How to capture a wight with fewest casualties

hallam

25 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Do you mean, 'Would Benjen do as evidence of a wight for Cersei?' Benjen tells Meera that he is unable to pass beyond the Wall, as the ancient spells on the Wall prevent the dead from passing through it. Presumably if he went through the wall something even worse would happen him, probably a final death.

Will these ancient spells prevent the BTW Suicide Squad bringing a wight back then? Mission impossible? 

24 minutes ago, Little Lady Mormont said:

Will these ancient spells prevent the BTW Suicide Squad bringing a wight back then? Mission impossible? 

The difference is that Benjen isn't the same kind of wight that the wights are, if that makes sense.

A WW stabbed him in the gut with an Ice Sword and was left for dead. The CotF found him and shoved a piece of dragonglass into his chest. Benjen has a conscience and is able to think for himself; the wights are in complete control of the WW.

I know that in the books, Alliser Throne was able to bring the hand of a wight all the way to King's Landing, but by the time Tyrion saw him, the hand of the wight hand had decomposed. I can't remember if this is how it happens in the show, though.

2 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

The difference is that Benjen isn't the same kind of wight that the wights are, if that makes sense.

A WW stabbed him in the gut with an Ice Sword and was left for dead. The CotF found him and shoved a piece of dragonglass into his chest. Benjen has a conscience and is able to think for himself; the wights are in complete control of the WW.

I know that in the books, Alliser Throne was able to bring the hand of a wight all the way to King's Landing, but by the time Tyrion saw him, the hand of the wight hand had decomposed. I can't remember if this is how it happens in the show, though.

:) ah thank you :) I'm just about keeping up between my book and tv mythos'!

1 hour ago, Lordsteve666 said:

Why didn't they just fly a dragon up there, tell it to grab a mouthful of dead things and then drop 'em in the Red Keep courtyard?

Far easier than sending the Seven Samurai up north on a suicide mission.

Yeah... so there's "plot" I guess, or whatever this thing they are writing is. 

But in their defense, why didn't Gandalf just hop on an eagle and drop the ring into the crate of mount doom? 

Btw, after a couple snapshots of the leaks that I couldn't unsee make me wonder if they will even capture a wight? Or is it all for shit and filling screentime with "action"? 

18 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

But in their defense, why didn't Gandalf just hop on an eagle and drop the ring into the crate of mount doom? 

The difference is that, although Tolkien (and Jackson) didn't spell it out as well as they maybe could have for casual readers/viewers, there are very good answers to that one. I'm sure you've heard them all before (Gandalf or Gwaihir are too powerful and therefore too corruptible; Sauron could easily sense the ring if not for the distraction of Aragon's war; the Nazgul are so fearsome that nothing dares fly over Mordor; the Eagles don't even dare fly over the lands of men; etc.), and none of them applies to flying a dragon over the Army of the Dead to capture a stray wight.

15 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Just about to say the same thing, 

How have we come to the conclusion its zombie Sandor vs zombie Gregor, as far as i am aware Sandor is alive and well.

one nearly died fighting against Oberyn Martell... maybe considered as an undead... Plus if the other Clegane dies beyond the wall and is brought back to the capital, then They will both be fighting against each other... That's how I undestood it... I don't know if I'm off tracks...

10 minutes ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

one nearly died fighting against Oberyn Martell... maybe considered as an undead... Plus if the other Clegane dies beyond the wall and is brought back to the capital, then They will both be fighting against each other... That's how I undestood it... I don't know if I'm off tracks...

I understand how The Mountain is undead and why

If sandor clegane dies beyond the Wall, they will burn his body then and there. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

I think that argument is at least as old as the internet. :D

It would be either shot down, or hunted down by nazguls on fell beasts.

Just now, Widowmaker 811 said:

No need to capture a wight.  They already have one:  Jon.  

Not sure if you are joking here or not. I'll reply as if you aren't:

Jon is a completely different type of wight, resurrected through fire. He lives and breaths and is still Jon, despite being a wight. In the same way that Beric is still Beric, but over time, with the amount of resurrections he has had, he has lost a part of himself and lost a lot of his memories, but can still function. Unlike the wights under the command of the WWs, who don't seem to think for themselves and are merely the WW's puppets. Plus, Jon doesn't seem to want anyone to know he is a wight.

If you were joking, then ignore all I said!

Neither Jon nor BenJen are wights in my book.  Both are sentient and independently thinking and acting.  Wights are cadavers turned puppets under the control of wight walkers.  This is why it doesn't make sense to me that they would take a wight to KL without its host walker.

What am I missing?

13 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

Neither Jon nor BenJen are wights in my book.  Both are sentient and independently thinking and acting.  Wights are cadavers turned puppets under the control of wight walkers.

To book readers who follow GRRM interviews and web postings, "wight" pretty clearly means anyone brought back from the dead by any means. Jon, Beric, and Cat are "fire wights", while the ones used by the Others are "ice wights" (and Coldhands? presumably an "ice wight", but not the same kind?). In GRRM's terms, Jon is a wight, and so is show!Benjen, and we don't yet know about book!Benjen.

But of course that terminology isn't actually used in the books. Nor is it used on the TV show, or the TV show's metatext. So, it's confusing, but unavoidable, that different groups of fans use the same word in different ways.

5 minutes ago, falcotron said:

To book readers who follow GRRM interviews and web postings, "wight" pretty clearly means anyone brought back from the dead by any means. Jon, Beric, and Cat are "fire wights", while the ones used by the Others are "ice wights" (and Coldhands? presumably an "ice wight", but not the same kind?). In GRRM's terms, Jon is a wight, and so is show!Benjen, and we don't yet know about book!Benjen.

But of course that terminology isn't actually used in the books. Nor is it used on the TV show, or the TV show's metatext. So, it's confusing, but unavoidable, that different groups of fans use the same word in different ways.

I appreciate the discussion, as I'm not a bookreader.

Whatever the terminology used, I believe Jon and Beric are different than BenJen and the AoD.  Coldhands seems to be somewhere in the spectrum between the two extremes.  Pale and dead, yet sentient and independent.

13 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

I appreciate the discussion, as I'm not a bookreader.

Whatever the terminology used, I believe Jon and Beric are different than BenJen and the AoD.  Coldhands seems to be somewhere in the spectrum between the two extremes.  Pale and dead, yet sentient and independent.

Benjen was stabbed in the gut by a WW and left for dead. The CotF saved him by sticking dragonglass into his stomach, before he could turn into a wight. Shoving dragonglass into a first man is what they did to create a WW. Benjen may not have died at all.

Archived