn't a Garlan or Willas in the show. There's Margaery's cousins Alana though who made fun of her for looking like a pig, married a handsome lord, had darling children and lives in a castle by the sea. Maybe she was a cousin from her mother's side. 

14 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

It's been established that Loras is the heir, so there isn't a Garlan or Willas in the show. There's Margaery's cousins Alana though who made fun of her for looking like a pig, married a handsome lord, had darling children and lives in a castle by the sea. Maybe she was a cousin from her mother's side. 

Yeah maybe she is..(she was the one I was thinking of).. In wiki she is referred as Allana Tyrell though..

I gave it a five but it could go up to a six possibly if some of these plot points pay off in the long run. There was set up and that was nice to see again. 

But they are going to capture a white walker and bring it back down? Come on. That's absurd.

I gave it an "8."

Nothing "bad" about it, but it was an episode to set up the final two, which is fine, and sometimes necessary.

I can't expect every episode to have huge battles and major plot developments, but I can't rate episodes that don't on the same level as episodes that do.

It's a strong season, though, far as I'm concerned (my grades for it are now 9, 9, 9, 10, and 8)

I enjoyed the forming of the Fellowship of the Undead, the Seven Companions on their way to getting the ring  zombie.  I particularly like how these characters have been written (cynic, philosopher, pragmatic among a few) and I look forward to their quest. On a very small note, I hated how Tarly reached for Dickon's hand when they were about to be roasted. He never showed Sam a bit of affection yet he reaches out to Dickon. Not going to miss them at all.  Sam will be a wise head of House Tarly. 

One thing I liked during this episode is the call backs to why each character has reason to dislike or know another.  On the beach, when Tyrion said ...last time I was here, I killed my father...and Davos replies to Tyrion that... you killed my son with wildfire.  Some posters call this fan service but it helps me to remember who hates/loves who from the past. 

Sansa and Arya have some vinegary words and I liked that Arya seemed to be able to puncture Sansa's ego.  I am just not sure that Arya is right about the conclusions she seems to be drawing.

I enjoyed the episode and cannot wait to see how the FELLOWSHIP  fares.

Edited by lakin1013

8 hours ago, I prefer summer said:

The pregnancy certainly complicates the theories about Jamie betraying her. Not sure there is anything she could do now to turn him against her, short of having conceived with someone else.

I assumed Davis brought Gendry back to make weapons out of the dragonglass. He seems kind of wasted on this particular mission.

Did show Maggi the Frog tell Cersei how many children she would have? My first thought was that Cersei was lying. 

1 hour ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Did show Maggi the Frog tell Cersei how many children she would have? My first thought was that Cersei was lying. 

Cersei's children

Cersei will outlast her children and die by the hands of "the valonqar".

Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.