Why would Davos have risked so much to go find Gendry?

Wildling Queen

7 hours ago, Wildling Queen said:

I'm really confused as to why it was so important to find Gendry. What purpose would he serve for Jon's cause? I'm assuming it isn't his parentage, since Davos didn't even want him to tell Jon about it.

He sent Gendry to Kings Landing in the first place. Probably wanted to check he was OK.

Davos was a bannerman to Stannis, Gendry is the last Baratheon in the show with any sort of claim on the Stormlands at all.

Having a bastard is always useful in the long term, probably why Varys saw to Gendry in the books too. You never know when they are useful.

7 hours ago, Wildling Queen said:

I'm really confused as to why it was so important to find Gendry. What purpose would he serve for Jon's cause? I'm assuming it isn't his parentage, since Davos didn't even want him to tell Jon about it.

Right up there with why was Jon's corpse the most important thing to him have Stannis died... because D&D wanted it to happen.

Well he definitely cant have been brought back because thinks he has a good claim and to take what truely is his. Gendry is not a legitimate child of Roberts and nor can it be proved. Davos follows Jon now so having him be sneaky and bringing another character who could potentially ruin everything is not really in him. We hear Davos tell him to keep his Heritage a secret but just blurts out to Jon which I think provides a nice bit of nostalgia. 

I think we can assume Davos did not go out his way to find Gendry it was merely an afterthought or a by product of taking Tyrion to KL. Again I think we can assume Davos is aware of his blacksmith skills and wants him there for his ability to forge steel, or even more so his ability to forge Valyrian steel.

Now we never see gendry with Valyrian steel, we can refer back to Tywin Lannisters words. There was only 3 smiths who are able to work with the material and one of the is Gendrys former employers.

Gendry is the son of Robert ergo heir to Kings Landing

Jon is King in the North

Dany is heir to the Targaryen lineage

They now have all three of the natural heirs to all the kingdoms making all their claims valid. A very important point to the people and the Noblemen of whom to follow.

Although with Gendry, I think his skill with blacksmithing will be to forge weapons

10 hours ago, direwoofwoof said:

I wondered if Gendry would be able to apply his skills to creating weapons to kill the dead. I'm also holding out for the Gendry-Arya reunion.

Exactly!! Gendry is well known for weapon crafting. They have all the dragonass, i mean dragonglass they can handle, now they need a smith. Smart of Davos...

12 hours ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

I was writing something very similar....

In a world that we have a scenario like that:

Jon: My brother that sees things is telling me that a huge army of the dead, that is so powerful that can destroy the whole seven kingdoms is approaching...

Tyrion: Wait, isn't your brother dead?

Jon: This is the other one, I actually didn't know that he was at winterfell but this is not the question now...

Danny: Ok so proceed.. As far you are telling me you need me because this Army is SO POWERFULL that you can't defeat them with all armies in the North... so whats your plan?

Jon: Well, my plan is me and 6 other people go there, where the entire army is heading to and we capture one of them so people will believe that this is real...

Danny: So... you and other 6 people will go by yourselves, to encounter an Army that can defeat easily 10,000 northmen, and  you guys alone will capture one of them?  WOW THAT"S MAKE A LOT OF SENSE!!!! Go and take my old friend that was just cured from an incurable disease and I was just reunited with him... since it will make a lot of difference (of course 7 fighters is very different than 6....). I know that he is the only one in my camp that has some idea in how to command an entire Army but I guess this is not important.

Tyrion: I am sure that my Sister after seeing a Zombie will embrace the cause and will fight together with us.... because deep inside she is very reasonable.. by the way the pet zombie that she has, is only for protection...

You can assume that anything can make sense

It looks like a DC plot, doesn't it?

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Gendry has no real claim to speak of, he was (at best) an acknowledged bastard of Robert, and (in Westeros at least) being a bastard does not put you in the succession unless legitimized*. That said, I don't think Gendry cares about any claims on the throne he might have had, he just cares about knowing who his father was, and Robert was a legend in his own time. The fact that, on a closer look, Robert was a fucking mess doesn't really matter to Gendry.

*legitimizing a bastard is a very different thing from acknowledging or even officially recognizing them

While this is generally true, when it comes to the extinction of a house, people sometimes make an exception. Depending on who's in charge in the end, it's likely they'd be willing to legitimize Gendry so the Baratheon line could continue. Not saying he'd want or even accept it or that anyone other than Jon would be willing to do this, but him being the only surviving blood relative of a great house, bastard or not, would likely get him the Baratheon surname and anything that goes with it (Storm's End, Stormlands, etc but not the throne).

4 minutes ago, Noelle Snow said:

While this is generally true, when it comes to the extinction of a house, people sometimes make an exception. Depending on who's in charge in the end, it's likely they'd be willing to legitimize Gendry so the Baratheon line could continue. Not saying he'd want or even accept it or that anyone other than Jon would be willing to do this, but him being the only surviving blood relative of a great house, bastard or not, would likely get him the Baratheon surname and anything that goes with it (Storm's End, Stormlands, etc but not the throne).

True, but that would depend on someone else granting him that title, as you say. What I meant was that he currently has no claim he could pursue in his own right, neither as Robert's heir nor as the last Baratheon (which, in the show at least, it would seem that he is).

27 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

True, but that would depend on someone else granting him that title, as you say. What I meant was that he currently has no claim he could pursue in his own right, neither as Robert's heir nor as the last Baratheon (which, in the show at least, it would seem that he is).

On that I agree. As of this moment in time, House Baratheon is no more as he has no claim on anything. Him continuing the line is all dependent on where the journey ends for everyone.

45 minutes ago, Noelle Snow said:

Im not 100% on his story line to be honest but, hes obviously a good smith and going to be valuable in the forging of Valyrian Steel when they work out how to make it. So let him volunteer his services to go fight some dead people beyond the wall?!?! makes no sense. 

However if he does make it deep in season 8 then I could potentially see a legitimisation of Gendry and him being granted the Stormlands etc. 

18 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

He didn't even want Gendry to serve Jon's cause. He wanted Gendry to move on someplace safer. He tracked down Gendry because he felt responsible for him. Is it a bit of a stretch? Sure, but there are way worse issues with the writing than that.

Understood. I was having trouble figuring it out during the show. It was a very Davos thing to do, keeping Gendry safe. :)

19 hours ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

I was writing something very similar....

In a world that we have a scenario like that:

Jon: My brother that sees things is telling me that a huge army of the dead, that is so powerful that can destroy the whole seven kingdoms is approaching...

Tyrion: Wait, isn't your brother dead?

Jon: This is the other one, I actually didn't know that he was at winterfell but this is not the question now...

Danny: Ok so proceed.. As far you are telling me you need me because this Army is SO POWERFULL that you can't defeat them with all armies in the North... so whats your plan?

Jon: Well, my plan is me and 6 other people go there, where the entire army is heading to and we capture one of them so people will believe that this is real...

Danny: So... you and other 6 people will go by yourselves, to encounter an Army that can defeat easily 10,000 northmen, and  you guys alone will capture one of them?  WOW THAT"S MAKE A LOT OF SENSE!!!! Go and take my old friend that was just cured from an incurable disease and I was just reunited with him... since it will make a lot of difference (of course 7 fighters is very different than 6....). I know that he is the only one in my camp that has some idea in how to command an entire Army but I guess this is not important.

Tyrion: I am sure that my Sister after seeing a Zombie will embrace the cause and will fight together with us.... because deep inside she is very reasonable.. by the way the pet zombie that she has, is only for protection...

You can assume that anything can make sense

The problem with this criticism is that Jon states that the wildlings will provide a force to assist him.

Now, that didn't happen in the end as the wildlings apparently weren't willing to go back north of the wall (other than Tormund).

Even so, when they were discussing Jon going north to capture a wight it was clearly stated that Jon expected the wildlings to provide a complimentary force.

6 hours ago, SerMudz said:

Gendry admiring his dad and basically being Robert 2.0 was way too much 

I disagree on that. I actually thought that was a well thought out characterization. As a person who has worked with children and young adults for many years, I've found that most of them idolize any parent they've never had. For Gendry, who barely even remembers his mother, having a father he can suddenly not only name, but learn his history - which also largely paints him as heroic for overthrowing the Mad King - it makes sense that he would venerate and emulate Robert.

1 hour ago, Lord Okra said:

The problem with this criticism is that Jon states that the wildlings will provide a force to assist him.

Now, that didn't happen in the end as the wildlings apparently weren't willing to go back north of the wall (other than Tormund).

Even so, when they were discussing Jon going north to capture a wight it was clearly stated that Jon expected the wildlings to provide a complimentary force.

The wildlings are providing the handful of nameless red shirts that are currently carrying the gear and wil inevitably be killed before we hear them speak or learn their names. 

:)

27 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

I disagree on that. I actually thought that was a well thought out characterization. As a person who has worked with children and young adults for many years, I've found that most of them idolize any parent they've never had. For Gendry, who barely even remembers his mother, having a father he can suddenly not only name, but learn his history - which also largely paints him as heroic for overthrowing the Mad King - it makes sense that he would venerate and emulate Robert.

But it is out of character for book Gendry, he called Robert a drunk slob and he also expressed dislike for his father for abandoning him. Put the two together and I can't see how he could develop such an admiration for him. Show Gendry is basically a different character though, so I guess it can make sense there.

6 minutes ago, elipride said:

But it is out of character for book Gendry, he called Robert a drunk slob and he also expressed dislike for his father for abandoning him. Put the two toguether and I can't see how he could develop such an admiration for him. Show Gendry is basically a different character though, so I guess it can make sense there.

I agree, it would be out of character for Gendry in the books. Didn't Robert have another bastard son in the books, though? One who I think idolized Robert. Maybe that made more sense to the writers than Gendry hating his father once he knew for sure who he was.

Archived