Pypar is...

Angel Eyes

Nice catch.

I suspect the author is playing around with the idea of planting a seed when Jon befriends Gren and Pyp. Uncle BenJen's last words to Jon are to tell him that he is "green," meaning young and inexperienced. Jon's friends seem to reflect his development -  Gren (green?) and Pyp (a pip is a small seed) come into his life at an early stage. After he spends time with the wildlings, Satin (representing his sexual awakening, I suspect, like the red silk used to mend Mance's cloak) and Leathers (the wildlings wear leather and skins) become part of his inner circle. You can find other examples as his adventures and personal growth unfold.

So Pyp as a Florent would be interesting. I associate House Florent with all those "Greenhand" and Gardener descendants from the Reach, so  a "seed" character would be a good fit for the flora motif.

But there's also something suspicious about the House Florent fox sigil - the fox is a trickster in European story telling. Maybe Pyp does have a secret up his sleeve. The wiki reminds me that the Florents, Balls and Peakes are all descended from the same "fox" ancestor. The Balls and Peakes have played some key roles in undermining Targaryen rulers at key points in history. We are told that House Florent feels entitled to rule Highgarden in place of the Tyrells, and we know that Selyse is ambitious to be queen for Stannis and to produce offspring for a dynasty.

I wonder what's brewing under the surface with Pyp? The seed is strong?

Archived