High Valyrian Proper Nouns

targ_loyalist

When Daenerys speaks High Valyrian to Kraznys back on Season 3, why does the name Targaryen is spelled different? She says: "Nyke Daenerys Jelmāzmo hen Targārio Lentrot, hen Valyrio Uēpo ānogār iksan. Valyrio muño ēngos ñuhys issa." I mean, it's a proper noun and already a Valyrian name, so why is it translated?

It has to do with the grammar. Targārien is in the genitive (or possessive) case. The form for the genitive is Targārio. The genitive has to be used because it's the Targaryen's house. In English we just use the noun unmodified as an adjective, but in Valyrian you have to change the form of the noun.

(Fun fact: It was for this very reason that Dave and Dan had me retranslate a line from season 4. I took an active sentence and passivized it so Daenerys could be in subject position, and the name would be recognizable to the audience.)

22 hours ago, DothrakiCreator said:

It has to do with the grammar. Targārien is in the genitive (or possessive) case. The form for the genitive is Targārio. The genitive has to be used because it's the Targaryen's house. In English we just use the noun unmodified as an adjective, but in Valyrian you have to change the form of the noun.

(Fun fact: It was for this very reason that Dave and Dan had me retranslate a line from season 4. I took an active sentence and passivized it so Daenerys could be in subject position, and the name would be recognizable to the audience.)

Oh, thanks for the explanation. It does a lot of sense now. I just remembered that in the last scene in the last episode from the third season, Missandei speaks 'Targaryen' to the Yunkai'i slaves just like it is pronounced by Westerosi people. Nice to hear about this change on Season 4. It show how much everything in the show is detailed. Your job is awesome btw. You rock, bro. 

• 6 months later...
On 8/14/2017 at 11:27 PM, DothrakiCreator said:

Guess I won't be learning High Valyrian. That's too complicated for me. Shame, I was hoping maybe I could find High Valyrian for Dummies somewhere.

Archived