Why did the have to make gendry have such a ridiculous weapon

snow is the man

I get that he has a war hammer because robert had one and because he has swung a hammer all his life but why make it so unrealistic. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think there has ever been a war hammer like that used in combat outside of a video game or movie. Maybe I am wrong but to me they could have just used a regular war hammer or something semi realistic for it so it would be believable. Although I did love him bashing in two crooked gold cloaks heads in. Maybe its just a pet peeve but did anyone else notice this?

2 hours ago, daemonTheBlack said:

You are wrong. Just google "war hammer weapon".

However the physical depiction of the weapon in this episode of a fantasy TV show may not have been 100% similar to the war hammers from our history. I will give you that... for whatever that's worth.

No, he is right. Warhammers started as almost regular hammers and changed a little to be weapons to respond to increased armors. So they have one side flat or serrated and other side with a pike. What we saw had a very weird round thing.

There was that troll hammer on Buffy.  She used it on Glory.  Maybe Gendry has either troll or slayer strength?

I don't know if we ever saw Robert's hammer in the show.  In the book it is described as being cartoonishly large and so big in fact that his friend Ned could not wield it.

6 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I get that he has a war hammer because robert had one and because he has swung a hammer all his life but why make it so unrealistic. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think there has ever been a war hammer like that used in combat outside of a video game or movie. Maybe I am wrong but to me they could have just used a regular war hammer or something semi realistic for it so it would be believable. Although I did love him bashing in two crooked gold cloaks heads in. Maybe its just a pet peeve but did anyone else notice this?

Real war hammers don't look anything like that fake piece of shit Gendry was wielding 

7 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I get that he has a war hammer because robert had one and because he has swung a hammer all his life but why make it so unrealistic. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think there has ever been a war hammer like that used in combat outside of a video game or movie.

And things that belong in movies and video games don't belong in TV shows. Right. Because reasons, I guess.

5 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Mainly it was a nod to Robert.  But I did wonder how the small boat would stay afloat if it was a real war hammer :-) 

Haha, yup.

All of you who say it's ok for the warhammer to look like that: do you have any idea how much a piece of solid steel of those dimensions weighs? And then to put in at the end of a shaft, and use it in battle. No way. I get that they're trying to say that Gendry is his father's son, and has become very strong, even though the actor doesn't show it. But no one, short of the Mountain, would be able to use that in battle.

46 minutes ago, Charlie Hustle said:

ehh. i just did a search of warhammer weapons, and most did look like it. Also if it didnt look real, well, a lot of stuff isnt real on the show.. Like.. you know... Dragons......

Try again. Real warhammers were not overblown. And this talk about this being a fantasy show, so anything goes, is always grating to me. It breaks immersion when something like this is revealed. Rules still need to be applied. Unless Gendry developed magic powers of his own, then stuff related to humans still needs to be realistic.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Haha, yup.

All of you who say it's ok for the warhammer to look like that: do you have any idea how much a piece of solid steel of those dimensions weighs? And then to put in at the end of a shaft, and use it in battle. No way. I get that they're trying to say that Gendry is his father's son, and has become very strong, even though the actor doesn't show it. But no one, short of the Mountain, would be able to use that in battle.

In Thor's words

"Well, if it has too much weight, you lose power over the swing" :D

A true war hammer should be sized for use with one hand.  Other than that I have no problem with the one in the show.  I think folks need to stop referencing our history in comparison to this work of fantasy.  It should be clear based on the existence of the magic/gods/dragons/assassins/warging/wights/white walkers/warlocks/resurrections/cotf....but some still think this is somehow occurring in our world.

While the weapon doesn't look like a traditional warhammer, it also doesn't look as unrealistic as you are making it sound. I mean, if you hit someone in the head with that thing, it would kill them, traditional warhammer or not. 

20 minutes ago, Joshy said:

While the weapon doesn't look like a traditional warhammer, it also doesn't look as unrealistic as you are making it sound. I mean, if you hit someone in the head with that thing, it would kill them, traditional warhammer or not. 

True, it just seems too cumbersome and slow to use based on the size.  I think he would be cut to shreds before he could even swing it against someone with a longsword.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Haha, yup.

Try again. Real warhammers were not overblown. And this talk about this being a fantasy show, so anything goes, is always grating to me. It breaks immersion when something like this is revealed. Rules still need to be applied. Unless Gendry developed magic powers of his own, then stuff related to humans still needs to be realistic.

You mean like an actual human who can chop off a horse head with one swing of a sword? Or an actual person who can be cut in half, then revived? Or a person who loses his dominant hand, but still can be a great swordsman in a minuscule amount of time? Or a tiny girl who can go head to head with a seasoned swords woman (prolly the toughest woman in westeros) and the sparring round come to a draw??? Realism has been thrown out the window a few seasons ago.

My take on it is to enjoy it as is it. Gendrys justification is he has been using a hammer all of his life.And with him being the son of one of a great warhammer wielder, just made enough sense with me.. 

Archived