Seven Samurai

Myrddin

GRRM wrote in his blog that he's a massive Kurasawa fan (he even especially noted Shichinin no samurai), so there might be more behind this than just the showrunners.

Though that also means that the dumb capture a wight plan is a thing in the upcoming books as well<_<

I figure Thoros has to die because resurrections would die with him [always protect the party cleric/healer] and that's a good way of raising the stakes.

I feel like Beric may have fulfilled his mission and/or may just be tired of coming back less and less of himself repeatedy (and he's long past his book death at this point)

Jorah may survive so he can vouch for Sam to Dany (who isn't too keen on Tarlys at this point), but I can also very much see Jorah as Two Days Away From Retirement after how happy a reunion he had with Dany.

Gendry getting this big reintroduction and all this hype only to die right away seems like some people's idea of the "traditional GRRM style" shocking twist so they might do that.  I do want to think he's got a reconnection with Arya coming though.  With all the other reunions they're doing they might as well, right?

Sandor's got a date with his brother, he should be fine.

Tormund?  I think he's going to remain as shorthand/symbol for the existence of the free folk.

And LOL Jon is done dying. :)

Love the Magnifcent Seven Of Westeros/Glorious Basterds/Team Balls To The Wall.  Too bad they're most likely getting their ass whipped.

1 hour ago, pinoyathletics said:

There are more than 7 of them, i counted in the scene where they are in the circle. Atleast 11 or 12. So are the un named characters, Wildings members of night watch or the other brotherhood guys.

Those would be the redshirts. Or redcloaks, as someone else suggested. Or if you prefer, the redfurs.

On 8/14/2017 at 3:19 PM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Team FireLord Assembles!

Jon - raised by a red priestess/fire god

Beric - raised by a red priest/fire god

Thoros - fire god servant

Hound - burnt by fire has a child

Gendry - a smith who works with fire (bends valyrian/dragonsteel? )

Jorah - healed with dragonglass (frozenfire)

Thormund - a beautifull ginger kissed by fire

Hah... this is awesome.  As I was reading your list I wondered how Tormund was going to fit.  

Totally forgot the kissed by fire thing.  

On 8/14/2017 at 11:46 PM, Frances Bean Corbray said:

I figure Thoros has to die because resurrections would die with him [always protect the party cleric/healer] and that's a good way of raising the stakes.

I don't know.  The show is pretty good at forgetting red priests can raise the dead when it suits them.  I mean, can anyone explain to me why Jon didn't carry Rickon's body over to Melisandre and say "fix my little brother!"?  He had one arrow wound.  Jon had how many stab wounds?  

Still, if they do get rid of Thoros, they still have Berric's kiss of life like he used in the books to raise Cat.  So I guess that would work for a nicely dramatic sacrifice scene depending on who he brings back.  

Tormund needs to survive.  Some have said he's an easy representative for the wildlings, and without him they'd need to introduce a new haracter to take his place.  So.. please keep Tormund.  

Im actually expecting Gendry to eat it. He's an amalgam of Edric Storm and bookGendry, and I feel like their story may be over.  So fanservice to bring him back and then get rid of him again?  Maybe?  Still... it'd be nice to have a reunion with Arya.  

Gendry getting this big reintroduction and all this hype only to die right away seems like some people's idea of the "traditional GRRM style" shocking twist so they might do that.

No not really. People don't care enough for Gendry to be shocked.....

3 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

I don't know.  The show is pretty good at forgetting red priests can raise the dead when it suits them.  I mean, can anyone explain to me why Jon didn't carry Rickon's body over to Melisandre and say "fix my little brother!"?  He had one arrow wound.  Jon had how many stab wounds?  

Still, if they do get rid of Thoros, they still have Berric's kiss of life like he used in the books to raise Cat.  So I guess that would work for a nicely dramatic sacrifice scene depending on who he brings back.  

Tormund needs to survive.  Some have said he's an easy representative for the wildlings, and without him they'd need to introduce a new haracter to take his place.  So.. please keep Tormund.  

Im actually expecting Gendry to eat it. He's an amalgam of Edric Storm and bookGendry, and I feel like their story may be over.  So fanservice to bring him back and then get rid of him again?  Maybe?  Still... it'd be nice to have a reunion with Arya.  

Actually by the end rickon had caught at least three arrows. Still jon got stabbed like six times and one was in the heart so anythings possible

7 hours ago, Runaway Penguin said:

Jon does not seem to care much about the experience though - maybe he does not want his little brother to go through the same. And Mel could have expended her "juice" on him. 

True.  It was just very jarring that no one even raised the possibility... pun unintended. 

The fact that Jon being raised from the dead isn't mentioned more is also just weird.  Even a scene having some low level grunts bring it up questioningly.

"I hear King Jon was killed and raised from the dead."

"yeah yeah, they also said his brother King Robb took the form of a wolf and devoured his enemies.  Bored men make up stories around a camp fire."

On 14.8.2017 at 10:08 PM, Dragons 7th Eye said:

And then there is an epic sex scene between Dany and Jon in a cave. *sigh*

This is my prediction.

Has to be something else than a cave. Ygrette and Jon already did that.

6 hours ago, Deminelle said:

Has to be something else than a cave. Ygrette and Jon already did that.

Well, when going into a cave with Jon Snow it's a 50/50 chance of getting super sex or an art show.  

This graphless meme brought to you by google. 

I hadn't read the seven samurai thing before, but I had figured since Eastwatch finished airing that only three survive. 

Jon, Gendry, and the Hound. Jon and Gendry are obviously important to the entire storyline, and the Hound has been around for too long and his character has gone through such dramatic transformation , I figure they will keep him around as well.

Also, once they kill off the other four (later Ser Jorah, I'm glad he got to pledge his life to Dany in the end), this will leave the path clear for Hound to finally enact revenge against his brother for mutilating him. (And I imagine he will jump at the opportunity once he sees the Mountain has been turned into a zombie).

Cersei will have a Red Wedding type trap laid for our heroes once they take the Wight to Kings Landing. It will fail thanks to the Hound, who may well lay down his life in the process.

9 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

True.  It was just very jarring that no one even raised the possibility... pun unintended. 

The fact that Jon being raised from the dead isn't mentioned more is also just weird.  Even a scene having some low level grunts bring it up questioningly.

"I hear King Jon was killed and raised from the dead."

"yeah yeah, they also said his brother King Robb took the form of a wolf and devoured his enemies.  Bored men make up stories around a camp fire."

Yeah, this is something from the books that the show runners didn't know how to deal with because GRRM won't write the damn books lol.  They had to have Jon die because it was too major a thing to deviate from, but they had no patience or inclination towards dealing with the ramifications.  And without the book to plot that out for them, D & D are lost on that.  

That being said, I'm surprised it is still consistently being mentioned between Dany and Jon so obviously there is some plan to do something with it.  

As far as the Seven Samurai reference goes, yes that does seem like it's an inspiration as well as the mission in the first book to show the wight's hand to Robert Baratheon.  

I think this whole mission is really dumb and the machinations behind it don't quite make sense, but I have trouble seeing how the show and maybe even the books can avoid it.  Like you need the White Walkers to still be a threat and I wonder if in the books you don't really see them again until the Wall falls and they are already through to Westeros proper?

And from the show's perspective I understand why they are doing this.  They want another big Hardhome-like battle and without having the Wall fall (I imagine that will either be the end of this season or the beginning of the final one) so they need some excuse for characters we care about to go North of the Wall.  It's a good excuse to create probably what will be an epic memorable episode so I can kind of just turn my brain off on the plot logic behind it and enjoy.

3 hours ago, Theon_is_Azor said:

Cersei will have a Red Wedding type trap laid for our heroes once they take the Wight to Kings Landing. It will fail thanks to the Hound, who may well lay down his life in the process.

I assume Dany will be there with her dragons circling overhead.

Also, it's simpler for Cersei to agree to the armistice, then backstab everyone once it starts, than to try to kill them in KL. She even said to Jaime that the armistice sounds like a good strategy (which of course she'd already decided without having to be shown a wight, reminding us how silly this whole side quest is).

Think about it: Cersei has a few thousand men ready to fight, and a whole lot of gold she hasn't spent, so she's not risking much. Once everyone gets to the Wall, if the dead turn out to be a much worse threat than Dany, hire the GC and send them there, but otherwise, hire them to take first Dragonstone and then Winterfell while everyone is busy. (Taking Dragonstone makes sense either way—if Dany loses to the dead, Cersei's going to need that cache of dragonglass; if Dany wins, Cersei's taken away her only beachhead.)

With Euron's complete naval domination, nobody can turn around and bring anything to bear against Cersei, beyond what they can fit on Dany's dragons, which isn't going to be enough to defeat an entrenched army of the best mercenaries in the world.

The only way this could fail is if, say, she puts her valonqar Jaime in charge of the war effort and he decides this is one step too evil and turns on her.

Archived