How to capture a wight with fewest casualties

hallam

Jon and co may have missed a trick. The easiest way to make a wight is to simply take someone north of the wall, tie them down to a sled, kill them just before nightfall and then wait for them to wake up.

Of course Jon would never do such a thing. 

I think this has been brought up in a few spots.  I asked about it a few months back when the leaks got out.  Apparently the theory goes that wights are only raised in the presence of white walkers or possibly just the night king himself as evidenced in Hardhome.  The books support this a bit as Jon has some fresh corpses that had not yet turned kept in the ice cells and they never turn.

This is a nice thread and have the potential for nice discussions... but it frustrates me to try to reason something when the show has lost all reason...  as I posted in another thread:

In a world that we have a scenario like that:

Jon: My brother that sees things is telling me that a huge army of the dead, that is so powerful that can destroy the whole seven kingdoms is approaching...

Tyrion: Wait, isn't your brother dead?

Jon: This is the other one, I actually didn't know that he was at winterfell but this is not the question now...

Danny: Ok so proceed.. As far you are telling me you need me because this Army is SO POWERFULL that you can't defeat them with all armies in the North... so whats your plan?

Jon: Well, my plan is me and 6 other people go there, where the entire army is heading to and we capture one of them so people will believe that this is real...

Danny: So... you and other 6 people will go by yourselves, to encounter an Army that can defeat easily 10,000 northmen, and  you guys alone will capture one of them?  WOW THAT"S MAKE A LOT OF SENSE!!!! Go and take my old friend that was just cured from an incurable disease and I was just reunited with him... since it will make a lot of difference (of course 7 fighters is very different than 6....). I know that he is the only one in my camp that has some idea in how to command an entire Army but I guess this is not important.

Tyrion: I am sure that my Sister after seeing a Zombie will embrace the cause and will fight together with us.... because deep inside she is very reasonable.. by the way the pet zombie that she has, is only for protection...

You can assume that anything can make sense

On 8/14/2017 at 5:10 PM, hallam said:

Jon and co may have missed a trick. The easiest way to make a wight is to simply take someone north of the wall, tie them down to a sled, kill them just before nightfall and then wait for them to wake up.

This would not work. It's not like Walking Dead. White Walkers have to raise corpses. 

On 15.08.2017 at 1:10 AM, hallam said:

May I suggest Littlefinger?

On 15/08/2017 at 0:10 AM, hallam said:

Not sure you understand the process of raising the dead...... I understand what you mean but no it wouldnt work. 

1 hour ago, Greggles said:

So zombie Sandor vs zombie Gregor is in the cards now, I guess.

1 hour ago, Illiterati said:

Why zombie Sandor?

Just about to say the same thing, 

How have we come to the conclusion its zombie Sandor vs zombie Gregor, as far as i am aware Sandor is alive and well.

14 hours ago, L’Age d’or said:

The easiest way would be not to go about such stupidity in the first place. All of a sudden everybody acknowledges Cersei's claim to the throne and credibility, even those who are in open rebellion or trying to conquer the land. 

Nobody is acknowledging Cersei's credibility. They are acknowledging that her claim to the throne is strong enough for thousands of men to fight for it, but that's because she does in fact have thousands of men fighting for it (and also the only major remaining navy, a ton of gold to hire mercenaries, control over the roads needed to maintain supply lines, and command of various other relevant strategic resources and positions).

So, either you include her in the temporary armistice with everyone else and get the help of her army and resources in fighting the Night King, or you find some way to disable her so she doesn't use her army to stab you in the back while you're off fighting the dead. Anything else is stupid. And just pretending that her army doesn't exist because in principle you don't think it should exist would go beyond even stupid. If you can just ignore Cersei because her claim isn't rightful enough, you could just ignore the Night King too.

(Of course it is stupid that nobody thought of the idea of a temporary cease fire to postpone the Dany-Jon issue until after the dead were taken care of—it makes even more sense for Jon than for Cersei, given that Jon is a lot easier to deal with…)

Getting back on topic

1. You'd have to get one that's been separated from the group which is difficult since they travel in packs of like 500

2. A fishing net or a box might do it once one is captured unless someone brought a bunch of rope 

3. Wights don't stop moving so for the month it'll take to get back to Dragonstone, it's going to going crazy and you can't knock them out.

4. Even before then, you have to make off with one and not have the others follow

Essentially, however they do it, it's going to be unrealistic and we are all just going to have to accept it

Honestly, the only way I can think of is using someone to go out for a suicide mission and lure the wights and try to put one in a cage, but that person would probably die cause their would be a swarm of wights and you can't put this near the wall cause the wights will overwhelm it. 

Have Bran watch this person and he can tell them if the wight gets in the cage, and have Dany on a dragon kill the wights around the cage, and have people retrieve that cage. Of course this brings in the possibility that a dragon and Dany might die.

Or make Benjen get it

4 hours ago, falcotron said:

Nobody is acknowledging Cersei's credibility. They are acknowledging that her claim to the throne is strong enough for thousands of men to fight for it, but that's because she does in fact have thousands of men fighting for it (and also the only major remaining navy, a ton of gold to hire mercenaries, control over the roads needed to maintain supply lines, and command of various other relevant strategic resources and positions).

So, either you include her in the temporary armistice with everyone else and get the help of her army and resources in fighting the Night King, or you find some way to disable her so she doesn't use her army to stab you in the back while you're off fighting the dead. Anything else is stupid. And just pretending that her army doesn't exist because in principle you don't think it should exist would go beyond even stupid. If you can just ignore Cersei because her claim isn't rightful enough, you could just ignore the Night King too.

(Of course it is stupid that nobody thought of the idea of a temporary cease fire to postpone the Dany-Jon issue until after the dead were taken care of—it makes even more sense for Jon than for Cersei, given that Jon is a lot easier to deal with…)

Yes, she should not exist because Dany should have mopped the floor with her already, so it is stupid, just like the above block of text.

19 hours ago, Little Lady Mormont said:

What about Uncle Benjen? Would he could as a wight? 

Do you mean, 'Would Benjen do as evidence of a wight for Cersei?' Benjen tells Meera that he is unable to pass beyond the Wall, as the ancient spells on the Wall prevent the dead from passing through it. Presumably if he went through the wall something even worse would happen him, probably a final death.

Archived