Is Jaime and Bronn NOT Being Captured the Most Unrealistic Thing in the Entire Show??

Look, I love GoT.  So far, my grades for this season are 9, 9, 9, 10 and 8.

But come on, now.

Let's see.  Jaime and Bronn fall into the water near the edge (which seemed to be about 15 feet deep, which was bizarre enough in and of itself), and THEN, wearing full or partial armor, apparently swim so far underwater that no member of Dany's army can find them or capture them, even though it's crystal clear that they are VERY high value enemies??  My goodness, Jaime is the military leader of the forces opposing Dany, and Bronn just shot down Drogon with Dany on his back!!

Sorry, but to me, their miraculous escape without capture may well be the most unrealistic thing I've ever seen on GoT.  The only thing that's close would be Arya's incredible survival and victory over the Waif while holding her guts in with one hand (I guess), but even for that I'm holding out hope that magic was involved.

Can't imagine any magic making sense of how we saw Bronn and Jaime avoid being captured, though.

Arya and the waif is by far the most egregious stunt the show has ever pulled, but this is a close second.  It makes stuff like Meera dragging Bran singlehandedly through the land of always winter, nobody having any complaints about Cersei blowing up the sept, and Euron's navy going undetected from KL past dragonstone halfway across the continent seem reasonable.  Hell, even Sansa's decision to marry Ramsay seems more logical than Bronn's phelpsian swim.

6 hours ago, Cron said:

Sorry, but to me, their miraculous escape without capture may well be the most unrealistic thing I've ever seen on GoT.  The only thing that's close would be Arya's incredible survival and victory over the Waif while holding her guts in with one hand (I guess), but even for that I'm holding out hope that magic was involved.

The only way I can reconcile that whole thing is if Arya died and the Waif took her face. But I really doubt they're doing that. That would be far too clever.

46 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Arya and the waif is by far the most egregious stunt the show has ever pulled, but this is a close second.  It makes stuff like Meera dragging Bran singlehandedly through the land of always winter, nobody having any complaints about Cersei blowing up the sept, and Euron's navy going undetected from KL past dragonstone halfway across the continent seem reasonable.  Hell, even Sansa's decision to marry Ramsay seems more logical than Bronn's phelpsian swim.

I'm holding out hope that Arya's incredible feats in Braavos will turn out to have been possible due to magic.

Lady Crane was reaching up high for some kind of potion or something, maybe one day it will somehow be revealed that she had a magic healing potion and gave it to Arya.

Actually, though, I just thought of another contender: Jon surviving the Battle of the Bastards.  (not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, I'll look up in a minute).  I think a person would have a better chance of trying to run a mile in a downpour while dodging raindrops without getting wet than the chances Jon had of surviving that battle.  My goodness, he faced down a full cavalry charge of hundreds (thousands??) of horses, on foot with nothing but  a sword, and was fine.  In realit, he'd have been trampled to death even if they were cattle trying to avoid him rather than men on horseback with weapons trying to kill him.  And that was just in the first few minutes.

45 minutes ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

The plan to capture an wight is to me the most ridiculous and unrealistic thing in the whole show. (but Jaime "aquaman" Lannister, and Ary "Highlander" Stark, was really bad too...  

honorable mention: Having a giant fighting with his bare hands in the BoB....

Hate to say it, but I'm not a big fan of the "capture the wight" sub-plot either.

To me, the battle up north is simple.  Either Dany and her dragons can wipe the bad guys out, or humanity is screwed.  Dunno WHAT they need Cersei's "help" for, especially since Dany just annihilated the Lannister and Tarly armies.

39 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

I don't think too much about it. Daenerys was busy tending to Drogon and nobody else seemed to be near them. Not saying its a likely situation, but I can live with it. Just like I can live with Arya blocking a two handed blow by Brienne.

Well, here's the thing.  I think Jaime and Bronn would have resurfaced, gasping for air and half-drowned, right where they went into the water, IF they were even able to surface on their own at all (without being dragged out) cuz of the weight of their armor and/or gear.

And Tyrion clearly saw everything that happened.  I think he would have hurried over and told soldiers to pull Bronn and Jaime out, if only to save their lives, at which time they would have been captured as high value enemies.

I hear you about Arya being able to block a swing or two by Brienne, though.  I thought that fight was mostly realistic and believable, but yeah, there were a couple of parries that just made me go "Uh, no."  Reminded me a lot of Peter Pan and Captain Hook fighting  HARR!!

19 minutes ago, Eddard Scissorhands said:

The Fast and the Furious jump push rescue fall into deep water was already unrealistic.

Aside from the examples mentioned above, these come to mind.

Ramsey shirtless fight 

20 good men

Tyrell army non-existent/ can't fight

Stannis walking with a bunch of men to 'besiege' Winterfell

HAR!!

Good contributions.

12 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

The only way I can reconcile that whole thing is if Arya died and the Waif took her face. But I really doubt they're doing that. That would be far too clever.

Yeah, I've heard that theory, that "Arya" is really the Waif.

Like you, though, I don't believe it.  No way will they do that in the story arc of such an incredibly popular major character.

No way did Arya's story end on the streets of Braavos like that.

19 minutes ago, direwoofwoof said:

Completely unrealistic. Clearly Jamie is still relevant to the story. Not so sure about Bron of House Greedy. 

Yeah, some pretty nice plot armor, in the form of a handy underwater scuba set, I guess.

1 hour ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

This ^

Show story quality going downhill since S5.

"Is Jaime and Bronn NOT Being Captured the Most Unrealistic Thing in the Entire Show??"

The answer is, yes absolutely.  It beats every other nonsensical scene we have seen to date, not just because of the depth of the water and distance Bronn and Jamie travelled.

As I said in another thread, these men just tried to kill their queen and dragon, but the soldiers are taking it for granted that they drowned without making sure?  Meanwhile, Tyrion somehow knows Jamie survived and escaped because he has contacted Bronn to set up a meeting with Jamie...

Suspension of disbelief makes me accept the fact that the arrows missed Daenerys and that the dragon flames merely wafted over Bronn without setting him on fire, but it does not go far enough to make me accept something as ridiculous as Bronn and Jamie's escape.

The miraculous water rescue of Jaime by Bronn began what I truly consider to be the worst Game of Thrones episode in the entire series.

Besides being completely improbable even in a fantasy world, the scene was a gigantic continuity error.  I mean Tyrion sees Jaime and Bronn one minute...and then?  He thinks them burned to ashes?  Apparently not since he contacts them later in the episode.  He sees them escape into the water?  Then sees them resurface apparently ok a couple hundred yards away?  I mean what is Bronn--Aquaman or something?  And they show Tyrion go for a stroll through the battlefield, but they can't show him scanning the lake, anxiously searching for his brother and good friend?

I agree with King Loius II the worst part of episode 5 was Tyrion's ridiculously stupid plan to 'live' capture a Wight for Cersei, but what both horrendous plot decisions show is that D & D just don't give a damn any more.

7 minutes ago, storm.131 said:

"Is Jaime and Bronn NOT Being Captured the Most Unrealistic Thing in the Entire Show??"

The answer is, yes absolutely.  It beats every other nonsensical scene we have seen to date, not just because of the depth of the water and distance Bronn and Jamie travelled.

As I said in another thread, these men just tried to kill their queen and dragon, but the soldiers are taking it for granted that they drowned without making sure?  Meanwhile, Tyrion somehow knows Jamie survived and escaped because he has contacted Bronn to set up a meeting with Jamie...

Suspension of disbelief makes me accept the fact that the arrows missed Daenerys and that the dragon flames merely wafted over Bronn without setting him on fire, but it does not go far enough to make me accept something as ridiculous as Bronn and Jamie's escape.

Yeah, it was pretty bizarre.  I spent the whole week POSITIVE that Jaime and Bronn were now going to be captives of Dany, but...nope.

Honestly, the possibility that they could somehow escape from being captured never even crossed my mind, never even occurred to me for a second.

It would have been like, after the end of Episode 101, which ended with Bran falling from the tower, we had learned at the beginning of Episode 102 that he never hit the ground, cuz a gust of wind blew him sideways into a window where he landed safely on a pile of hay.

HARR!!

Archived