Why doesn't Jon stop by Winterfell?

ChrisS

1 hour ago, Iotun said:

2) The whole point of the plan is obviously not just to do it quickly, but obviously for it to be a success as well. GOing back to Winterfell allows Jon to pick up some soldiers for his expedition rather than going off with 7 men on foot.

I think it's more than the seven men on foot, those are just the only ones that matter. I'm pretty sure you could see more people behind them coming through the gate. Probably some combination of Jon's men that he had with him the whole time, the remnants of BWB, and some of Tormund's crew.

3 hours ago, Iotun said:

He could at least send a raven to tell his sisters and brother to go and wait for him in a some coastal town, or in EastWatch itself, so that he can meet them again just in case he never returns.

I don't think that Jon has been informed of Aryas and Brans miraculous appearance at Winterfell.

6 hours ago, Illiterati said:

they hopped on the Bullet Train Eastwatch Express.  Unfortunately, it doesn't go through Winterfell.

Oh, and the Littlefinger game has to play out without him or girl power has been lost.

6 hours ago, Charlie Hustle said:

Because the Varys wormhole wagon didnt have a route to Winterfel at that very moment...

6 hours ago, Marada78 said:

Shame they couldn't pass to winterfell where they probably left the snow cannon, since Eastwatch had no snow at all on the ground. Apparently winter yet has to come.

The savagery :D hahah

1 hour ago, Zumbs said:

I don't think that Jon has been informed of Aryas and Brans miraculous appearance at Winterfell.

He has. He mentions to Dany that he had thought Arya and Bran were dead (with the implication being that he now knows they're alive), when he reads the scroll arriving from Winterfell.

14 hours ago, Mahtimuussi said:

So that Jon doesn´t find out about him being the legitimitate Targaryen before the finale. Hard to figure out plot reason though

Uhm.... stopping at Winterfell is out of the way, as they didn't go by land down to Dragonstone, so I'm presuming they'd sail to Eastwatch instead of White Harbour, because they're going to The Wall, not Winterfell, since there's really no reason to and a horrible waste of time when TIME is what they're running out of in the greater scheme of humanity's survival. 

5 hours ago, Iotun said:

Quick note, I'm the same user as the OP, just found an older account I had years ago and decided to reuse this.

As a quick response on the comments that going back to Winterfell would take a long time:

1) Jon doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry... Afterall he's willing to wait for Davos to sail to King's Landing with Tyrion and back before going off, and go off on an excursion to the North without any horses or supplies. The whole plot in any case relies on Jon going from Dragonstone to Eastwatch, an expedition to the North without knowing where exactly to aim for, a return journey from the North to Eastwatch, again on foot, and dragging a zombie with them, a trip back to Dragonstone, then to King's Landing for a parley,. and then yet another trip back to the North with all of Daenery's army... If we are suddenly to take geographical matters of journey time into consideration as factors into why the characters do or do not certain things, the whole plan is ridiculous and would take years.

2) The whole point of the plan is obviously not just to do it quickly, but obviously for it to be a success as well. GOing back to Winterfell allows Jon to pick up some soldiers for his expedition rather than going off with 7 men on foot.

3) Finally, it's just a matter of characterisation. Jon knows he may very well die, and never see his family again. Fine, he may not want to go to Winterfell to save time. He could at least send a raven to tell his sisters and brother to go and wait for him in a some coastal town, or in EastWatch itself, so that he can meet them again just in case he never returns.

I guess I'm just being ironic with my question, because I know there's no real 'answer'. I'm just annoyed how the show has thrown any internal logic out the window, about what the characters would really do in the context they are in, in order to fanboyish force 'what if' action set pieces.

1) Jon is very much in a hurry. Winter is here. It's getting worse and the cold will eventually paralyze most of the continent - they've been talking about food/grain storage for Winter for 7 season, and now they know that the Army of the Dead are heading towards Eastwatch. Time is everything.

2) They don't need to go back to get people from Winterfell. They can grab people from The Wall - if they grab anyone at all. 

3) You don't know he hasn't sent a Raven to let them know his whereabouts. Or he may have said nothing, since that might risk the Northern Lords thinking he's insane for going on such a suicide mission. But again, none of these Lords have seen first hand what Jon has. So they don't understand what we, the audience, understand.

Logic? Stopping at Winterfell when it could jeopardize the future of humanity since time is actually of the essence to their success, is in no way, "logical."

2 hours ago, Zumbs said:

Uhmmm...... 

29 minutes ago, Iotun said:

He has. He mentions to Dany that he had thought Arya and Bran were dead (with the implication being that he now knows they're alive), when he reads the scroll arriving from Winterfell.

This. 

Of course he knows... it's how he finds out the WW are on their way south, and they need to convince Cersei fast, because they need every last breathing human to be on the same side.

18 hours ago, Iotun said:

Do you remember when that was? Because I was obviously sleeping through that part ...

Passing by Winterfel might bring Jon face to face with Bran. And then Jon might be tempted to welcome him back, ask questions about his abilities to see the movement of the army of the dead, and might even learn more about the Bran being a greenseer. He might learn about the creation of the Night King by the Children of the Forest. Jon might even ask Bran to come with them to Eastwatch to spy for maybe individually or separately moving wights easier to catch than confronting the whole army of the dead.

To avoid all this, Jon better not pay visit to Winterfell.

1 hour ago, Zumbs said:

Do you remember when that was? Because I was obviously sleeping through that part ...

It was after he received the raven telling him about Eastwatch.  It was from Bran and also informed him that Arya was home.  The scene opened with him saying he thought they were dead.

56 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

It was after he received the raven telling him about Eastwatch.  It was from Bran and also informed him that Arya was home.  The scene opened with him saying he thought they were dead.

Ah, yes, thanks!

Archived