U.S. Politics: I Did Nazi That Coming

Manhole Eunuchsbane

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The guy who hasn't managed to get a law passed yet? Not saying it isn't dangerous, but wake me up when he manages to pass some legislation. 

/And again, what do you think Saturday would've looked like without Rule of Law? 

how would it have looked without antifa demonstrators?

It doesn't add too much to the thread just to chime in about Trump's astounding idiocy, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

If there is one thing that Trump should understand it is that the electorate has a short attention span, he would never have gotten elected otherwise.  His statement on Sunday about Charlottesville, while notably late, was a pretty adequate condemnation of white supremacists groups.  So then WHY, for the love of God did he go off message at that press conference today.  All he had to do was tell the reporter that he had made a statement yesterday and that he was there to discuss infrastructure.  Give the 24/7 news cycle a few days to move onto the next thing.  Instead he goes completely off message and walks back the strong condemnation of the day before.  Sure, had he skirted the question some would complain that he didn't press Sunday's message home, but thats still a hell of a lot better than shooting himself in the foot.

I know Trump lacks discipline, but this was pretty astounding.  And it begs the question - why keep this (and his response to it) in the news?  Why extend the life of this story?  It's a strategically terrible move and makes it seem like he felt that his statement Sunday was too one-sided and he fears losing the vote of white supremacists.  Trump certainly lacks situational awareness, but this was so bad that it can't be just that.  He knows damn well those were Trump voters out there and just can't bring himself to condemn in no uncertain terms.  

Preaching to the choir around here, but man has Trump turned out to be even worse at this job than my extremely low expectations.  The last couple weeks have been absolutely terrible.  I shudder to even imagine what could befall this country in the next ~ 3 1/2 years under this guy's leadership.

On their Home page tonight-

Huffington Post is leading with a fantastic headliner "All The Presidents Men" with a striking photo of a mass mob of Nazis with torches in Charlottesville. All the Presidents men indeed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-charlottesville-statement_us_59935477e4b009141640ab00?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

32 minutes ago, S John said:

It doesn't add too much to the thread just to chime in about Trump's astounding idiocy, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

If there is one thing that Trump should understand it is that the electorate has a short attention span, he would never have gotten elected otherwise.  His statement on Sunday about Charlottesville, while notably late, was a pretty adequate condemnation of white supremacists groups.  So then WHY, for the love of God did he go off message at that press conference today.  All he had to do was tell the reporter that he had made a statement yesterday and that he was there to discuss infrastructure.  Give the 24/7 news cycle a few days to move onto the next thing.  Instead he goes completely off message and walks back the strong condemnation of the day before.  Sure, had he skirted the question some would complain that he didn't press Sunday's message home, but thats still a hell of a lot better than shooting himself in the foot.

I know Trump lacks discipline, but this was pretty astounding.  And it begs the question - why keep this (and his response to it) in the news?  Why extend the life of this story?  It's a strategically terrible move and makes it seem like he felt that his statement Sunday was too one-sided and he fears losing the vote of white supremacists.  Trump certainly lacks situational awareness, but this was so bad that it can't be just that.  He knows damn well those were Trump voters out there and just can't bring himself to condemn in no uncertain terms.  

Preaching to the choir around here, but man has Trump turned out to be even worse at this job than my extremely low expectations.  The last couple weeks have been absolutely terrible.  I shudder to even imagine what could befall this country in the next ~ 3 1/2 years under this guy's leadership.

https://mobile.twitter.com/evilsharkey/status/864548377660317696?lang=en[/img]

34 minutes ago, S John said:

Why did he do this?

Because he has no self-control. Because he hates being told what to do. And because he's a white supremacist and average Fox News viewer.

His initial reaction where he defended white supremacists and nazis was his honest one.

His Monday statements where the PR clean-up job he was forced at gun-point to read in the boring monotone voice as he reads directly off the teleprompter with no adlids that he always uses for such occasions.

His answers today were him exploding under the pressure of having to not say what he really thinks and so he came out and said what he really thinks about the situation. 

And what he really thinks is entirely informed by Fox News propaganda and his racism and bigotry.

58 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

All out of saccharine tonight. Sorry. Try back tomorrow? Might have some banality back here but I'll be damned if I can find it. 

lol, ok. take all the time you need to come up with whatever justification you can for equating the folks out there actually protecting people with the actual violent fascists. 

It is stunning that "The Orange Buffoon One"  somehow manages to make "Bush the Lesser" seem almost competent when you consider them side by side. I did not think that was even achievable, but such is the sorry state of the current Presidency, epic, historic, mind bending idioacy in action.

Well, now we we know the number. It's 1 in 4. At least to the degree that Monmouth can be trusted (they lean a bit more favorable towards Trump than the average). But the gist of it is right there. A fourth of USA is in the cult at this point. So that's more than half of the Republican party. This makes it incredibly unlikely that we won't see an escalation of violence here on out. And it makes it incredibly risky for the Republican party to turn against him. So yeah. Good luck to everyone,  it's gonna be an interesting end of the decade.

EDIT: It's going to be interesting to see how this affects the Bannon thing. So far he has walked back his first comments, then walked back the walkback by holding that insane presser. Firing Bannon now would be the ultimate in completely contradictory messaging.

You can see which parts of his base Trump is appealing to with this. 

But is he actually all that wrong in what he said? There are people to blame on all sides for this ( not equally I grant) , and not everyone marching was a nazi, and the media hasn't been entirely neutral in its reporting either.  

Clearly he needed to condemn the kkk and racist elements whilst still not alienating the right's concerns

2 hours ago, Shryke said:

Why did he do this?

Because he has no self-control. Because he hates being told what to do. And because he's a white supremacist and average Fox News viewer.

His initial reaction where he defended white supremacists and nazis was his honest one.

His Monday statements where the PR clean-up job he was forced at gun-point to read in the boring monotone voice as he reads directly off the teleprompter with no adlids that he always uses for such occasions.

His answers today were him exploding under the pressure of having to not say what he really thinks and so he came out and said what he really thinks about the situation. 

And what he really thinks is entirely informed by Fox News propaganda and his racism and bigotry.

Yup.  

8 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

But is he actually all that wrong in what he said? There are people to blame on all sides for this ( not equally I grant) , and not everyone marching was a nazi, and the media hasn't been entirely neutral in its reporting either.  

Clearly he needed to condemn the kkk and racist elements whilst still not alienating the right's concerns

Yes, he was wrong in what he said. There is only blame on one side here and everyone marching was a white supremacist or supporting white supremacy. The right has no valid concerns here.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

But is he actually all that wrong in what he said?

He's 100% wrong. If you come in from out of town to join a march and the dude next to you is chanting "The Jews wont replace us", and the dude to your immediate right is throwing up Nazi salutes than you are a fucking Nazi, and there is no room for you in a peaceful equal society. 

I urge everyone to watch this Vice video, as they had a reporter who was "embedded" with the Nazis on Saturday.

7 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I find myself strangely unconcerned with what Trump "needs."

In related news, is it really all that wrong to say that there were people to blame on both sides of WWII?  Not equally I grant, and not everyone associated with Hitler wanted to slaughter Jews and Romany, and the Allies did firebomb Dresden and the US interned Japanese Americans and went nuclear to end the Pacific campaign, and the British unwittingly exacerbated the Bengal Famine and Stalin was... Stalin... and, and and, and the allied media wasn't entirely neutral in its reporting on Nazis 80 years ago.

So to summarize WWII, really there were good and bad people on both sides.  Right?  Truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.

(In reference to Trump technically not being "all that wrong", not saying you had bad intent C4SJS).

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

He's 100% wrong. If you come in from out of town to join a march and the dude next to you is chanting "The Jews wont replace us", and the dude to your immediate right is throwing up Nazi salutes than you are a fucking Nazi, and there is no room for you in a peaceful equal society. 

I urge everyone to watch this Vice video, as they had a reporter who was "embedded" with the Nazis on Saturday.

Saw that last night. It enraged the hell out of me. Nazi filth ugh. 

A friend of mine was there. This is what he had to say about that bullshit about the left charging the right. 

"LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED. I stood with local and nonlocal counterprotesters on Market Street (south side of Emancipation Park, this being the site of the "Unite the Right" rally) in Charlottesville from 9:00am onward on Saturday, 12 AUG 2017. There was no violence until a column of roughly 200+ Nazis (and I call them so specifically because of the banners under which they marched and the symbols they wore) marched westbound on Market Street toward Emancipation Park around 11:00am and clashed with counterprotesters' lines. Counterprotesters were ONLY on Market Street. The Nazis could have entered Emancipation Park from literally any other direction and there would have been no fighting. They could have turned north and avoided counterprotesters entirely and entered the park that way But no, they marched with riot shields, clubs, helmets, tasers, pepper spray and NAZI FLAGS right into our lines and started swinging. Anyone tells you different is a LIAR. It could have been two groups yelling taunts at each other all day long. But that's not how they wanted it. Did some of the counterprotesters have shields and sticks, too? Yes. Maybe a dozen among the whole crowd. Because they knew the Nazis were bringing them, too. It's not reasonable to expect folks to go completely unarmed against the kind of force the Nazis announced they were bringing with them. But they were outnumbered and outgunned from start to finish. And they stood up to these Nazis anyway, like any decent American ought to."

loloops on Fox News' part:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/08/15/january_daily_caller_video_demonstrates_how_to_plow_through_protesters_with.html

What follows is one of the more disgusting and prominent examples of the trend: a 90-second video published by the Daily Caller, the conservative site founded by Tucker Carlson. The video, which the Daily Caller’s Mike Raust published on Jan. 28—the day that Donald Trump’s travel ban brought thousands of demonstrators to international airports—is set to a folksy cover of the 2001 Ludacris hit “Move Bitch."

In the text accompanying the video, Raust advised:

Here’s a compilation of liberal protesters getting pushed out of the way by cars and trucks. Study the technique; it may prove useful in the next four years.

The post earned 20,000 Facebook likes and was subsequently reposted by Fox Nation, the aggregator section of Fox News. It’s another reminder that running through crowds of protesters has been a popular joke—and then some—even on mainstream provinces of the American right since long before Charlottesville.

Update, 3:34 p.m.: That was fast—Fox Nation has already taken down its post. The Internet Archive, of course, has captured it for posterity

"We totally think it's ok to kill protestors with your car. That is, until it becomes a PR problem for us to say that, then we pretend we didn't."

20 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

Saw that last night. It enraged the hell out of me. Nazi filth ugh. 

A friend of mine was there. This is what he had to say about that bullshit about the left charging the right. 

"LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED. I stood with local and nonlocal counterprotesters on Market Street (south side of Emancipation Park, this being the site of the "Unite the Right" rally) in Charlottesville from 9:00am onward on Saturday, 12 AUG 2017. There was no violence until a column of roughly 200+ Nazis (and I call them so specifically because of the banners under which they marched and the symbols they wore) marched westbound on Market Street toward Emancipation Park around 11:00am and clashed with counterprotesters' lines. Counterprotesters were ONLY on Market Street. The Nazis could have entered Emancipation Park from literally any other direction and there would have been no fighting. They could have turned north and avoided counterprotesters entirely and entered the park that way But no, they marched with riot shields, clubs, helmets, tasers, pepper spray and NAZI FLAGS right into our lines and started swinging. Anyone tells you different is a LIAR. It could have been two groups yelling taunts at each other all day long. But that's not how they wanted it. Did some of the counterprotesters have shields and sticks, too? Yes. Maybe a dozen among the whole crowd. Because they knew the Nazis were bringing them, too. It's not reasonable to expect folks to go completely unarmed against the kind of force the Nazis announced they were bringing with them. But they were outnumbered and outgunned from start to finish. And they stood up to these Nazis anyway, like any decent American ought to."

Can I quote your friend's quote elsewhere on the webs? 

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Taking down the statue of Robert E. Lee is a valid debate to have. Personally I don't see any correlation between Robert E. Lee and Thomas Jefferson / George Washington, as while the latter did indeed own slaves, they at least acknowledged the institution of slavery was wrong and should be destroyed, whereas Robert E. Lee actively defended the institution of slavery. That said, I can understand people having an issue with taking the statue down, even if I don't agree with them.

However, all that aside, there were no "very fine people" taking part in the white nationalist / kkk rallies the other day, there was no one who was "innocently protesting" the taking down of the statue. It was abundantly clear from the images and footage what the nature of their ideology was, and to equate them with violence from anti-fascist protesters is a massive insult, especially coming from the leader of the free world, and especially in the wake of an innocent woman having been killed by one of these racist fascists. They should be receiving no sympathy and no apology whatsoever, least of all from the President.

Add to that the fact that virtually everyone else in the government and congress condemned these rallies, yet Trump could not bring himself to do it, except via teleprompter in a blatantly scripted speech. If he wanted to bring up legitimate concerns on the right, he could have given himself room to do that by first vigorously condemning the KKK and white nationalist protesters, but he's clearly just too callous and stupid to have done that.

But the worst part, the thing that really angers everyone about this, is that of all the issues to take a nuanced view towards, of all the issues where it's possible to see two sides to the story, he picks this one. THIS particular event, is the only event where he's willing to hold back on outright criticism. On everything else, he'll viciously attack anyone and everyone on the drop of a hat, but when it comes to white nationalist and KKK rallies, suddenly there's "violence on both sides", suddenly there's "blame on both sides".

White nationalists, and Putin; the only two groups that Trump is reluctant to condemn outright. Then again, it shouldn't be surprising, as he is a spineless, morally bankrupt and pathetic excuse for a leader.

Archived