Why would Davos have risked so much to go find Gendry?

Wildling Queen

38 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

I'm really confused as to why it was so important to find Gendry. What purpose would he serve for Jon's cause? I'm assuming it isn't his parentage, since Davos didn't even want him to tell Jon about it.

With the prospect of Dany unleashing three dragons on King's Landing (or even just the prospect of a protracted siege), Gendry was in danger. 

He just wanted him out of KL and up to Winterfell where he would be safe from the war (for the most part) and out of Cersie's reach. 

4 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

With the prospect of Dany unleashing three dragons on King's Landing (or even just the prospect of a protracted siege), Gendry was in danger. 

He just wanted him out of KL and up to Winterfell where he would be safe from the war (for the most part) and out of Cersie's reach. 

Thank you! That makes sense and is a very Davos-type thing to do. I was SO confused by this last night!

34 minutes ago, Lockjaw of House Boltagon said:

The plot demanded it. There was also no reason why Gendry chose to go on a suicide mission beyond the Wall to fight creatures he's never even seen. 

I was writing something very similar....

In a world that we have a scenario like that:

Jon: My brother that sees things is telling me that a huge army of the dead, that is so powerful that can destroy the whole seven kingdoms is approaching...

Tyrion: Wait, isn't your brother dead?

Jon: This is the other one, I actually didn't know that he was at winterfell but this is not the question now...

Danny: Ok so proceed.. As far you are telling me you need me because this Army is SO POWERFULL that you can't defeat them with all armies in the North... so whats your plan?

Jon: Well, my plan is me and 6 other people go there, where the entire army is heading to and we capture one of them so people will believe that this is real...

Danny: So... you and other 6 people will go by yourselves, to encounter an Army that can defeat easily 10,000 northmen, and  you guys alone will capture one of them?  WOW THAT"S MAKE A LOT OF SENSE!!!! Go and take my old friend that was just cured from an incurable disease and I was just reunited with him... since it will make a lot of difference (of course 7 fighters is very different than 6....). I know that he is the only one in my camp that has some idea in how to command an entire Army but I guess this is not important.

Tyrion: I am sure that my Sister after seeing a Zombie will embrace the cause and will fight together with us.... because deep inside she is very reasonable.. by the way the pet zombie that she has, is only for protection...

You can assume that anything can make sense

5 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

Thank you! That makes sense and is a very Davos-type thing to do. I was SO confused by this last night!

No problem. The part of Gendry's reintroduction to the story that bugged me was his sudden and inexplicable mastery of the warhammmer.  

But I'm going to assume he has been practicing all those years he spent rowing around Dragonstone. 

5 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

No problem. The part of Gendry's reintroduction to the story that bugged me was his sudden and inexplicable mastery of the warhammmer.  

But I'm going to assume he has been practicing all those years he spent rowing around Dragonstone. 

Yes, and it seemed they were trying to show that Gendry now has some hero worship for Robert.

He is handy with a hammer because he is a blacksmith. He also has a talent for fighting and natural strength as highlighted in the show. Its not inconceivable he has acquired some mastery with a Warhammer in the past  few years.

Of course this will play out differently and in more detail in the books, where he is already anointed as a Knight, and is oblivious to his heritage, if I am not mistaken.

4 minutes ago, daemonTheBlack said:

He is handy with a hammer because he is a blacksmith. He also has a talent for fighting and natural strength as highlighted in the show. Its not inconceivable he has acquired some mastery with a Warhammer in the past  few years.

I would think him being handy with a hammer because he is a blacksmith would be so very obvious.  Robert Jordan did the same thing with a character in his Wheel of Time series.  Gendry also told Davos that he knew he needed to be ready even though he wasn't sure for what, so yeah, it is very plausible that he has been practicing with it.  I just think the size of it is a tad ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Lurid Jester said:

Sucker punching two loser gold cloaks is no evidence that he's suddenly some master fighter.

2 hours ago, Wildling Queen said:

I'm really confused as to why it was so important to find Gendry. What purpose would he serve for Jon's cause? I'm assuming it isn't his parentage, since Davos didn't even want him to tell Jon about it.

He didn't even want Gendry to serve Jon's cause. He wanted Gendry to move on someplace safer. He tracked down Gendry because he felt responsible for him. Is it a bit of a stretch? Sure, but there are way worse issues with the writing than that.

I think it was because he was already there. He didn't make a seperate trip to kingslanding to do it and he wasn't really risking anything. Remember he said I haven't been here in years. I think he just wanted to save gendry because he is the last living person related to stannis. Also and this is something most people might not catch is that davos is essentially the "good" guy in the show. He risked everything to save gendry and I think it's one of those things he can look back on and say "that was the right thing to do" and  be proud of it because there was no grey area in it at all for davos because he saved gendry from a horrible and needless fate.

As for gendry fighting in the north he has been powerless for most of his life. He was an apprentice in KL,then forced to take the black,then captured and brought to harrenhaul,then escapes and is captured by the brotherhood who after he trusts then sell him to the red women who then plans to burn him alive,  Then has to go into hiding again after davos saves him. Now for the first time in his life he has a choice to do whatever he wants and given that he already thinks of robert baratheon as his father he might want to be a warrior just like him. I mean he carries a giant war hammer.

Gendry is the son of Robert ergo heir to Kings Landing

Jon is King in the North

Dany is heir to the Targaryen lineage

They now have all three of the natural heirs to all the kingdoms making all their claims valid. A very important point to the people and the Noblemen of whom to follow.

5 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I would think him being handy with a hammer because he is a blacksmith would be so very obvious. 

Gendry said that he can't use swords, though. Being a blacksmith doesn't guarantee an ability to use weapons. I think it was more to show that he has come to embrace being Robert's son, so learning how to use a warhammer is a fitting tribute to his father.

As for Davos' reasons for getting Gendry, Davos was fiercely loyal to Stannis and to House Baratheon; Davos freed Gendry and planned how Gendry would survive, he will see Gendry as his responsibility. His original plan was for Gendry to come to Winterfell, presumably to work as a blacksmith. If they had actually mined some dragonglass, he could have come in handy making dragonglass swords, but I'm not sure how much mining they actually got done.

Gendry has no real claim to speak of, he was (at best) an acknowledged bastard of Robert, and (in Westeros at least) being a bastard does not put you in the succession unless legitimized*. That said, I don't think Gendry cares about any claims on the throne he might have had, he just cares about knowing who his father was, and Robert was a legend in his own time. The fact that, on a closer look, Robert was a fucking mess doesn't really matter to Gendry.

*legitimizing a bastard is a very different thing from acknowledging or even officially recognizing them

Archived