Jorah's accent is starting to annoy me

anjulibai

I think he sounds quite 'posh' compared to the other northerners and there's not really any reason for that is there? Except as others have said, you could claim that travel to various areas has diluted/altered his accent. I suppose especially if he has lived somewhere with a big mixture of accents, because you see that in London - people begin to sound the same, a bit like having a 'telephone voice'.

But yeah, add me to the pertition for getting him to do the audiobooks. :)

12 minutes ago, Isis said:

I think he sounds quite 'posh' compared to the other northerners and there's not really any reason for that is there? Except as others have said, you could claim that travel to various areas has diluted/altered his accent.

The actors playing Sansa, Arya, Bran, Roose and Ramsey (I'm sure I am forgetting some others) are all meant to be portraying Northerners yet they all have posh southern English accents in the show. Roose's is even a hybrid Irish/English accent. Iain Glen - plays Jorah - is a Scottish actor and his Scottish accent does come through, at times, but on the whole he just seems to have tried to make his voice more well spoken as opposed to trying to change to an English accent. A bit like Aiden Gillen that plays Littlefinger. At the start he seemed to be trying to do an English accent but his own Irish accent kept coming through to the point he now just speaks with a well spoken Irish accent.

One of the most interesting cases is Conleth Hill, who plays Varys. He is born and bred in Ballycastle, Northern Ireland, which is a town about 40 minutes away from my hometown, Ballymena. Despite that, he pulls off a flawless English accent. Not once have I noticed him slip into his Northern Irish accent, and believe me, I have tried to listen out for it!

I notice someone else has pointed out in the thread that they like Beric's voice. Beric's actor, Richard Dormer, too, is from a town in Northern Ireland, 40 minutes in the opposite direction as Conleth Hill's hometown is from me. His English accent isn't as convincing as Hill's, but the tone of his voice makes up for it.

I've said on many threads, it's a shame the showrunners didn't pay more attention to accent, having certain accents for certain Kingdoms etcetra. The problem maybe lies with the fact it is an American production and generally American people can find it harder to distinguish between specific British accents or Northern and Southern English accents, just as British people can struggle to differentiate between an East Coast and West Coast American accent, say. 

1 hour ago, JordanJH1993 said:

The actors playing Sansa, Arya, Bran, Roose and Ramsey (I'm sure I am forgetting some others) are all meant to be portraying Northerners yet they all have posh southern English accents in the show. Roose's is even a hybrid Irish/English accent. Iain Glen - plays Jorah - is a Scottish actor and his Scottish accent does come through, at times, but on the whole he just seems to have tried to make his voice more well spoken as opposed to trying to change to an English accent. A bit like Aiden Gillen that plays Littlefinger. At the start he seemed to be trying to do an English accent but his own Irish accent kept coming through to the point he now just speaks with a well spoken Irish accent.

One of the most interesting cases is Conleth Hill, who plays Varys. He is born and bred in Ballycastle, Northern Ireland, which is a town about 40 minutes away from my hometown, Ballymena. Despite that, he pulls off a flawless English accent. Not once have I noticed him slip into his Northern Irish accent, and believe me, I have tried to listen out for it!

I notice someone else has pointed out in the thread that they like Beric's voice. Beric's actor, Richard Dormer, too, is from a town in Northern Ireland, 40 minutes in the opposite direction as Conleth Hill's hometown is from me. His English accent isn't as convincing as Hill's, but the tone of his voice makes up for it.

I've said on many threads, it's a shame the showrunners didn't pay more attention to accent, having certain accents for certain Kingdoms etcetra. The problem maybe lies with the fact it is an American production and generally American people can find it harder to distinguish between specific British accents or Northern and Southern English accents, just as British people can struggle to differentiate between an East Coast and West Coast American accent, say. 

All of this and more

Joarah especially odd as his Dad and Lyanna Mormont are both given strong Northern accents

Fleabottom - whence Gendry, Davos, Karl - produces three completely different accents: midland England, Jordie (Newcastle, far North England) and east London. Especially odd as Davos is played by Liam Cunningham, an Irishman (Dublin)

Stormlands - King Robert has a distinctly northern accent in S1, while Renly is very southern/BBC/received pronunciation.  Stannis has a subtle Northern accent, not as strong as King Robert's 

Iron Islanders - no coherence at all

But for the Reach and Westerlands, universally Southern. So it feels like the casting teams do have some efforts on this, and must give some directions (Nikolaj doesn't speak with much of a Danish accent), making it all the more baffling. 

1 minute ago, Golden_Griffin said:

All of this and more

Joarah especially odd as his Dad and Lyanna Mormont are both given strong Northern accents

Fleabottom - whence Gendry, Davos, Karl - produces three completely different accents: midland England, Jordie (Newcastle, far North England) and east London. Especially odd as Davos is played by Liam Cunningham, an Irishman (Dublin)

Stormlands - King Robert has a distinctly northern accent in S1, while Renly is very southern/BBC/received pronunciation.  Stannis has a subtle Northern accent, not as strong as King Robert's 

Iron Islanders - no coherence at all

But for the Reach and Westerlands, universally Southern. So it feels like the casting teams do have some efforts on this, and must give some directions (Nikolaj doesn't speak with much of a Danish accent), making it all the more baffling. 

Oh, yes, all of this has bugged me.

Particularly when Davos asked Missandei about her accent, which she said was a Naath accent, yet it's exactly the same as Daenerys, Sansa and Arya. Davos said his Geordie accent was Flea Bottom, but it seems to me that Gendry speaks with a midlands accent. To be fair to Liam Cunningham, at least he tried something different.

Yes, the Baratheon brothers had no cohesion, either. I also didn't understand how Robert and Stannis had a northern England accent given the Stormlands distance from Winterfell, where Ned, Robb and Jon also had northern accents.

I imagined Theon's northern accent was from growing up in Winterfell with Robb and Jon, but then Balon spoke with a southern accent and Euron speaks with a hybrid southern and Danish accent.

The Tyrells and Lannisters families are the only families that each of their members share the same accent, which is impressive given Tyrion and Jaime are played by American and Danish actors respectively.

The Tarly family was ridiculous, too. Randyll and Dickon spoken with southern English accents and Samwell speaks with a northern English accent.

I really have grown to loath Liam Cunningham's accent as well as Davos' pointless and ridiculous presence in the show. Unless George gives him a really good plot and purpose in life after Stannis' death he really should not survive his king (for long).

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I really have grown to loath Liam Cunningham's accent as well as Davos' pointless and ridiculous presence in the show. Unless George gives him a really good plot and purpose in life after Stannis' death he really should not survive his king (for long).

I wouldn't mind his accent if there was more of a context behind it. If it had been established that Flea Bottom born characters spoke with a Geordie accent, it would make sense. But Gendry doesn't speak with the same accent and I am pretty sure Davos is the only character who does speak with this accent.

To be fair, though, considering Liam Cunningham is Irish, it is very impressive he can pull off such a convincing Geordie accent. But with the fact there is zero cohesion between Kingdom and accent - apart from a select few actors who have bothered to pay attention to doing a different accent - Liam Cunningham speaking with a Geordie accent for Davos really has no purpose. He may as well speak in his original Irish accent, as fellow Irish actors for Littlefinger and Roose Bolton have done.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:22 PM, Dumbass Mo Puppyeater said:

Think im more annoyed by how he was constantly referred to as 'Jorah the Andal' in early seasons even though he is a Firstman. 

You would expect a bunch of uneducated people from the other side of a different continent would be familiar with the differences in types of people from the continent on the other side of the ocean?  It is not too dissimilar from many Americans assuming any Latino is Mexican, or not realizing that someone speaking German could also be Austrian.

Too me, the fact they called him an Andal, actually made the show seem a little more realistic.

7 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Hell yeah it does.  If that was my voice I'd go into doing voice over work. 

Jorah's accent seems right to me. He sounds like a guy who used a consciously affected accent for so long that it replaced his native accent. It's often a sort of generic "somewhere north of here but classy", but it often slips into upper-middle-class Edinburgh and sometimes even into Olde Highland Laird, making it hard to nail down beyond the general impression of posh but exotically way up there. Exactly what you'd want to cultivate to impress a girl like Lynesse Hightower.

On 14/08/2017 at 9:59 PM, Styl7 said:

Don't you like the way he says khaleesi?

I have a habit of doing Jorah impressions which always involve saying "Khaleesi" a lot. I didn't realise anyone else noticed it or liked it.

17 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I wouldn't mind his accent if there was more of a context behind it. If it had been established that Flea Bottom born characters spoke with a Geordie accent, it would make sense. But Gendry doesn't speak with the same accent and I am pretty sure Davos is the only character who does speak with this accent.

To be fair, though, considering Liam Cunningham is Irish, it is very impressive he can pull off such a convincing Geordie accent. But with the fact there is zero cohesion between Kingdom and accent - apart from a select few actors who have bothered to pay attention to doing a different accent - Liam Cunningham speaking with a Geordie accent for Davos really has no purpose. He may as well speak in his original Irish accent, as fellow Irish actors for Littlefinger and Roose Bolton have done.

Roose spoke with an Irish accent...? Perhaps a bit, but if so I don't think it was deliberate. And I have no idea what Littlefinger's actor is thinking. I don't know if his accent was a conscious decision either, as it has changed over time.

As for Gendry, he doesn't have the same accent as Davos but he does have an unexplainable northern accent.

Just now, Ser Petyr Parker said:

Roose spoke with an Irish accent...? Perhaps a bit, but if so I don't think it was deliberate. And I have no idea what Littlefinger's actor is thinking. I don't know if his accent was a conscious decision either, as it has changed over time.

As for Gendry, he doesn't have the same accent as Davos but he does have an unexplainable northern accent.

Roose's Irish accent isn't strong. It is a hybrid Irish/English accent. Perhaps the actor that plays him cannot hold a strong English accent, which is why he slips into Irish quite often. Bu the tone of his voice works well for Roose, considering Roose is often mentioned in the books to being so softly spoken you can hardly hear him speak.

I think Aiden Gillan portrays Littlefinger quite well - he certainly has the look. But that is not how I imagined Littlefinger to speak. Definitely one of the most unique voices on the show.

I would say Gendry's accent is more midlands that northern. For me, I would have imagined a Flea Bottom accent to be cockney, as I looked at King's Landing as the London of the Seven Kingdoms.

50 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

I have a habit of doing Jorah impressions which always involve saying "Khaleesi" a lot. I didn't realise anyone else noticed it or liked it.

It seems like you are not alone B)

9 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

It seems like you are not alone B)

1 hour ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

You guys may or may not have already seen this, but there is a youtuber called 'Scheiffer Bates' who does brilliant GoT cast members impressions. His Jorah Mormont is the stand out for me. His mixes impression with comedy, so if you haven't already, give his impressions a watch.

9 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

You guys may or may not have already seen this, but there is a youtuber called 'Scheiffer Bates' who does brilliant GoT cast members impressions. His Jorah Mormont is the stand out for me. His mixes impression with comedy, so if you haven't already, give his impressions a watch.

I have already saw him and he is so good.. That's a gift..

Archived