Can we officially call Rhaegar a jerk now?

purple-eyes

His wife was loyal and dutiful to him. She gave him two children although she is always sickly and fragile. But Rhaegar humiliated her for Lyanna in front of the realm. 

And to make it more cruel, shortly after she almost died giving birth to his son, Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna, annuled his marriage with her secretly (turned their two children into bastards) and disappeared for almost one year. He also took his first son's name Aegon and gave it to his new child with Lyanna since Aegon is a name for future king, not a bastard Waters boy.  As if the first little Aegon has never existed. Baby Aegon, first son of Rhaegar, a one year old boy, will be soon forgotten by everyone, because the only Aegon Targaryen who mattered and beloved is Jon Snow. The first Aegon is just a smashed bloody mess whom nobody cared. 

Did Elia and her brothers know her marriage was annuled before she died? 

We do not know.

But she and her children were abandoned by her ex-husband in DS to the mercy of Mad king, then were kept as hostage before they were brutally murdered. 

10000 Dornish army were sent to help Rhaegar still. Elia's uncle Prince Lewyn died fighting for Rhaegar. At the mean time his niece was already divorced by Rhaegar. 

I understand many people are so overjoyed to see Jon Snow is the rightful heir. They do not care what is the back story, only thing matters is that Jon Snow is legit and has a better claim to throne. Sure, he is Aragorn of Westeros, how come he be a bastard? 

But I wish Rhaegar good luck when he met Elia, Oberyn, Rhaenys waters and his nameless bastard baby son in wherever they go after death. 

Rhaegar and Lyanna had a great shinning love, yet somebody else paid for it with their lives. 

Yeah, this seems really shitty for Rhaegar and not something he'd do. Polygamous marriage, yes, but not annul one marriage and make his elder children bastards. What would the grounds be? 

And yeah, giving Jon the name Aegon is shitty. Really shitty. I'm still hoping for Aemon. 

11 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

Well if Jon had to be legit, polygamy would be a better way... But they never introduced it in the show so I don't know..

but how exactly Gilly just found this information..idk

If the show is similar to book 6-7, then having the annulment makes sense, since we still have FAegon? to deal with in the novels.

Spoiler

I find it interesting that the leaked plot for Season 7 shows that Jon's real name is Aegon, which could be alluding to the Aegon character in the books.

If this is true, that would suggest that Aegon Targaryen (Rhaegar's son) is actually his son.

1 minute ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

If the show is similar to book 6-7, then having the annulment makes sense, since we still have FAegon? to deal with in the novels. I find it interesting that the leaked plot for Season 7 shows that ...

Maybe put production leaks behind a spoiler tag. 

Thanks. 

I liked the idea Rhaegar and Lyanna being for the first time in their lives in love and happy (Rhaegar surely wasn't happy all his live and he surely wasn't happy in his marriage, since he didn't love Elia and it seems everybody knew that), but that's just idiotic!!! I would easily accept Jon being just a bastard (because it really doesn't matter for his character) or even polygamy (with a grain of salt and dislike, though), but this is just idiotic! If that is what will  happen in the books, I hope he legitimized Rhaenys and Aegon, if this is even possible. I hope this is not what GRRM has in his mind!

I don't think the annulment itself and remarrying makes him a jerk. we don't know the circumstances. I guess I am looking at it from todays standards where you aren't forced to stay in a loveless marriage. The jerk move I think comes with what happened afterwards, that Rhaegar didn't get involved earlier and try to stop the war to what happened to his family. Then again if Aerys held them hostage perhaps he tried to rescue them, ultimately it was the person who murdered them who are to be blamed for their deaths,

Perhaps going home to Dorne with her children would have been welcomes by Elia.

A part of me wants to believe Rhaegar wasn't just in a love nest with lyanna while westeros burned around him yet that seems to be the narrative

To be fair i dont think the annulment affected Aegon and Rhaenys status as heirs, they were conceived and birthed inside the marriage, he was obsessed with the prophecy of the ptwp and the dragon has three heads, he just wanted his third legitimate son i guess

Spoiler

Now what seems odd is that according to the leaks, his name its Aegon, wich its stupid since his firstborn son was named Aegon and was pretty much alive by the time Rhaegar departed for the trident, why name both of them the same? D&D doin it again...

23 minutes ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

If the show is similar to book 6-7, then having the annulment makes sense, since we still have FAegon? to deal with in the novels.

Hide contents

I find it interesting that the leaked plot for Season 7 shows that Jon's real name is Aegon, which could be alluding to the Aegon character in the books.

If this is true, that would suggest that Aegon Targaryen (Rhaegar's son) is actually his son.

The thing with Faegon if he is indeed fake is that I thought Daenerys would reveal that he is fake due to the Slayer of Lies passage with the vision of a cloth dragon..

Spoiler

Does the leak says that Rhaegar named Jon Aegon?

Rhaegar is a jerk and Lyanna is a home wrecker.

And what does it matter if Jon is a bastard or not? He made his peace with being Ned's bastard, I'm sure he could adjust to being Rhaegar's. And who cares about the Targ line of succession anymore? On top of all of this, if Ned knew R&L were married, he was a raging hypocrite for protecting the heir to a line he waged war against.

10 minutes ago, Ser Micaelys said:

I don't think the annulment itself and remarrying makes him a jerk. we don't know the circumstances. I guess I am looking at it from todays standards where you aren't forced to stay in a loveless marriage. The jerk move I think comes with what happened afterwards, that Rhaegar didn't get involved earlier and try to stop the war to what happened to his family. Then again if Aerys held them hostage perhaps he tried to rescue them, ultimately it was the person who murdered them who are to be blamed for their deaths,

Perhaps going home to Dorne with her children would have been welcomes by Elia.

A part of me wants to believe Rhaegar wasn't just in a love nest with lyanna while westeros burned around him yet that seems to be the narrative

yes, elia and her kids would be welcomed in dorne however they wouldnt take the divorce that easy considering it would be taken as an insult to house martell and dorne...polygamy, they would accept since they are quite open to 'love' stuff...

whether aerys held them hostage or not, he knew his father, he knew the consequences of his own actions...he left them unprotected while did his best to protect lyanna and an unborn baby...he was simply a jerk thats obsessed with a prophecy which makes him another mad person in my eyes 

22 minutes ago, VenezuelanLord said:

To be fair i dont think the annulment affected Aegon and Rhaenys status as heirs, they were conceived and birthed inside the marriage, he was obsessed with the prophecy of the ptwp and the dragon has three heads, he just wanted his third legitimate son i guess

Depends. The first two tries don't count when you're trying to forge Lightbringer.  

:)

1 hour ago, redtree said:

At this point he's more like Henry 8 rather than however Rhaegar's fan sees him.

Yes. The show has left out the bit about Rhaegar wanting one more kid for his prophecy and Elia being presumably unable to provide one for his health, which would make the Henry VIII comparison even stronger, since Henry VIII set aside his marriage because Anne Boleyn promised him a son.

1 hour ago, elder brother jonothor dar said:

Jaehaerys

the annulment is just there to make the plot less complicated the importance is Jon is the rightful king

I love how fans have been saying that Dany should supposedly STFU about being the rightful queen because Robert took the throne by force and that she's arrogant and entitled for thinking otherwise, but the moment it's revealed that Jon is Rhaegar's legitimate son, he's suddenly the rightful king. If Dany's claim doesn't entitle her to be queen of Westeros because Robert took the throne and kicked out the Targs, then neither does Jon's.

Archived