Joshy

Littlefinger's Game

132 posts in this topic

I believe Littlefinger's ultimate game is to marry Sansa and politically maneuver her into a position of power for his own gain. To accomplish this, he seems to by trying to break apart House Stark from within. His every move appears to have the purpose of driving a wedge between the brothers and sisters.

First, there is the fact that he has obviously been manipulating the lords of the north in secret to plant doubts in their minds about Jon Snow. He wants them to declare Sansa the Queen in the North and has been whispering plots in their ears in private.

And then there is the note. Obviously, Littlefinger intended for Arya to find it, and I believe he intends to use it to drive a wedge between Arya and Sansa. If you recall, he grinned wickedly when he saw Sansa's reaction to Arya training with Brienne. I think he noticed a vulnerable point in the unity of House Stark in the form of a weak bond between the sisters. 

He is playing a dangerous game, and he is doing so from within a den of wolves, but he is still a political mastermind, and could very well be dangerous for House Stark if they don't stop him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so looking forward to the moment when that smug smile of his freezes forever... preferably, on a pike above the gate of Winterfell.

I wonder if Arya is clever enough to realize that she is being played right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Joshy said:

I believe Littlefinger's ultimate game is to marry Sansa and politically maneuver her into a position of power for his own gain. To accomplish this, he seems to by trying to break apart House Stark from within. His every move appears to have the purpose of driving a wedge between the brothers and sisters.

This has already been confirmed, he ultimate plan is him and her on the Iron Throne.

10 hours ago, Joshy said:

First, there is the fact that he has obviously been manipulating the lords of the north in secret to plant doubts in their minds about Jon Snow. He wants them to declare Sansa the Queen in the North and has been whispering plots in their ears in private.

And then there is the note. Obviously, Littlefinger intended for Arya to find it, and I believe he intends to use it to drive a wedge between Arya and Sansa. If you recall, he grinned wickedly when he saw Sansa's reaction to Arya training with Brienne. I think he noticed a vulnerable point in the unity of House Stark in the form of a weak bond between the sisters. 

He seens Arya and Sana's division here and hes playing on that to create more. It was quite clear that Sansa does feel threatened by Arya and has seen what she is capable of. Was the Arya/Brienne fight scene a way to show Sansa that Brienne cant protect her....? 

10 hours ago, Joshy said:

He is playing a dangerous game, and he is doing so from within a den of wolves, but he is still a political mastermind, and could very well be dangerous for House Stark if they don't stop him.

Im not  sure how Little finger could be a direct threat to the Starks, but I think you mean him playing his games could be. Other than turning the Starks on each other then he has nothing. He clearly wants Sansa. With only two episodes left I think Jon wont get back to Winterfell to stop whatever potentially could happen between Sansa and Arya etc. The only person I think can would be Bran and I believe he will provide the Information needed to have LF killed by Arya. Brans ''Chaos is a ladder'' was the foreshadowing of Bran would break his ladder and ultimately lead to his death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that the letter sent from Sansa (read as "Cercei") to Robb, when Petyr was present at the meeting? I remember that letter didn't contain Arya's name (at least in the book it was noted it didn't). 

So now LF tries to provide Arya with this great "proof" that her sister doesn't care about her and was forcing Robb to come to KL and bend the knee to Lannisters? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Bran has any interest in Littlefinger. Bran has much bigger issues to worry about than a politically grasper like Petyr Baelish. Unfortunately, Bran's inability to focus on his immediate surroundings may allow Littlefinger to split the Starks at a time when they need to be unified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Is that the letter sent from Sansa (read as "Cercei") to Robb, when Petyr was present at the meeting? I remember that letter didn't contain Arya's name (at least in the book it was noted it didn't). 

Yes he was present.

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

So now LF tries to provide Arya with this great "proof" that her sister doesn't care about her and was forcing Robb to come to KL and bend the knee to Lannisters? 

Pretty much in a nut shell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ygrain said:

I'm so looking forward to the moment when that smug smile of his freezes forever... preferably, on a pike above the gate of Winterfell.

I wonder if Arya is clever enough to realize that she is being played right now?

I guess the question in my mind is "Who is playing whom?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Illiterati said:

I guess the question in my mind is "Who is playing whom?"

Arya is definitely being played its that simple really. I think its a little bit too complicated etc to think Arya is playing at being played by LF. 

If she knew she was being played, why would her paranoia grow more and her attitude to Sansa would change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Arya is definitely being played its that simple really. I think its a little bit too complicated etc to think Arya is playing at being played by LF. 

If she knew she was being played, why would her paranoia grow more and her attitude to Sansa would change. 

I read that as part of their game.  They acted it out for the chambermaid's ear.  The chambermaid sold what she heard to LF.  I took everything as choreographed.  LF is going to be defeated at his own game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he didn't want the letter to be found he would have either burned it or kept it with him.  The only question is what will Arya do with the knowlege contained therein?  Will her actions be what LF expects, or will she do something...unexpected with it?I think he is playing her, and she will realize it and take a different path.

But then again, she is a Stark...and Starks historically like to make the wrong choices.  We'll see if she is truly different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

I read that as part of their game.  They acted it out for the chambermaid's ear.  The chambermaid sold what she heard to LF.  I took everything as choreographed.  LF is going to be defeated at his own game.

Oh damn.  Great theory with the chamber maid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

I read that as part of their game.  They acted it out for the chambermaid's ear.  The chambermaid sold what she heard to LF.  I took everything as choreographed.  LF is going to be defeated at his own game.

Yes! I have been thinking/hoping the same thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I am not sure Sansa is in on the sting, having thought about it more.  She did respond very emotionally.  This might be all Arya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DarkBastard said:

If he didn't want the letter to be found he would have either burned it or kept it with him.  The only question is what will Arya do with the knowlege contained therein?  Will her actions be what LF expects, or will she do something...unexpected with it?I think he is playing her, and she will realize it and take a different path.

But then again, she is a Stark...and Starks historically like to make the wrong choices.  We'll see if she is truly different.

To be clear, I think LF is gaming Arya.  He is just unaware that he is being played back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I think Arya is way out of her league when it comes to outsmarting Littlefinger. Arya is a survivor and as deadly as anyone in the world, but Littlefinger has been a master of court intrigue since long before Arya was ever born. Being a water dancer and assassin doesn't mean that she can out maneuver someone of Littlefinger's caliber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joshy said:

No, I think Arya is way out of her league when it comes to outsmarting Littlefinger. Arya is a survivor and as deadly as anyone in the world, but Littlefinger has been a master of court intrigue since long before Arya was ever born. Being a water dancer and assassin doesn't mean that she can out maneuver someone of Littlefinger's caliber.

Stay tuned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Is that the letter sent from Sansa (read as "Cercei") to Robb, when Petyr was present at the meeting? I remember that letter didn't contain Arya's name (at least in the book it was noted it didn't). 

So now LF tries to provide Arya with this great "proof" that her sister doesn't care about her and was forcing Robb to come to KL and bend the knee to Lannisters? 

 

I don't think so. My theory is that (under condition that we accept that the letter is a trap) LF, if asked about it, will say that he wanted to destroy the letter because it was showing Sansa in a bad light, as someone who betrayed her family, or because it was practically a fake letter and a reminder of Sansa being hostage in KL. So he wanted to destroy it for Sansa good, so that she won't be blamed for something that isn't true in the future.

 

3 hours ago, DarkBastard said:

If he didn't want the letter to be found he would have either burned it or kept it with him.  The only question is what will Arya do with the knowlege contained therein?  Will her actions be what LF expects, or will she do something...unexpected with it?I think he is playing her, and she will realize it and take a different path.

But then again, she is a Stark...and Starks historically like to make the wrong choices.  We'll see if she is truly different.

I don't think that there is anything to be done with it. All she can do is to say to Sansa that LF sneaks around WF (everybody knows this including Sansa) and that he took the only copy of this letter, however there is nothing important or revealing. Sansa will probably fight with Arya and will blame her for trying to make her and her advisor fall apart. See my reply above to The Sunland Lord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good summation of things- I agree.  LF is in a precarious position here and he knows it- his only "play" as it is is this.  To try and turn Sansa and Arya against each other with the end goal being to get rid of Arya- well I guess the real end goal is to get Sansa to rely on him more than ever.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:

 

I don't think so. My theory is that (under condition that we accept that the letter is a trap) LF, if asked about it, will say that he wanted to destroy the letter because it was showing Sansa in a bad light, as someone who betrayed her family, or because it was practically a fake letter and a reminder of Sansa being hostage in KL. So he wanted to destroy it for Sansa good, so that she won't be blamed for something that isn't true in the future.

 

I don't think that there is anything to be done with it. All she can do is to say to Sansa that LF sneaks around WF (everybody knows this including Sansa) and that he took the only copy of this letter, however there is nothing important or revealing. Sansa will probably fight with Arya and will blame her for trying to make her and her advisor fall apart. See my reply above to The Sunland Lord.

There's about five different directions it could go.  She could show it to Jon, or take it to the other northern Lords, show it to Bran to get his opinion, take it to Sansa, or confront Littlefinger directly.  

What does LF expect/desire?  Is he following his own advice, preparing for all eventuality?

No one knows.

(pun intended)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now