Daenerys will Break the Wheel

Only 89 selfies today

I love Daenerys and she has a history of success in the Bay of Dragons when she brought freedom to the slaves.  She broke the Wheel in Essos and ended the slave trade.  But today was the day of judgment for the Tarlys and it was not the time to give the details of her plans.  She understands that to help people one must be in a position of strength. I hope Daenerys will get the chance to build that better world after the war with the Others have been won. 

Did she break the wheel or did she steal an army of slaves without paying for it as part of some revenge fantasy, burn the khals, and burn the masters of meereen?  I wasn't convinced Meereen had a happy ending yet despite her breaking the seige with her dragons.  Let's hope Daario is a better governor and ruler than Daenerys and Tyrion were.  What do you think her better world looks like?  Communism where she alone dictates who gets what?  A police state where everyone must fall in line with her morals or perish?  A democracy where heaven forbid people vote her out of power or make laws preventing her use of dragons?

6 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Did she break the wheel or did she steal an army of slaves without paying for it as part of some revenge fantasy, burn the khals, and burn the masters of meereen?  I wasn't convinced Meereen had a happy ending yet despite her breaking the seige with her dragons.  Let's hope Daario is a better governor and ruler than Daenerys and Tyrion were.  What do you think her better world looks like?  Communism where she alone dictates who gets what?  A police state where everyone must fall in line with her morals or perish?  A democracy where heaven forbid people vote her out of power or make laws preventing her use of dragons?

I have to agree that I never liked the way she "stole" the Unsullied.  She made a bargain with the guy and then roasted him instead of keeping her side of the bargain.  Yeah, he was a slaver, but there is nothing honorable about reneging on a promise.  And yes, it was great that she was then committed to freeing slaves, but she crucified supposed slavers without first determining if they were ones who supported the practice. 

4 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

I love Daenerys and she has a history of success in the Bay of Dragons when she brought freedom to the slaves.  She broke the Wheel in Essos and ended the slave trade. 

She only freed slaves from 3 cities, correct?  Not even close to all of Essos.

31 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Communism where she alone dictates who gets what?  A police state where everyone must fall in line with her morals or perish?

Either of the two sounds plausible. Why not both, though!

22 minutes ago, Lockjaw of House Boltagon said:

Other than having a former slave as one of "her most trusted advisors" (allegedly, because I don't remember Missandei actually advising Dany all that much), what has Dany done to suggest she'll improve the lives of the average Westerosi commoner? 

Nothing at all. I think it's hilarious how she harps on about Cersei being the problem, and how Glorious Dany the (insert titles) will break the wheel of serfdom in the very same scene where she burns those who won't serve her. I mean the hypocrisy reaches higher than the Wall, and yet people eat it up.

4 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

I love Daenerys and she has a history of success in the Bay of Dragons when she brought freedom to the slaves.  She broke the Wheel in Essos and ended the slave trade.  But today was the day of judgment for the Tarlys and it was not the time to give the details of her plans.  She understands that to help people one must be in a position of strength. I hope Daenerys will get the chance to build that better world after the war with the Others have been won. 

Im not sure I would describe burning people alive as a position of strength. 

Dave Hill on Dany and Jon...

“Once they know the Army of the Dead is marching, it’s time to put up or shut up. She knows he’s honest — and is honest to a fault. She’s seen the cave. She can’t continue a war and still have Seven Kingdoms to rule after the war is done. Jon is not about to send others on a deadly mission that he wouldn’t shoulder himself. She’s gotten used to the technically-in-rebellion King in the North advising her. They’re both, in a way, cut from the same cloth — they’re both idealists. They both care about the people they govern, which makes them unique in Westeros. And they both feel the same weight of the crown. All that that draws her to him. He’s good hearted and would want to ‘break the wheel’ with her.

17 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Dave Hill on Dany and Jon...

“Once they know the Army of the Dead is marching, it’s time to put up or shut up. She knows he’s honest — and is honest to a fault. She’s seen the cave. She can’t continue a war and still have Seven Kingdoms to rule after the war is done. Jon is not about to send others on a deadly mission that he wouldn’t shoulder himself. She’s gotten used to the technically-in-rebellion King in the North advising her. They’re both, in a way, cut from the same cloth — they’re both idealists. They both care about the people they govern, which makes them unique in Westeros. And they both feel the same weight of the crown. All that that draws her to him. He’s good hearted and would want to ‘break the wheel’ with her.

OK, I get why they would say Jon cares about the people he governs as he's trying to stop the zombie apocalypse. But for the average Westeros commoner, how is Dany any different from Cersei? Cersei blew up the Sept and wiped out most of a noble House, Dany burned the Tarlys and wiped out most of a noble House. Dany pays lip service to the threat beyond the Wall but so far she hasn't committed to it or lent her resources to Jon, just as Cersei. Dany's priority has been to get the throne, as is Cersei's. I don't see Dany doing much "wheel-breaking" at the moment, whatever that means.

5 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

I love Daenerys and she has a history of success in the Bay of Dragons when she brought freedom to the slaves.  She broke the Wheel in Essos and ended the slave trade.

Astapor and Yunkai went back to slaving almost immediately after Dany left them for Meereen. Why would they not immediately revert back again now that she's gone to Westeros? Are we to believe that Daario is going to stop them?

Dany can conquer just fine but all we've seen of her ruling ability is complete disaster. For as much as everyone harps about her gentle and kind heart and how people follow her willingly....I don't really see much of that.

"Join or get roasted by dragonfire" is basically slavery in all but name. How many of those people she forced to join her via fear do you think will stick with her when the tough gets going?

Moreover, she is very obsessed with the throne in that she thinks it's her right to rule. Ruling is not a right. It's a duty.

Currently the only people that understand that, IMO, are Jon, Davos, and Sansa.

1 minute ago, ser jaime canister said:

Astapor and Yunkai went back to slaving almost immediately after Dany left them for Meereen. Why would they not immediately revert back again now that she's gone to Westeros? Are we to believe that Daario is going to stop them?

Not to mention Meereen was a complete wreck when Dany was ruling it and after (do we really trust Daario can rule a city?).

Breaking the wheel is great but crippling a regions entire economy without any idea of a back up economy or plan is...not so great.

It reminds me how in the Book!Universe, people willingly sold themselves back into slavery because they were poor and starving.

9 minutes ago, Pandean said:

It reminds me how in the Book!Universe, people willingly sold themselves back into slavery because they were poor and starving.

They did that in the show too, although I only remember it as a small part of a meeting with petitioners scene.  Can't remember if she allowed it or not though. 

The Wheel is breaking on its own

Houses Baratheon, Tyrell, Martell - GONE

Houses Tully, Arryn - ALMOST GONE

House Greyjoy - Theon can't procreate and we can suppose Euron is not going to last very long

House Lannister - Cersei won't be having more children (we have that prophecy), Jaime won't marry someone else and continue the line, which means we only have Tyrion

House Stark - Brandon can't have kids, so male line is extinguished. That leaves Sansa and Arya to continue the line.

House Targaryen - Dany arguably can't have children so that leaves us with Jon.

So, there it is. The spokes on that wheel are rather thin these days. The wheel is almost broken and Dany didn't do anything yet.

5 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

They did that in the show too, although I only remember it as a small part of a meeting with petitioners scene.  Can't remember if she allowed it or not though. 

In the books she allowed it as long as she got a cut of the profits (yes, really! breaker of chains my ass), can't remember what the show did with it though, probably whitewashed the whole thing.

24 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Oh. Well, my memory sucks. O.o

Granted I was half dead the entirety of the last 3 years so there's the reason. O.o

Either way, selling oneself into slavery does not make immediately make me think of 'oh what a good and stable kingdom'

3 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I have to agree that I never liked the way she "stole" the Unsullied.  She made a bargain with the guy and then roasted him instead of keeping her side of the bargain.  Yeah, he was a slaver, but there is nothing honorable about reneging on a promise.  And yes, it was great that she was then committed to freeing slaves, but she crucified supposed slavers without first determining if they were ones who supported the practice. 

She only freed slaves from 3 cities, correct?  Not even close to all of Essos.

Well in the show slavers bay is only three cities from what vary's says when they talk about astapor and yunkai falling. But there is an incredible amount of people in esso's and she didn't free close to all of them just the ones in slavers bay. It is still a big deal but not all of essos

Well....she's had a mixed record but I do feel she's tried to do what she thought was best for the people. Now in all fairness she hasn't told the Westerosi how she can help them because she hasn't been there long. She just got to Dragonstone after all. Will she able to? That's up for debate but first she has to win the war. I think with support from Jon and other houses she'll have no problems.

Archived