U.S. Politics: I Did Nazi That Coming

Manhole Eunuchsbane

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nor do I, but for the first time in modern American history, and maybe in the entirety of U.S. history, it's actually something that is possible.

And the correct answer is Mattis

Yeah, probably Mattis.

Speaking of the cabinet, what are the odds Trump is even aware that McConnell's wife is part of it? I'm not saying Elaine Chao is up to anything; but she has to be considered a sleeper bet for really fucking over Trump in some way.

Oh and by the way,

No, nothing is happening (yet). But it sure is nice to think about.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nor do I, but for the first time in modern American history, and maybe in the entirety of U.S. history, it's actually something that is possible.

And the correct answer is Mattis

I think Mattis would resign way before it got bad enough to justify such action.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Speaking of the cabinet, what are the odds Trump is even aware that McConnell's wife is part of it? I'm not saying Elaine Chao is up to anything; but she has to be considered a sleeper bet for really fucking over Trump in some way.

Poor woman had to stand there while Trump did his whole "so you think you've seen meltdown and crazy, I'll so ya meltdown and crazy!" yesterday.  See what she said afterwards?  "I stand by my man - both of them."

16 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Ha.  I understand completely why you'd prefer to dodge those questions.  The date of the article has no bearing on the substance of the arguments being presented..

Time will tell which of us is correct I guess.  This isn't the 'confederate statue' thread, so I see no reason why a new thread would be required.

Of course the date has bearing on the substance of the article when the argument presented is that over time the issue will get worse.  Time has passed, nobody is talking about this, it isn't a thing, so what has been presented has been shown to be wrong.

10 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Poor woman had to stand there while Trump did his whole "so you think you've seen meltdown and crazy, I'll so ya meltdown and crazy!" yesterday.  See what she said afterwards?  "I stand by my man - both of them."

That's a terrifying mental image.

33 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Good luck! Netanyahu's son announced that Black Live Matter is far worse than neo nazis:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu-junior-says-leftists-more-dangerous-than-neo-nazis/

http://jewishjournal.com/news/israel/223133/netanyahus-son-says-neo-nazis-dying-us-leftist-thugs-becoming-dominant/

Yet those dying out nazis stood at a Charlotteville synagogue during Sabbath services (Saturday) fully armed:

http://www.newsweek.com/charlottesville-police-refused-protect-synagogue-nazis-so-it-hired-armed-651260

http://reformjudaism.org/blog/2017/08/14/charlottesville-local-jewish-community-presses

Yah, you betcha that Black Lives Matter is just the same and worse than nazis.  Nobody's heard of anything remotely like this coming out of the left, antifa, Black Lives Matter, etc., targeted against anybody.

That's absolutely insane, given the source. 

3 hours ago, Shryke said:

It's important to remember that most of the Confederate Statuary was erected well after the Civil War had ended and was entirely about white supremacy. The first major wave of them hits around the time Jim Crow laws are getting put into place. The second around the time the Civil Rights Act is getting passed. Many of them are placed in black neighborhoods. None of this is coincidental.

Here's the SPLC on the issue:

https://www.splcenter.org/20160421/whose-heritage-public-symbols-confederacy

There's a great graph in there:

https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/timeline-whoseheritage.png

You really want to see what it's about, look at the surge in schools being named for Confederates right after Brown v Board.

These statues and monuments and such are literally just attempts by white supremacist state and local governments to keep their local black population in their place. To remind them they are subhuman.

Yup. It was done as a form of psychological warfare aimed at people of color. They're  also pushing revisionist bullshit about how they were honorable rebels just fighting for states rights burn completely omitting the states rights to keep slavery legal if they saw fit.

This Nazi asshole, Chris Cantwell, was interviewed a lot in that vice coverage. He also was cheering on Heather Heyers death using it to try and talk tough by saying don't mess with them since they put someone in the morgue. Now he's showing he still the fragile jackass we all know bigots are, and he's a weepy one to boot.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/im-terrified-neo-nazi-blubbers-like-a-baby-in-video-reporting-hes-wanted-for-arrest-in-charlottesville/

Something that's endlessly fascinating to me is how every politician innately knows that a display of remorse, maybe even an apology and a symbolic act of penitence can go a long way to repair your fuckups in the eyes of the public. Like when Gianforte signed up for anger management (which he never participated in, AFAIK). It's ridiculously easy to go on camera, bow your head and admit you did something wrong in order to repair your image a bit.

But not Trump. That tool is simply, literally unavailable to him. The second statement he screwed up on Monday was probably the closest his brain could ever allow him to get to admitting a mistake. I mean, imagine Trump standing in front of a press corps and saying the words "I did wrong" or "I'm sorry". It's like imagining your dog whistling Tubular Bells.

It's interesting because his complete lack of that option kinda traps him in a downwards spiral where he can only alienate more people and never repair any damage with anyone. And we should probably be really thankful for that.

16 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Ok...

say the guy who mowed down the Charlottesville protesters with his car gets put on trial, convicted, and sent to prison.

Well, it looks like he will be convicted, but alas I thought the same thing about the Bundys in Oregon. So I reserve judgement on that account until he really is convicted.

1 hour ago, Swordfish said:

Ha.  I understand completely why you'd prefer to dodge those questions.  The date of the article has no bearing on the substance of the arguments being presented..

Time will tell which of us is correct I guess.  This isn't the 'confederate statue' thread, so I see no reason why a new thread would be required.

Time has already told dude.

This is just a pathetic attempt at deflection. The standard right-wing "But look at what some college student is saying!". YAWN!

43 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's absolutely insane, given the source. 

Why are you surprised, considering who Natanyahu is (indicted for corruption, as, hopefully, one of these days will be the orange) and who Jared's f-i-la is -- o yah, the same orange under investigation for all sorts of crimes, someone who father was arrested while participating in a KKK rally, and who has consistently expressed in every bully pulpit his racist and sexist convictions.

The other night a Jewish heritage friend observed that he couldn't remotely ever under any circumstances having married into a family whose paterfamilias believed the shyte that the orange does -- and he's not even religiously observant, unlike Jared.

2 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Time has already told dude.

This is just a pathetic attempt at deflection. The standard right-wing "But look at what some college student is saying!". YAWN!

To be fair, this was kind of indirectly brought up in the Vox video that everyone has been posting. I think it was a BLM figurehead that was interviewed in that video who was talking about growing up in Charlottesville and living in the shadow of Monticello, with the slave master looking over us. It's not like this narrative has never been forwarded. 

41 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Something that's endlessly fascinating to me is how every politician innately knows that a display of remorse, maybe even an apology and a symbolic act of penitence can go a long way to repair your fuckups in the eyes of the public. Like when Gianforte signed up for anger management (which he never participated in, AFAIK). It's ridiculously easy to go on camera, bow your head and admit you did something wrong in order to repair your image a bit.

But not Trump. That tool is simply, literally unavailable to him. The second statement he screwed up on Monday was probably the closest his brain could ever allow him to get to admitting a mistake. I mean, imagine Trump standing in front of a press corps and saying the words "I did wrong" or "I'm sorry". It's like imagining your dog whistling Tubular Bells.

It's interesting because his complete lack of that option kinda traps him in a downwards spiral where he can only alienate more people and never repair any damage with anyone. And we should probably be really thankful for that.

Totally agree, but you forgot one thing. It's not just that Trump can't apologize. It's that he doubles down on his mistakes when he should be apologizing.

47 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

The closest thing we've ever gotten to a DT apology is the Access Hollywood tapes.  There he went so far as to say " I said it, I was wrong, and I'm sorry."  But of course he then undermined that apology by saying Bill Clinton was way worse, the Clintons were terrible and we should start talking about the Clinton scandals which the media has ignored. 

Do people actually believe that taking down these Confederate statues will solve the race problem in the USA? I do not.

The mayor of Baltimore had four taken down over night --- seems she don’t want riots and protests in her city.

Instead of taking your Labor Day beach visit --- travel to Farmville, Virginia. Originally named Bizarre, VA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/travel/2000/11/26/a-house-called-bizarre/4ea73982-5c3c-4599-9086-ea209464a666/?utm_term=.eca32ccfbd01

Farmville, Virginia the home of Longwood University and the outlying Hamden Sydney College.

http://www.blackpast.org/aah/moton-robert-r-1867-1940

Let us not forget that “whites – crackers” and Jewish people protested in the civil rights movement.

Speaking merely of Virginia, do the people of Virginia now remove the slave markets like the one in Richmond, that have been turned into monuments?

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/02/americas-failure-to-preserve-historic-slave-markets/385367/

People have strong opinions. People jump on causes. People buy into the media frenzy.

There was a big problem at Charlottesville, the home of Thomas Jefferson. Do we now desecrate Monticello like some wannabe whoever desecrated the Lincoln Memorial?

Take down all the statues. Even William Wallace aka Braveheart.

https://explore.baltimoreheritage.org/items/show/346

Obama (bi-racial) was correct in his tweet that hate is learned. I’ll take it a step further --- bigotry is the intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. Who among us is not a bigot.

2 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Do people actually believe that taking down these Confederate statues will solve the race problem in the USA? I do not.

It will help things. Why do you want to have statues commemorating traitors to the US who fought to keep slaves? 

Speaking merely of Virginia, do the people of Virginia now remove the slave markets like the one in Richmond, that have been turned into monuments?

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/02/americas-failure-to-preserve-historic-slave-markets/385367/

Probably not, given that they aren't cherishing the things or espousing their virtue. Why do you want to have monuments commemorating traitors to the US?

There was a big problem at Charlottesville, the home of Thomas Jefferson. Do we now desecrate Monticello like some wannabe whoever desecrated the Lincoln Memorial?

Probably not, but there aren't a whole lot of people calling for that. If you want that, make a case for it. For instance, you could explain why you want to commemorate and cherish traitors to the US. 

Obama (bi-racial) was correct in his tweet that hate is learned. I’ll take it a step further --- bigotry is the intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. Who among us is not a bigot.

That isn't what bigotry is. 

Archived