Does Littlefinger have an informer in Dorne? Who, and does it matter??

ReturnOfCaponBreath

In AFFC Alayne II Little finger says to Santa....

" I had hoped to have four or five quiet years to plant some seeds and allow some fruits to ripen, but now . . . it is a good thing that I thrive on chaos. What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear."

This is shortly after the failed plot by Arianne Martel to crown Myrcella which few knew about. (the conspirators + Doran + Areo Hotah + presumably Riccasso + the guards used to intercept).

Now if we assume Littlefinger is referring to Cersei + Margaery + Myrcella as the 3 queens he must have an informant very close to Doran.

Who?

how/why?

Does it matter? Maybe the major players have informants everywhere but Kings Landing certainly don't seem to know about It. if he does have a well placed informer, might he know something about Quentin's quest?

It's possible he is referring to Dany as the third queen but in the passage he seems to be talking exclusively about Westeros and Day currently has no impact there so I don't think he is.

Any thoughts?

55 minutes ago, ReturnOfCaponBreath said:

In AFFC Alayne II Little finger says to Santa....

Any thoughts?

What a list of Christmas presents he must have ...

I agree with the (smarter) major players having spies all over the place. So yes, he has somebody (probably several somebodies) in Dorne but this is no big deal.

However, spies are not omniscient .

We hardly know anything about the Dornish court, especially for the more mundane positions like seneschal or steward. I don't think we could finger anyone with a remotely supportive evidence. The obvious case can be made for DarkStar and his actions definitely skew towards LF's style, but how and when would they have met? I can't really think of any other characters we've been introduced to or seen on page that would make any sense.

I don't think the three queens include Myrcella (to me Dany makes more sense), so I am prolly just sidestepping the question anyway. 

42 minutes ago, Valyirian Aurochs said:

I think he is referring to Dany in Essos. Littlefinger knew about her ever since Robert was discussing ways to kill her in AGoT. And there is no way to know if Arriane's plot was happening during the same time or before that chapter.

I was a bit lazy to look it up but this is a pretty good resource: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsY3lcDDtTdBWp1Gx6mfkdtZT6-Gk0kdTGeSC_Dj7WM/edit#gid=8

I think it was Ravenous Reader that pointed out the third queen he was talking about could be Sansa. The "three queens game" is a chess analogy where the game starts with 2 queens but you advance a pawn (Sansa) and turn it into a queen.

It could be someone else (Cersei, Margaery/Olena + Myrcella, Dany, Arriane, Olena etc) but I do like the explanation.

It's certainly possible Littlefinger has someone in Dorne, I'm sure he would like to, but I'm not too sure how much effort he would go to cultivate someone reliable there.

I think it’s a given that LF & Varys have people working for them in all of the significant places. The real questions for me are:

1. How many?

2. Are they low-level informants who only report random tidbits and comings and goings, or are they high level informants who have some knowledge of LF’s goals like the Kettleblacks?

3. Are they in it for the money, or are they in it for something bigger?

4. If we’re dealing with one or more high-level informants who have some knowledge of LF’s aims, then we should consider the possibility that they may be playing LF in turn.

I’ll have to re-read his POV to be sure as it's been a long time, but maybe that one his chapters is “The Watcher” is a hint that Areo is working with someone, not necessarily LF? If so, I’d expect a clue or two to be dropped.

I feel it’s a safe assumption that LF would have looked into the Tower of Joy incident and Ned's other movements around the the time of RR if only to find out dirt on Ned and his bastard(s) and mistress(es) to worm his way back into Catelyn’s life, possibly by blackmailing Ned. I’m not sure if this would translate to LF’s deep interest in Dorne in the present, but I think it’s possible that LF may have accidentally found interesting things in Dorne in searching for secrets about Ned.

Eh, forgot this part. Yeah, I do think Dany is one of the three Queens. I’m not sure how you overlook that. LF”s MO so far is to pit major houses against each other and watch them destroy themselves while he sits it out in the shadows. Elevating Sansa to Queen of something at this point in the story is to put her in the line of fire of Dany and her dragons, so I’m currently inclined to think that LF doesn't want Sansa in the spotlight just yet.

Archived