Who MUST Die, Who Might Die, Who Will Live?

Iron Mother

What characters do the writers have an obligation to kill off in the end?

What characters might find "redemption" and live who should actually die?

What characters will live at the end of the series?  Are there characters that MUST be alive in the end for story reasons?

There are ZERO characters who MUST be alive at end of series for story reasons. This story does not fall apart if any one character is dead at end of series. I don't care if that's Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sam, etc. 

The one character I feel the writers have an obligation to kill off in the end (for the tv show, not necessarily in books) is Cersei. Her surviving the series would be unforgivable and make all the other major character's stories seem pointless and/or the major plot ending completely ridiculous. There is no "redemption" for Cersei.

Nice question @Iron Mother, I believe Samwell Tarly, Sansa Stark, and Tyrion Lannister have the best odds of surviving the series.  There have to be some characters who are around at the end to tell the tale, and they are all important enough and far enough removed from combat to do so.  Bronn and Podrick should also be alright.

Cersei is definitely going to die, and must if they want to be consistent with the way the prophecy was portrayed.  I feel pretty sure that Jaime, Jorah, the Hound, Qyburn, Beric, Thoros, Tormund, Littlefinger, Varys, Melisandre, Euron, and Grey Worm are also goners.  I am on the fence about Brienne.  I also believe Daenerys will die having never sat on the iron throne, and that Jon will survive to be heartbroken by this.  It could be the other way around, but I think it is more likely that Jon doesn't die a second time.

Interesting...........

I think in terms of TV show "code" (there is one if you pay attention) concerning murder or high crimes, the character cannot live unrepentant.  Cersei must die for all the devastation she has caused.  Arya must die because of all the killing she has done (I don't like it but I think it MUST happen) As much as we like the idea of what Deanerys is trying to accomplish, she has killed MANY people along the way.  I think she must die UNLESS the fan favoritism is so immense that it forces the show to keep her but portray redemption somehow.  Littlefinger must die.

At the end, I think Tyrion will live, Jaime, Varys, (Jon should live but they will try to break everyone's expectations with killing him) Brienne, Podrick, Davos, Tormund, Gendry will live due to being fan favorites and other specific reasons, Jorah will live because why end the grayscale just for him to die and he's a fan favorite, Sansa will live, Bran should live but will probably die for the same reason Jon will, MEERA WILL LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T THINK OF ANYONE ELSE SPECIFIC 

Ghost will live

Jon and Dany go back to Mereen

Gendry and Arya get married and rule Westeros, bring the series back full circle, except this time the Baretheon gets the Stark girl

Sansa is Lady of WF, marries Jorah

Hound dies, Beric dies 

Jamie dies after killing Bran, who was the Nights King

Tormund lives, ruling over the Wildlings (we have no other Wildling characters left), they are given lands around Eastwatch

Cersei is killed by the mountain, just well because no one sees it coming

Sam and Gilly live. 

Pod and Brienne....don't know

Jon will survive. Dany I think not, not sure how though.

Sansa will survive having become a better person and a leader.

Bran will die to the Nights King but only after doing something to ultimately beat him.

Jorah will die up North saving Jon to give Dany her heart's desire. What better way to show his (unreciprocated) love for her.

Beric and Thoros will die swords aflame battling a retreat for the company.

I think Jaime will die to the Mountain saving Tyrion from Cersei. Jaime may take out Cersei at that time too. Probably to die in each other arms.

Arya will survive and run off with Nymeria and her Wolfpack.

13 hours ago, Error-504 said:

Gendry and Arya get married and rule Westeros, bring the series back full circle, except this time the Baretheon gets the Stark girl

Jamie dies after killing Bran, who was the Nights King

Outside of Bran being the Night King, I totally support these two theories.  If I had to make a bet, books and show, this is how I think it will end.  Though I say that with only like 20% confidence lol.

1 hour ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Outside of Bran being the Night King, I totally support these two theories.  If I had to make a bet, books and show, this is how I think it will end.  Though I say that with only like 20% confidence lol.

If Bran was not the Nights King why would Jaime kill Bran????

Nice thread.

I think Cersei will live, contrary to pretty much everyone else it seems. Heroes and antiheroes and dragons and Ghost etc. will save humanity and die left and right in the process. But afterwards before the Spring is here, Cersei will betray what remains of them - in the show this will in my opinion surely include Jon and Dany, damaged but not broken and madly in love; ready to move on when Cersei offs with them, to secure the Iron throne for herself, once and for all. That is what I thought, when I read bittersweet way back when. Humanity survives to suffer more.

Cersei survives, everyone else dies except maybe Qyburn who is of course right there to actually make things happen for Team C in The End.

1 hour ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

I actually don't think we'll see the remaining main cast slaughtered.  Most of them will live, Cersei and/or Dany will die.  Maybe Jaime.  LF, Varys, and Melisandre sure.

The rest live.

Im thinking more will die than just those youve named, but at same time it wont be wholesale slaughter. Im thinking it will be somewhere in between.

I do think at least one of the Starks/Jon will die. 

Given recent interviews and comments by D&D plus the way they are writing Arya in the show, Im pretty certain they are going to kill her off in season 8. She will be their big death amongst the Starks.

D&D have pretty much stated how much they love Sansa and the way they are writing just seems so unlikely they will kill her off and killing Bran who is barely a personality at this point wont have much impact with the wider audience overall. So that leaves Arya to be the sacrificial lamb.

David and Dan have almost zero understanding of the Arya character (who is my favourite). Hell, Benioff evwn said how Sansa was a relateable normal person whereas Arya was always sort of there and whatever the most rebellious or badass thing to do, Arya will just do that. 

That comment alone shows he has no fucking idea who Arya is supposed to be. GRRM never wrote her as just a badass killer/fighter whose destiny was to kill some people, be cool, then die. Aarya is a deeply complex, multitalented but troubled and conflicted character.

It really feels D&D are just focusing on Sansa as a character and will just keep Arya in the story long enough until they can kill her. 

Theon looks like he could be lined up for a sacrificing himself to save Yara, taking Euron with him.

Melisandre might also go in a similar way, working her death into some kind of blood magic to tip the odds in the final battle. Perhaps she will request that Davos does the deed? As a conciliatory gesture.

Cersei is dead as according to the prophecy, maybe mercy killed by Jamie. This could happen a few epsiodes ahead of the finale. Jamie may chose to die with her, perhaps this will be left ambiguous?

The Cleagnebowl leaves Gregor finally dead and Sandor the narrow survivor. Maimed for life, but finally at peace.

Varys might have some kind of hard luck, ironic death. Maybe he banks too much on the Little Birds in King's Landing remaining loyal to him and ends up like Pycelle. It would be good if he got to take out Qyburn first.

Jorah living to take his father's place in the Night's Watch would be quite fitting.

Sansa marries Sweet Robyn out of duty, but quickly turns the situation to her advantage. By the end of the show she's well on the way to becoming Olenna mark II.

Bronn keeps beating the odds and finally gets his castle.

Daenerys takes the throne with Tyrion remaining as her Hand. She might lose all but one dragon in the process. The final impression is that she has some tough work ahead of her, getting the rest of Westeros to keep line (like every good ruler before her).

Some kind of reward for Brienne, Davos and Gendry would be well earned. Head of the Queensguard for Brienne, Master of Ships for Davos and head of the revived House Baratheon for Gendry.

Bran lives on in Winterfell and becomes more deatched  from humanity, like his predecessor. Arya may chose the life of a nomad. If he survives then Jon might follow a similar path.

Tormund, Podrick and Dolorous Ed survive the battle with the Walkers. Grey Worm and Beric do not.

1 hour ago, Fenway said:

Theon looks like he could be lined up for a sacrificing himself to save Yara, taking Euron with him.

Melisandre might also go in a similar way, working her death into some kind of blood magic to tip the odds in the final battle. Perhaps she will request that Davos does the deed? As a conciliatory gesture.

Cersei is dead as according to the prophecy, maybe mercy killed by Jamie. This could happen a few epsiodes ahead of the finale. Jamie may chose to die with her, perhaps this will be left ambiguous?

The Cleagnebowl leaves Gregor finally dead and Sandor the narrow survivor. Maimed for life, but finally at peace.

Varys might have some kind of hard luck, ironic death. Maybe he banks too much on the Little Birds in King's Landing remaining loyal to him and ends up like Pycelle. It would be good if he got to take out Qyburn first.

Jorah living to take his father's place in the Night's Watch would be quite fitting.

Sansa marries Sweet Robyn out of duty, but quickly turns the situation to her advantage. By the end of the show she's well on the way to becoming Olenna mark II.

Bronn keeps beating the odds and finally gets his castle.

Daenerys takes the throne with Tyrion remaining as her Hand. She might lose all but one dragon in the process. The final impression is that she has some tough work ahead of her, getting the rest of Westeros to keep line (like every good ruler before her).

Some kind of reward for Brienne, Davos and Gendry would be well earned. Head of the Queensguard for Brienne, Master of Ships for Davos and head of the revived House Baratheon for Gendry.

Bran lives on in Winterfell and becomes more deatched  from humanity, like his predecessor. Arya may chose the life of a nomad. If he survives then Jon might follow a similar path.

Tormund, Podrick and Dolorous Ed survive the battle with the Walkers. Grey Worm and Beric do not.

Some of this  I like, while some doesn't make any sense. What purpose doe's the wall and nights watch serve if the NK is defeated? Or do they just battle him to another 1,000 year retreat? With the wall down, the wildlings South of the Wall, I don't see a need for the NW. Rather, I see an 8th kingdom, originally led by Tormund, north of the wall, and an ally of the North. If Jon wanted to get away from all the politics of the South, and pretty much disappear after the war, this might not be a bad place either. 

I completely forgot about Theon, and like how you have his storyline concluding. I imagine in this scenario Yara ends up ruling the Iron Islands?

Jamie killing Cerise, while entirely possible, just seems too predictable. The prophecy by Maggie seems to imply the killer will choke Cersei to death, using his/her hands (special attention to the plural). Jamie only has one hand. And this doesn't seem to be Arya's style of killing either. If D & D are going to set up an " I didn't see that one coming" moment,  I think this is the spot.  

Cleagenbowl is just fan service, the Hound never speaks of a desire to kill his  older brother, although the Hound killing Cersei while in the Mountains armor might fulfill the prophecy in an unexpected way?

Vary's? who knows, he could die of old age and as long as in Westeros, this fulfills Mel's premonitions. 

I do think Jorah's honor will be restored, and if the Nights Watch is still around, that is a good ending, just not sure it will be. If Jorah and Jon become good friends, and Jorah yielding to Jon for Dany's affection, I think Sansa is a good match for Jorah. 

Will we ever see Sweet Robynn again? What happens to the Vale? A Sansa/Sweet Robyn marriage is just to ewwww........ but Sansa ending up with the Vale is interesting............

Ultimately Bronn's fate will rely on if he chooses to stay with Cersei after Jamie leaves. I hope he defects as well, one of my favorite characters.

Gendry will be the king, with Arya as his queen. I like what you have done with Brienne and Davos however. 

I agree with the Bran theory, I really hope he doesn't end up being the NK, although I am starting to see this as a possible outcome (as much as I hate it). For Brann to die however, I think it has to coincide with the death of all magic, aka no more dragons, no more Others, no more Wall, etc. 

Again, Tormund is a key figure in the show universe, as there are no named characters to represent the Wildlings at this point. For him to die, it would have to be fairly late in next season, and a good chance he survives as I stated earlier. The others are all cannon fodder in my opinion,  with the possible exception of Qyburn. 

Qyburn has been a bit of an enigma to me, I really like his character, and I compare him to Bronn in many ways. While both are on the wrong side, both are more opportunists than inherently good or bad. Bronn sells his services to the highest bidder, and Qyburn chooses to ally with those that allow him to conduct his research in the manor he sees fit (remember he was kicked out of the Citadel because his experiments were too dark). It will be interesting to see his reaction to the wights, and if his curiosity to see what makes them tick, ultimately ends up with his departure from Team Cersei. With the Citadel all but turning their backs on the WW issue, I think it would be a nice turn of events to see Sam, Brann, Gendry, and Qyburn working together to make weapons to fight the WW's. 

As to who kills the NK, right now my leading characters are......Jon, Jamie, or Beric. Or a combination of all three. I sincerely believe Jamie is the third head of the dragon, and will lead a force from Westeros to ally with the Northern forces and Dany's forces to help fight the great battle. 

I think there are three characters north of the wall who will make it to the end. Jon, Gendry, and the Hound. The others will likely die. 

If Jon dies, it will be at the very end. Gendry's dramatic return to the show signifies that he is not going to die off at this point. They're setting him up for something, and while I would like to see him marry Arya in the end, there is a good chance Arya will die. It will be sad, because she is my favorite character. The Hound will at the very least accompany Jon to Kings Landing in order to kill his zombified brother. He may die in the process, but that's happening. 

Theon is setting up to be one of the shows pivotal characters, if you ask me. There is a reason they have spent years now destroying his manhood, literally, and it's because eventually the dude is going to snap and go on a rampage of redemption. 

I doubt Bran dies. Unless the ENTIRE thing collapses, there will always be a need for a three eyed Raven in this universe. 

Sansa could end up sitting on the iron throne. Dany dies. 

Sam is the narrator of this whole thing. 

11 hours ago, Error-504 said:

Some of this  I like, while some doesn't make any sense. What purpose doe's the wall and nights watch serve if the NK is defeated? Or do they just battle him to another 1,000 year retreat? With the wall down, the wildlings South of the Wall, I don't see a need for the NW. Rather, I see an 8th kingdom, originally led by Tormund, north of the wall, and an ally of the North. If Jon wanted to get away from all the politics of the South, and pretty much disappear after the war, this might not be a bad place either. 

My guess would be, that once the Night King is defeated, the rulers of Westeros feel a lot more inclined to pledge their resources towards the defence of the North. As a precuation against the unknown threats that may still remain. The Night's Watch will get a major influx of manpower (defeated Lannister troops and perhaps old soldiers, like Jorah). And a lot of effort will be needed to rebuild the wall. if much of it is damaged. 

Jon might want to renounce any claim on the throne in favour of Daenerys, perhaps he will resume a leadership position as Warden of the North. Or he may chose to end up like Benjen, forever ranging beyond the wall.

I thought the Sansa/Robyn ending would be a good reflection of the theme of the world returning to normal, run by feudal politics as usual (Marriages with a big age difference are commonplace in such a world). A smart operator like Sansa could easily make sure that a useful dolt like Robyn didn't have much control over her and barely got the chance to touch her. While she could enjoy the benefits of ruling two houses.

Archived