U.S. Politics: I Did Nazi That Coming

Manhole Eunuchsbane

18 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Thing is, while attempting appeasement Chamberlain was also working to rearm the military in case appeasement failed. For the most part I'm not seeing that kind of preparation from those arguing for rule of law.

What a ridiculously facile, and feeble, analogy.

Ok...

say the guy who mowed down the Charlottesville protesters with his car gets put on trial, convicted, and sent to prison.

At the same time, the organizers of that demonstration are mostly quiet about the guy, maybe an occasional lukewarm positive statement (which, if my hazy memory serves, has already happened.)

Then, said organizer takes a role in the Trump Administration, and gets the chance to whisper in Trumps ear a year or three down the road.

Trump, being Trump, grants the driver a full pardon. 

Fallout?  

9 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Ok...

say the guy who mowed down the Charlottesville protesters with his car gets put on trial, convicted, and sent to prison.

At the same time, the organizers of that demonstration are mostly quiet about the guy, maybe an occasional lukewarm positive statement (which, if my hazy memory serves, has already happened.)

Then, said organizer takes a role in the Trump Administration, and gets the chance to whisper in Trumps ear a year or three down the road.

Trump, being Trump, grants the driver a full pardon. 

Fallout?  

My first reaction is relief that years several Trump from now 'fallout' is still metaphorical.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Do you know what happens when your sole organizing tactic is a "Joyful Protest" away from where nazis are congregating and proselytizing, so as to not give them attention? They beat the shit out of random black people or anyone else vulnerable who meets their broad definition of subhuman, without consequence, or correction.

Part of the function of Antifa (and those using Black Bloc tactics) is to stand between the fash and their unarmed victims, taking the violence upon themselves, as noted by a Lutheran priest at Charlottesville who reported that Antifa individuals saved her and those around her from being beaten. 

The only reason the nazis are receiving widespread condemnation, lipservice though it may be, is because an attack was caught on video, with many witnesses, and that attack killed a white woman.

I deeply appreciate the SPLC but "ignore the trolls and they'll go away" has been tried and found wanting. They want to be a boot stomping on our faces forever. Fuck tolerance.

But it's not a binary choice of (1) ignore, or (2) beat the crap out of them and violate their rights. There are other options to actively oppose without making it a first strike race to the bottom. So the essence of that statement as part of the argument is disingenuous. Is the SPLC really saying that? What is the SPLC? Does the SPLC represent the views of all those who oppose Antifa's use of violence?

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

And if you think the 'we live in interesting times' knob is set near the top of the scale, then you will probably have to reconsider that situation before the year is out.  The knob goes higher.  Much higher.

/Why don't you just make 10 louder, and then that can be the top number and that will be louder...

//These go to 11!

///I have a feeling that Trump is an 11 sort of fellow 

/////And apologies to Nasty Longrider for stealing your reference. I saw it after I posted up the Tube.

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

This quote was mind boggling, so I went to look for some verification.  Looks like the original transcript of Trump's comments posted by Politico had your wording, but when the "us" wording blew up no one could verify that Trump said "us" after reviewing the audio.  Politico has retracted "us" and replaced it with [indiscernible] (see the correction note at the end of the transcript).

There's plenty of other evidence that Trump is a racist, but he hasn't publicly admitted yet that hes a racist, nazi or white supremacist.  Could still happen though.

Richard Spencers denies he's a nazi, yet all the rhetoric he spews is nazism which makes him a nazi. I'm not worried about labeling a pathological liar with a history of racist tendencies a white supremacists and nazi given his apologist garbage today and who he has in his administration and what some of them are doing or trying to do.

He is a racist, he is a white supremacist. He doesn't have to come out to say it for us to know he is. 

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

Thing is, while attempting appeasement Chamberlain was also working to rearm the military in case appeasement failed. For the most part I'm not seeing that kind of preparation from those arguing for rule of law.

Well I suppose you might be happy to find out that this is the first time in my 49 years that I'm seriously considering buying a firearm, and I used to live in the Tenderloin in S.F. 

So what do you think? Shotgun or handgun? 

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well I suppose you might be happy to find out that this is the first time in my 49 years that I'm seriously considering buying a firearem, and I used to live in the Tenderloin in S.F. 

So what do you think? Shotgun or handgun? 

America has some weird homeopathic checklists. I like you, so allow me to gesture vaguely towards any of the available data on what that purchase does to your actuarial odds.

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

America has some weird homeopathic checklists. I like you, so allow me to gesture vaguely towards any of the available data on what that purchase does to your actuarial odds.

Believe me, I'm well aware of them. I don't want one. I never have, so this compulsion is really pissing me off.

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Really? We've got a President actively engaged in nuclear escalation and you're dragging 'appeasement' out of the Completely Discredited Political Concepts closet alongside? The one that even fucking Kissinger admitted had significantly turned up the volume during the CMC, and was briefly resurfaced in the WMD lead-up to Iraq, to outstanding reviews?

I had no conscious choice. We are in a Godwin thread, chamberlain invocation is axiomatic from this first principle. You may as well be criticizing breathing as critique mere reflex. ;-)

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Gentlemen, set phasers to "Explosive Diarrhea" 

/Fuck it, I'm holding out for a Bowel Disruptor

Pretty sure at the right frequency sound can manage that. Play that frequency in the bits of Dunkirk that make your whole body vibrate long and loud enough and I imagine you will involuntarily poop your pants.

A sample of the letter Kathy Griffin was apparently being pressured to sign and send to Trump.

"Now with my world crumbling around me, I am listening for the first time about the great things you have done and are doing," the letter reads. "How stupid I was to follow the lies of the 'Left'. It took my terrible mistake to finally see the false news. 

"I compounded the lies by creating the ugly, disgusting and horrendous, unspeakable thing, thinking it was funny at your expense or [sic] not thinking of the hurt I have caused you and your family ... my stupidity is overwhelming. Thank you sir for hearing meh [sic] plea." 

Fascinating to think that someone genuinely believes that sort of letter would placate the President of the USA, or that a letter with that sort of wording is necessary to placate the President of the USA.

2 hours ago, Mudguard said:

This quote was mind boggling, so I went to look for some verification.  Looks like the original transcript of Trump's comments posted by Politico had your wording, but when the "us" wording blew up no one could verify that Trump said "us" after reviewing the audio.  Politico has retracted "us" and replaced it with [indiscernible] (see the correction note at the end of the transcript).

There's plenty of other evidence that Trump is a racist, but he hasn't publicly admitted yet that hes a racist, nazi or white supremacist.  Could still happen though.

if you haven't, worth checking out the actual video, not just the transcript. while he may not actually say the word "us", it really seems like he was about to.

2 hours ago, Mudguard said:

I just learned tonight that in 1927, Donald Trump's father was arrested when taking part in a KKK rally in New York.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/28/in-1927-donald-trumps-father-was-arrested-after-a-klan-riot-in-queens/?utm_term=.38afa085774b

3 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Doesn't matter. He's told us with his actions many times over. He was the face of the birther movement. He's employs bare-faced racists. He kowtows to a racist base in exchange for votes/approval. 

31 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I just learned tonight that in 1927, Donald Trump's father was arrested when taking part in a KKK rally in New York.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/28/in-1927-donald-trumps-father-was-arrested-after-a-klan-riot-in-queens/?utm_term=.38afa085774b

Now now, don't jump to conclusions.

We don't know Fred Trump was part of the Klan rally.

He might have been part of the fascist rally. ;)

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

I had no conscious choice. We are in a Godwin thread, chamberlain invocation is axiomatic from this first principle. You may as well be criticizing breathing as critique mere reflex. ;-)

Honestly, I've been snapping at everyone today, my gf even said she's never seen me like this. Problem with being a very chill happy guy is that when you actually get super-pissed you have no muscle memory for dealing with it. But Trump's pushed my buttons.

AFAIK no one ever fesses up to being racist, except when they actually realise they are racist and are determined to reform themselves and no longer be racist.

Of course one can also help the racist cause by following Taika Waititi's guide to helping racism:

Archived